Drunken Mex/Migrants Hit and Run

Drunken driver gets 16 years for freeway death
Santa Ana man was driving at close to 100 mph when he crashed into victim's car.​
By LARRY WELBORN
The Orange County Register

SANTA ANA – A Santa Ana man was sentenced today to 16 years in prison for killing another motorist when he rammed the man's car from behind at speeds approaching 100 mph while driving drunk.

Oscar Omar Guerca, 30, pleaded guilty to vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, hit and run with injury, a sentencing enhancement for fleeing the scene of the crash and misdemeanor driving on a suspended license.

Deputy District Attorney Jason Baez said Guerca was driving on th
e 55 Freeway near Chapman Avenue in a Chevrolet sport utility vehicle after midnight on Dec. 20, 2008, when he approached traffic slowed by Caltrans work crews.

Caltrans had posted signs on the freeway warning northbound drivers about the work ahead, and victim Marco Antonio Aguilar, 33, had slowed his sedan down to approximately 15 mph when Guerca raced up in his Chevrolet Tahoe.

Witnesses said that Guerca did not slow down or swerve before the impact, which sent both vehicles careening across several lanes until they came to a stop on the right shoulder.

Aguilar, who was married with two children, was killed instantly. He was on his way home to his wife from his second job cleaning office buildings.

A recording device on an air bag in Guerca's car revealed that he had been traveling at 97 mph when the airbag deployed, Baez said.

After crashing into Aguilar, Guerca got out of his car and attempted to run away on foot, but he was
detained by an Orange County Sheriff's deputy.

A test revealed that Guerca had a blood/alcohol level of .13 two hours after the crash, exceeding the .08 legal limit in California.

Superior Court Commissioner Cheryl L. Leininger handed down the sentence to Guerca after listening to an emotional victim-impact statement from Marina Ortiz, Aguilar's widow, who said her family is devastated by her husband's death.

Burlington, North Carolina

Another Mexican Pig murders another white man...police do nothing. Fake documents, fake name, murders a man, and ICE "may" be interested.

LidiaMonicaLopez.jpg

Lidia Monica Lopez AKA Irma Bejar Perez

Lidia Monica Lopez, 41, who is from Mexico, is allegedly using an alias and is in this country illegally, received a citation July 11 from the Alamance County Sheriff's Department.

But she was not arrested and processed through the 287(g) illegal immigration enforcement program, said Randy Jones, a sheriff's department spokesman.

''The officer remembered that she had some form of identification that appeared valid," Jones said. "In turn, he issued a citation -- just like we always said we would -- and she was released." Lopez pleaded guilty to the charge July 31. She paid the $50
fine and the $121 court costs, according to court records.

She had a first court appearance Monday. According to a handwritten note stuck to her file, Lopez's "boyfriend went back to Mexico two weeks ago. She told officers she had plans to follow him in a couple of weeks." The name "Lidia Monica Lopez" is an alias used by Irma Bejar Perez, said Ivan Ortiz-Delgado, spokesman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

''ICE has filed a detainer on Ms. Irma Bejar Perez," Ortiz said in a written statement. "The detainer is a tool that ICE uses to notify law enforcement that ICE may have an interest in the individual. The law enforcement agency is required to notify ICE if the individual is eligible for release. ICE subsequently determines what actions are appropriate depending on the circumstances surrounding the individual case."

http:
//www.news-record.com/content/2009/04/08/article/woman_in_fatal_wreck_previously_cited_for_having_no_license

http://cbs3.com/topstories/kensington.crash.tioga.2.988802.html

Driver Charged After Violent Kensington Crash

PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ― A driver has been charged after a violent crash in the Kensington section of Philadelphia that left at least eight people injured over the weekend.

ramos.JPG

Police said 30-year-old David Ramos has been charged with simple assault and reckless endangerment after an accident at B and Tioga Streets at about 2:30 p.m.

Ramos was allegedly behind the wheel of a Mitsubishi Eclipse he lost control and crashed into seven cars.

Eight people, including a woman who is six months pregnant, were reportedly injured in the crash. The extent of their injuries is unknown.

"I just heard people screaming as soon as I heard all the pan
ic I saw the car was already flipped," said eyewitness, Alejandro Santiago.

Santiago and his friends said they pulled the disoriented driver from the overturned Mitsubishi Eclipse.

"I saw that he was bleeding, he was stuck I didn't have seat belt on he had open gash on his chest kept the pressure," sad Santiago.

