Dare go da welfare check


Senior News Editor since 2011

Huber Heights Man Indicted on Murder Charge in Death of Toddler
Monday, April 20 2015, 08:09 AM EDT


HUBER HEIGHTS -- A 22-year-old Huber Heights man faces murder, manslaughter, assault and endangering charges following the death of a 21-month-old boy.

Dionte R. Evans is accused of killing his girlfriend's child April 8 while he was watching the boy. The Montgomery County Coroner's Office determined the child, Keyontae R. Ellis-Bell, died as a result of blunt force trauma.

Keyontae's mother called 911 when she had returned home from work and found her son not breathing.

On Friday, Evans was indicted on two counts of murder, one count of involuntary manslaughter, one count of felonious assault and two counts of endangering children.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Boyfriend arrested for killing toddler in Lanham
10:29 a.m. EDT April 23, 2015


LANHAM, Md. (WUSA9) -- A Prince George's County man was arrested Thursday for killing his girlfriend's toddler, according to police.

Joshua Riley, 29, of Lanham, Md. has been charged with first degree murder, second degree murder, child abuse and other related charges, police said.

On April 9, police officers were called to the hospital to investigate a report of child abuse. A mother had come home from work to find her 23-month-old son unresponsive. Police say Riley was watching the child.

The toddler died on April 15.

Riley lived at the home and was in a romantic relationship with the mother, police said.

A medical examiner determined the toddler died from blunt force injuries and the manner of death was a homicide, police said. A warrant was obtained and Riley was arrested.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Baton Rouge mother indicted on 2nd-degree murder charge, faces life in prison after allegedly killing 2-year-old daughter


April 29, 2015

A 22-year-old Baton Rouge woman who police say admitted to shoving her 2-year-old daughter against a shower wall was indicted Wednesday on a second-degree murder charge in the child’s Dec. 29 death.

The East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner’s Office ruled the death of Da’Laijah Smith a homicide after finding she died of severe blunt-force injuries to her head, neck, chest and stomach.

The child also suffered rib fractures, and abrasions and contusions on her arms and legs.

She was found unresponsive at the Beechwood Drive home where the mother and daughter lived.

Candice Smith told police she forced her child against the wall and the child hit her head.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Former SEC football player charged with murder in Gwinnett
10:44 p.m. Wednesday, April 29, 2015


Gwinnett County police have charged a former Southeastern Conference football player with murder in connection with the death of a 4-year-old boy.

Steven Terrence Singleton, a former football standout
:rolleyes: at Buford High School and college player at both LSU and South Carolina, was booked into the Gwinnett County jail around 5 p.m. Wednesday. Online records showed the 26-year-old was being held without bond on charges of felony murder and first-degree cruelty to children.

Arrest warrants obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution accused Singleton of “inflicting fatal brain injuries” against a youngster named Tye Hardin on Saturday.

In the last several days, Singleton posted multiple times on Facebook about the same child, a 4-year-old boy he called his “little buddy.” A GoFundMe.com page set up for that child’s mother said the youngster passed away Monday after “a head injury that (left) him in the hospital on life support, brain dead.”


The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Mom charged with strangling infant son: ‘I don’t deserve to live’
By Antonio Antenucci
April 29, 2015 | 8:28pm


Latisha Fisher at her arraignment on strangulation charges on Wednesday.
Photo: John M. Mantel/New York Post

The evil mom charged with smothering her 1-year-old son to death in a midtown burger chain’s bathroom last month told cops shortly after her arrest “I don’t deserve to live,” according to newly released court papers.

“Am I going to get life in prison?” Latisha Fisher axed a detective at Midtown South Precinct hours after the alleged killing inside of 5 Boro Burger March 30. ”I don’t deserve to live. That was a baby.”

Fisher, who was arraigned Wednesday in Manhattan Supreme Court on one count of strangulation, sobbed as prosecutors described the tragic incident.

The worker had found Fisher, “sitting on the closed toilet seat, crying and rocking the child,” said Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Clerkin. “ [Gavriel] was foaming at the mouth and his eyes rolled back.”