Jennifer Harilelle saw it all unfold from her front window and captured several photos of the driver and emergency crews who quickly responded.

"I look out I saw the car just tumbling. He didn't realize what happened to himself until he saw his own blood," said Harilelle

Police believe Ramos was travelling at a high rate of speed at the time of the crash. Court records show Ramos faces trial in two separate cases, including a charge from a January DUI.

Drunken roach kills woman

Roach Admits Drinking 8 Beers Before Deadly Crash

SANTA ANA -- A spic who admitted he had eight beers before triggering a deadly crash on the 91 Freeway has been convicted of second-degree murder.

222023.jpg

Conrado Octavio Cruz-Rivera, 34, was found guilty Tuesday in the June 2007 crash that killed 49-year-old Corona resident Katherine Lynn Aceves. Her husband Ruben was also seriously injured in the collision.

Cruz-Rivera, who has two prior drunken-driving convictions, testified he drank eight beers at a family party and then drove away in his wife's car.

He also said he had just three h
ours of sleep the night before and began nodding off when he decided to exit the eastbound 91 freeway at Imperial Highway around 1:30 a.m.

That's when he clipped the rear end of a sport utility vehicle being driven by Aceves, sending it spinning out of control.

The SUV smashed into two electric utility boxes and landed in a culvert next to the freeway, killing Aceves.

Tests showed Cruz-Rivera had a blood-alcohol level of .17, more than twice the legal limit. The test was administered nearly two hours after the crash.

Cruz-Rivera testified that he did not think he was endangering others when he got behind the wheel after drinking.

He faces 15-years to life in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for June.

Story.jpg
Cops: Drunk Driver Kills Two, Hurts Another In Early Morning Wreck
Last Update: 5/24 7:06 pm

(PASCAGOULA, Ms.) May 25 - Two people are dead and another person is recovering in the hospital after police say a drunk driver caused a wreck in Pascagoula.

The crash happened at the intersection of Highway 90 and Chicot Road just before 4 a.m.

Orlando Martinez, 40, is behind bars charged with Felony DUI. Police say his car slammed into the other car.

Two men died
at the scene while a third was pulled from the wreckage and taken to the hospital.

He is listed in serious condition. The names of the victims have not been released.

There should be an award given out to AMERICANS who inform the officals, about illegal hiring! It should be a federal law! you...you go Directly to to jail.. in the Monopoly, game. Your giving a job to a spik... not american... You also need to be deported! AZZHOLE!

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=76402&catid=2

Columbia Police Look For Fatal Hit & Run Suspect
Posted By: Laura McElveen 7/22/2009 10:47:33 PM

Columbia, SC (WLTX)-- The Columbia Police department is looking for a man wanted for a hit and run resulting in a death.

090722044341_velasquez.jpg

Police say on July 5th, 2009 at 1:00 AM, 26-year-old Rafael Velazquez was traveling outbound on Highway 277 and Farrow Road when he lost control of his 2003 Saturn View. Police say the vehicle went up an embankment and then went airborne.

Investigators say Nestor Perez Arce was a rear passenger in the vehicle and was thrown from the car. Police say the vehicle and Arce were found in the tree line of the highway.

Arce was in critical condition when he was transported to Palmetto Health Richland by Richland County EMS. Arce, died that morning from injuries resulting from the accident.

Police say Velazquez fled the scene after the accident and is believed to be hiding somewhere in the Midlands.

Anyone with information should call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC, or e-mail a tip in to www.midlandscrimestoppers.com. You can also text information in by texting "TIPSC" plus your message to CRIMES (274637). Either way you choose, your identity will remain anonymous, and you could be eligible for a cash reward.

No Hit/Run. Not Drunk, But Look At Charges.

2009-00009151.jpg

Date: 07/17/2009

Name: Ruth Mercedes Hernandez

City/State: Haleah,Fl

Charge(s):

1, License, No Operators
2, Flee/Elude Arrest, Motor Vehicle
3, Speed, Exceed Posted
4, Reckless Driving, To Endanger
5, Insurance, Operate Veh, No Liability
6, Insurance, Operate Veh, No Liability

2009-00009230.jpg

Date: 07/19/2009

Name: Fransico Javier Hernandez

City/State: Monticello, KY

Charge(s):

1, Habeas Corpus
2, Larceny, Misdemeanor
3, DWI
4, License, No Operators

4 dead, 1 hurt in hit-run; big rig driver jailed

A Modesto man was booked on charges of vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run following a collision that killed four people and seriously injured another early this morning near Five Points.

The California Highway Patrol said a two-trailer big rig driven by Hector Escalante, 35, was eastbound on Oakland Avenue just after 5 a.m. when the big rig failed to stop at a posted sign on Lassen Avenue.

Escalante drove into the path of a 1990 Honda and car's four male occupants were fatally injured, the CHP said. A woman in the Honda was airlifted to Community Regional Medical Center in Fresno.

Escalante was arrested later this morning in Modesto.

All of the Honda's occupants were from Chowchilla.
Their names have not been released. The condition of the survivor was not available.

Drunken Passenger Killed, Driver Bails Out​

A Caruthers man with a record of arrests for drunken driving was ordered Wednesday to stand trial in Fresno County Superior Court in a connection with a fatal traffic collision in May 2008.

Judge John Vogt ordered Juan Negrete Hernandez, 35, to stand trial on charges of second-degree murder and vehicular manslaughter in connection with the death of his friend, Claudio Aguilera, 43, of Caruthers.

Enough evidence was presented at Hernandez's preliminary hearing Wednesday to also charge him with drunken driving, leaving the scene of a fatal accident and driving without a lic
ense, Vogt said.

The judge noted Hernandez's two drunken-driving convictions and his three other pending drunken-driving charges. Vogt said the court had admonished Hernandez in the past that if he drove while intoxicated and killed someone, he would be charged with second-degree murder.

If convicted, Hernandez faces life in prison.

After the hearing, attorney Michael Aed, who is representing Hernandez, said there's still a question as to whether his client was driving and whether he killed Aguilera on May 26, 2008.

Hernandez's blood-alcohol level was 0.22%, or nearly three times the legal limit, senior criminalist Nancy McCombs of the Department of Justice testified. But Aed said Aguilera's blood-alcohol level was 0.49%, or more than five times the legal limit of 0.8%.

"That's the highest level I have ever heard of [in court]," Aed said, noting it could be a potentially fatal amount.

Two California Highway Patrol officers testified
that Aguilera was a passenger in a car driven by Hernandez. The car failed to stop for a stop sign at Mount Whitney and Chateau Fresno avenues near Riverdale and collided with a Ford truck.

Hernandez ran from the scene but was arrested several hours later at a relative's house, the officers testified. The driver of the pickup was not injured.

One of the CHP officers, Perry Miller, testified that a woman told him that she saw Hernandez sitting in a chair and with a blanket covering his injuries. According to Perry, the woman said she overheard Hernandez tell a group of people gathered around him that he was involved in an accident.

The woman also heard Hernandez say that he went to help his friend get out of the wrecked car, but Hernandez said Aguilera told him to run, Miller testified.

After the hearing, Aed said he is still investigating the case. He said he plans to contest the 0.22% reading because Hernandez's blood was drawn five hours after the accident. That length o
f time could give a faulty reading. He also said no one saw Hernandez driving, and that others could have been inside the car before it collided with the truck.

Borracho Puta Kills Beanette In DUI Crash

carmen_huertas--300x300.jpg
Carmen Huertas, here with daughter Brittany Gonzalez, who was in the car with six pals on the way to a slumber party.​
Kid dies in 'drunken' car crash 'Drunk' mom joked: 'Who thinks we're gonna get in accident?'​
By EDMUND DeMARCHE, FRANK ROSARIO, AMBER SUTHERLAND and LARRY CELONA

Last Updated: 10:36 AM, October 12, 2009

Posted: 3:49 AM, October 12, 2009

Moments before killing a girl in a car crash, an allegedly boozed-up mom joked, "Who thinks something's gonna happen? Raise your hand. Who thinks we're gonna get into an accident?" one of her seven young passengers told The Post last night.

All of the girls raised their hands -- and were proven tragically right.

The drunken mom, Carmen Huertas, 31, lost control of her car with the seven girls inside as she sped up the West Side of Manhattan on the way to her Bronx home for a slumber party early yesterday, authorities said.

Leandra Rosado, 11, was killed in the crash.

Another passenger, Yismel Rosario, 14, recalled Huertas posing question to the group just before they hit the road after a relative's party in Chelsea before 12:40 a.m.

Yismel said the trip in Huertas' crammed car from West 20th Street started normally -- but soon turned terrifying.