Fisher, 35, allegedly told police, “the devil made me do it,” and demonstrated how she suffocated little Gavriel Ortiz-Fisher by cupping her hands over the boy’s mouth to stop his crying, according to the court papers.

Defense lawyer Bryan Konoski argued that although Fisher was deemed mentally fit for trial, her doctor noted she had “demonstrated active psychosis symptoms.”

Additional charges could be added once the medical examiner determines the cause of death, prosecutors said.


The 1-year-old child was found with foam coming out of his nose and mouth at a restaurant near Penn Station on Monday.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Suspect charged in brutal murder of 5-year-old boy
KHOU.com staff 1:59 p.m. CDT May 6, 2015


HOUSTON – Capital murder charges have been filed in the brutal murder of a 5-year-old boy.

Sherrick Washington, 26, is charged with killing his girlfriend's son on Sunday, May 3.

Washington repeatedly threw Amarie Daniels against a wall, a refrigerator and furniture, according to court documents.

The child wasn't breathing and a woman was performing CPR when Harris County Sheriff's deputies arrived at the northwest Harris County apartment.

Amarie was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital by Life Flight, but doctors weren't able to save him.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Beatings killed unborn baby, police say
11:46 a.m. CDT May 6, 2015


A 36-year-old man from Gibson is accused of attacking his girlfriend multiple times, causing the death of their unborn child, authorities said today.

Tyson Dewayne Cheavis, of 188 Jimmy's Trailer Court, confessed Tuesday to hitting his 27-year-old girlfriend despite being aware of her pregnancy, Terrebonne Parish Sheriff Jerry Larpenter said.

The multiple injuries she sustained over several weeks, which included bruises, swelling and unconsciousness, ultimately led to the baby's death, the sheriff said in a news release. A hospital exam revealed the child had no heartbeat.

Physicians confirmed that the victim was in her second trimester at the time of the baby's death. The child's gender is unknown at this time.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Mother arrested in case of baby found in trash compactor
6:15 p.m. CDT May 5, 2015


SLIDELL, La. -- A 22-year-old woman who had hidden her pregnancy from family and friends has been charged in the death of the child, whose body was found in an apartment complex trash compactor Monday.

Antwonetta Jones was booked with second-degree murder.

Slidell Police Chief Randy Smith said Jones delivered the baby in a bathtub and that a short time later it began choking and died. He said Jones told them she got scared and when the child stopped breathing, she put her in a box and brought it to the trash compactor.

Coroner Charles Preston said the child was a full-term six-pound baby girl with no injuries and had likely been alive for 4-12 hours. Had Jones gotten help the baby likely would have been fine. She is being charged for not seeking help that likely would have assured the child had lived.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Cary police charge mother with involuntary manslaughter of 4-month-old



CARY, N.C. (WTVD) --
Cary police said they have arrested 33-year-old Shenequa Walker in connection with the death of her 4-month-old son.

Walker was taken into custody Sunday afternoon and has been charged with child abuse - willful act or omission causing serious bodily injury, and involuntary manslaughter. Both charges are felonies.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Mom faces murder charges, blames God for child's death
Updated: May 20, 2015 9:54 AM PST



Callia Elia, 2 (left) is now dead and her sister Elena Elia, 3 (right) was hospitalized for burns.

A 36-year-old woman faces new charges of murder after her youngest child was found dead in the mother's apartment.

Marie J. Chishahayo
have been charges with second-degree murder in addition to four counts of child abuse or neglect.

The new charges come after a Jackson County medical examiner ruled her 2-year-old's death a homicide.

According to court records, police were called to an apartment complex at East 13th and Vine streets on March 5 on reports of a burned child.

A 2-year-old girl was found dead and her 3-year-old sister was taken to the Children's Mercy Hospital. Two other children, who are 9 years old and 5 months old, were also found inside the apartment.

The mother, according to court records, told police initially, that she had not hit the children. But she said the 9-year-old child had hit the children to punish them. She said he told her that he heated a knife and burned one of the children all over the child's body. She said she allowed him to do this because God had told him to do so.

Upon further questioning she said she had hit both children, using a long plastic rod on one. And she said she had hit the other because the child would not get out of bed.

Court documents said the mother admitted to the police that the 9-year-old boy did most of the abuse. She said she saw him pick up the girl later found dead and throw her into the wall several times Thursday morning.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Virginia Beach father arrested, charged with killing daughter
Posted 11:32 pm, May 22, 2015


Virginia Beach, Va. – Neighbors in the Ocean Gate Apartment Complex are on high alert after hearing that a child was killed in her home earlier this month.

According to Virginia Beach Police, the girl was killed between 9 p.m. on May 7th and 3 a.m. on May 8th. Police arrested her father, Alton Chavis, 29, on May 9th. He has been charged with second-degree murder.


Senior News Editor since 2011

May 28, 2015
Fort Worth father arrested in fatal beating of 2-year-old son



A Fort Worth man was arrested Thursday afternoon on a capital murder warrant, accused of fatally injuring his 2-year-old son last month, then not seeking help for the unresponsive boy for more than four hours.

Court documents allege Demarcus Trishun Taylor sent a message on April 22 to his girlfriend via Facebook, telling her that his son, Kamron Tremon Taylor, was unresponsive and not acting normal — and even sent her a video of the injured boy.

About four and a half hours after getting the message, Taylor’s girlfriend arrived home at their apartment the 3200 block of Polo Club Drive North and called 911.

The toddler was taken by ambulance to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth, where medical personnel determined he had suffered a skull fracture and burns to his lower body.

He also had healing rib fractures, grab marks on his forearm, belt or similar patterned marks across his back and a bruise under his left eye, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Kamron died two days later, on April 24, from what the Tarrant County medical examiner later determined was blunt force trauma of the head, the affidavit states.

Father’s account changed

Kamron had been living with his father and the father’s girlfriend for at least a month before he was injured
, according to the affidavit.

When interviewed on the day his son was hospitalized, Taylor told crimes against children Detective B.S. Banes that he had been home alone with Kamron all day and saw the boy urinate on the living room floor.

He said he had scolded Kamron and told him to get in a corner when the boy suddenly collapsed on the carpet and became unresponsive. He then put the boy in the tub and turned on the shower to attempt to revive him, unintentionally running hot water over the boy’s body for about 20 seconds before realizing it, according to the affidavit.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Police arrest one, seek second suspect in 6-year-old's death
Court documents say autopsy showed signs of abuse, trauma in different stages of healing on child's body

UPDATED 12:19 AM EDT May 31, 2015


CINCINNATI —There are lots of question surrounding the death of a young child.[/B

Police say the child was rushed to the hospital in cardiac arrest, where the child died earlier this week.

Investigators have arrested Dominic Beal, 40. He's charged with one count of child endangering.

A second suspect, Markeeta Beal, is wanted on the same charge.

Police said the incident happened at an apartment in the 1200 block of Spring Street in PendletonTuesday night.

Deslinn Nelson, 6, was rushed to Children's Hospital after suffering an injury. The child later died.

Court documents state an autopsy was performed and it showed there were signs of abuse and trauma in different stages of healing on the child's body.

Police say the Beals were the child's guardian.



Markeeta Beal, 36


Senior News Editor since 2011

Father accused in alleged beating death over "potty training" frustration
1:06 p.m. CDT June 2, 2015


HOUSTON - The father of a 3-year-old boy has been charged with allegedly beating his son to death over "potty training" frustration.

Anthony Powell, 24, is charged with capital murder of a child under 6 years old. Powell's sister, Prosha Land, 23, has been charged with injury to a child by omission.

According to court documents, Powell was seen by his sister and other witnesses in the home hitting his son when he had an "accident" and didn't make it to the bathroom. One episode was so severe that the child was hospitalized and later died.


Senior News Editor since 2011

East Haven Mom Charged With Children's Murder



An East Haven, Connecticut, mother has been charged with the murders of her two young children, who were found in the family's home last Tuesday.

Police said they have obtained an arrest warrant charging LeRoya Moore, 36, of Strong Street in East Haven, with two counts of murder and three counts of reckless endangerment in the first degree in connection with the deaths of her children, Aleisha Moore, 6, and Daaron Moore, 8.