"The car started swerving back and forth," Yismel said at New York Hospital.

"I was like, 'Oh, my God!' Then it flipped over. Gisele, Kayla and Leandra flew out of the car. Their eyes were closed. I got out of the car and went to my sister, [Gisele]. I held her and said, 'If you can hear me, nod your head.' I told her it would be OK, that help is on the way."

Gisele, who spent nine hours in surgery, survived with two broken legs and a back injury.

Leandra died less than an hour after the crash.

"I call this murder," said her enraged dad, Lenny Rosado.

He noted that he had named his daughter after his sister -- who died 13 years ago when she drove drunk and crashed.

Rosado said his daughter, a student at Greenwich Village Middle School, had called from the road Friday night on her way to Huertas' home, asking if she could spend the weekend there.

Huertas -- whose daughter, Brittany Gonzalez, was a friend of Leandra and was also in the car -- was driving the girls at the time.

The dad said yes, as long as Leandra stopped back home in Chelsea Saturday to get a change of clothes.

The girls then spent Friday night at Huertas' home, painting one another's nails, listening to music and singing karaoke.

As agreed, Huertas brought Leandra back to her West 17th Street home Saturday at around 7:30 p.m. for a quick change.

Rosado then took his daughter in a cab over to the party at the home of Huertas' ex-husband, Brittany's dad, on 20th Street to meet back up with the group.

Rosado said that he met Huertas briefly and that she didn't appear drunk.

He gave his daughter a quick hug and money for pizza.

"I'll see you tomorrow," the dad said before leaving.

It was the last time he saw his daughter alive.

At 2 a.m. yesterday, he got a call from Brittany's father, summoning him to St. Luke's Hospital.

Leandra had been in Huertas' tan 1998 Mercury Sable when the drunken mom got behind the wheel and slammed the overloaded car into a guardrail near the 96th Street exit of the Henry Hudson Parkway, flipping it off the highway, cops said.

Sources said Huertas was doing 68 mph in a 50 mph zone and failed a Breathalyzer test with a blood-alcohol level of .13 percent, more than 1½ times the legal limit.

The mom, who suffered a broken arm, faces charges that include manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter, assault and DWI. A police source said the car had four seat belts, "but, obviously, they weren't being used."

The six surviving girls were being treated for injuries, including broken bones and blunt trauma.

Sources identified the other girl ejected from the car as Kayla Fernandez, 11.

Yismel, who was riding in the front passenger seat with her seat belt on, suffered a bruise to the head.

She said that before the accident, Huertas was acting silly and giggly, "a little bit drunk and stuff."

Rosado, who had raised Leandra as a single parent since she was 4, was struggling to come to grips with the reality that there would be no more Friday movie nights or kickball in the park with his only child.

When asked what he'd like to tell Huertas, he replied, "My daughter is gone because of you. As a parent, as a mother, where was your common sense?

"You put all those kids in danger. You put other people in danger. You're taking other people's lives into your own hands. You don't have the right."

He said Leandra wanted to be a singer or a veterinarian when she grew up.

When he heard she died, "I was screaming. I was asking, 'Why?' I felt so lost. I felt so much pain. Why my daughter? She was my entire world."

Leandra's mother, who is divorced from the father and has three other children, shared her ex-husband's rage.

"My daughter died too soon, and she wouldn't have died if that woman hadn't been drinking and driving," said the mom, Joida Quinones.

Brittany's godfather, Jason Ruiz, said he had been at the 20th Street party and "I saw her drinking, yes, but when I left [at 9 p.m.], she was fine."

He said Brittany was doing well, but relatives were keeping the news of Leandra's death from her.

Records show that other than a 2006 license suspension for letting her insurance lapse, Huertas has a clean driving record.

The father of another girl involved in the crash, Amanda Vasquez, 14, said he knew Huertas socially and agreed that she didn't have a drinking problem.

"Carmen drinks when there's a party," he said.

In The Bronx, at Huertas' home, relatives expressed sympathy for Leandra's family.

"We want to show our deepest condolences to the little girl's family," said Huertas' sister, Yolanda Velez, 38.

"My sister is a good mother, and these parents wouldn't let her take the children home if she wasn't. She's not a monster. She's not an alcoholic." :eek:

Velez added that her sister was plagued by guilt.

"My sister's doing bad," she said. "She wants to kill herself, because of what happened."