Mother Of Children Found Dead Had Prior Abuse Conviction


The mother of two children found dead in an East Haven home Tuesday was convicted of child abuse and had two other children removed from her custody in 2006 after police said she repeatedly beat her 4-year-old daughter with the handle of a sponge mop
, according to court documents and state child protection officials.

It was the second child endangerment-related conviction for LeRoya Moore within five years. In 2001, Moore, who at the time went by her maiden name White, was convicted of reckless endangerment, a charge that had been reduced from a more serious charge of risk of injury to a minor, court records show.


EAST HAVEN, Conn. (AP) – A Connecticut woman has been charged with murder in the deaths of her two children whose bodies were found last week in a home filled with natural gas.

Thirty-six-year-old LeRoya Moore is charged with two counts of murder and three counts of reckless endangerment.

Her two children, 8-year-old Daaron and 6-year-old Aleisha, were found dead inside their mother’s home in East Haven on June 2. Police said previously they believed the gas had been turned on deliberately.


Senior News Editor since 2011

BREAKING: Family member says DHS was called several times before 2-year-old was killed
Posted: Jun 14, 2015 1:19 PM PST
Updated: Jun 14, 2015 1:54 PM PST



In an exclusive interview with WMC Action News 5, an anonymous family member has revealed information about the past of Raven Campbell, the mother who was charged with neglect and abuse after her 2-year-old son Jermyle died yesterday.

The family member said DHS has given them the baby at least three times and Raven had left Jermyle on her stoop more than once.

The family member said they went to court in December to attempt to gain custody of the child, but the judge granted Campbell custody.

The family member said Raven told them from the day Jermyle was born, she did not want him and wanted to kill him and be free.

They said the only reason she kept the baby is because the grandmother wanted her to and she wanted the benefits. :rolleyes:

They also said the mother and grandmother used to beat the child with extension cords so he would go to bed.

Several family members are said to have called DHS multiple times, and the daycare also called because he would come home with dirty clothes, could tell he had not eaten and he had bed bugs.

The family member also said Raven is a prostitute and would leave the baby with her 10-year-old brother.

The case is still under investigation.


Mother charged with neglect, abuse after 2-year-old child placed under mattress dies
Posted: Jun 13, 2015 12:06 PM PST



Senior News Editor since 2011

Mom, Boyfriend Arrested On Child Abuse Charges After Toddler Death
July 9, 2015 9:22 AM


DENVER (CBS4) – The mother of a Denver toddler who died on Wednesday is now under arrest along with her boyfriend.

Candice Lampley, 29, and DeLonta Crank, 36, are being held
on charges of child abuse resulting in serious bodily injury, according to Denver police.


23-month-old Javion Johnson was declared dead Wednesday morning after being taken to St. Joseph Hospital. The boy lived at an apartment near the intersection of Franklin Street and 17th Avenue.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Montgomery boy, 5, killed in apparent beating; mother's boyfriend arrested
updated July 09, 2015 at 10:55 AM


A 5-year-old Montgomery boy was killed Wednesday in an apparent beating.

His mother's boyfriend, Latravis Wright, 23, was arrested
by Montgomery police in the 400 block of Taylor Road and charged with capital murder, police say. He is being held in the Montgomery County Detention Facility without bond.

Police and fire medics responded to the 500 block of Eastdale Road at around 4:15 p.m. to the report of an unresponsive juvenile.

The victim, Zaryen Adair, was left in the care of Wright, police say.

The boy was transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries. He was later transported to Children's Hospital of Birmingham where he died.


Senior News Editor since 2011

Man killed 2-year-old because she urinated on the floor
4:01 p.m. CDT July 16, 2015


HOUSTON – A Houston man has confessed to the 2014 murder of a 2-year-old girl.

Navaeh Cornwall died last July after she was scalded in a bathtub.

Charles Gipson confessed to killing her Wednesday and was charged with murder.

Gipson told investigators his girlfriend was babysitting the little girl the day she died. When the 2-year-old urinated on the floor, Gipson dunked her in scalding hot water twice to punish her.

The child died so Gipson and his girlfriend decided to make up a story because they were afraid CPS would take their own child away. They told investigators that Navaeh had crawled into the tub on her own.