In July, another woman, Diane Schuler, high on pot and booze, drove the wrong way on the Taconic Parkway in Westchester, crashed into another car and killed eight people, including herself, her young daughter and three young nieces.

Drunken spic cop demolishes 4 parked cars

Midvale officer accused of DUI crash resigns

A veteran Midvale police officer resigned Tuesday after he was cited for a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence following a four-car crash Halloween weekend.

http://www.newnation.co/

forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=933&stc=1&d=1257368602​

Detective Sgt. John Salazar was off duty and driving an unmarked police Dodge Charger near Wallace Lane (2935 E.) and 4600 South in Holladay about 1 a.m. Sunday when he sideswiped a parked vehicle, said Midvale City Attorney Craig Hall.

Salt Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Don Hutson said Salazar's car then struck a pickup truck, pushing it into a third car parked in a driveway. A woman who was a passenger in the car apparently lived nearby and walked home before police responded. No one was injured in the crash.

Midvale police and Salt Lake County sheriff's deputies arrived and smelled alcohol on Salazar, who was cooperative, Hutson said. Police gave several tests to Salazar, who was issued a citation but was not booked into jail.

Salazar was given a Breathalyzer test, Hall said, but Hall did not release the results of the test.

Hutson said it is not uncommon to cite and release a person for DUI and said he wasn't sure if an officer, deputy or someone else took Salazar home. Hutson also said he was unaware of where Salazar had come from or how long he had been driving before the crash.

Salazar was authorized to drive his city issued vehicle while off duty, Hall said.

Salazar is a 13-plus year veteran of the force and acted as the public information officer for Midvale police.

The passenger in Salazar's car was interviewed by police, but probably won't be charged because the driver is the responsible person in a property damage accident, Hutson said.

Salazar resigned from the police force Tuesday and his resignation was accepted, Hall said.

An insurance adjuster ruled the police car a total loss and said there was significant damage to the other vehicles.

Attachments

• spic_cop_dui.jpg
    spic_cop_dui.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 89
Beaner filth arrested on DWI, hit and run

11558952_BG1.jpg

BOSSIER CITY, LA (KSLA) – A man who nearly hit two pedestrians over the weekend now faces additional charges of DWI.

20-year old Jose Humberto Larios of Bossier City was arrested Saturday evening after police got several calls about a hit and run driver that crashed into a silver SUV, three other vehicles, and two residential mail boxes.

The incidents took place along Hamilton Road, General Rusk Drive, General Ewell Drive and Longstreet Place.

Police eventually found Larios on Chancellorsville Court in a damaged 2001 Hyundai Sante Fe. Witnesses told police that Larios also nearly hit two pedestrians. No one was injured.

Police say Larios had no drivers license, was not wearing a seatbelt and was driving with an open container of beer. Larios submitted to a chemical breath test which showed him to have a blood alcohol content level of .26%, more than three times the legal limit.

Larios was booked into the Bossier City Jail on charges of DWI, 5 counts of hit and run, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, resisting an officer, no drivers license, no seat belt and open container.

Police say Larios took the vehicle from a family member without permission.

Prosecutors: Driver in fatal DUI crash almost 4 times legal limit
November 28, 2009 8:57 PM |

AnthonyMorales.jpg

A 31-year-old Southwest Side man charged in a Thanksgiving crash that killed a pedestrian was driving with a blood-alcohol content nearly four times the legal threshold, prosecutors said Saturday.

A Cook County judge ordered Anthony Morales, 31, held on $300,000 bond bail at his bond hearing today.

Morales, of the 5500 block of South Homan Avenue, is charged with felony aggravated driving under the influence resulting in the crash that killed 21-year-old Elias Nunez. Prosecutors today said Morales' blood-alcohol content was 0.303, nearly four times the legal limit of .08.

The victim's family sat in the back of the courtroom and cried.

"We're just appalled," said Nunez's sister, Elaina Ruano. "We still can't believe this happened."

Morales was driving north in the 6900 block of South Cicero Avenue about 3:10 a.m. Thursday morning when, police said, he swerved into the southbound lanes and hit a car. Attempting to flee, the driver continued north, striking Nunez, who was standing outside of his vehicle about three blocks farther north.

Ruano said that Nunez was dragged under the vehicle before his leg was severed and pelvis crushed. She said doctors told her that he suffered from massive internal bleeding and severe brain injuries.

"He was fighting for a while," Ruano said, in between tears. "He looked really bad."

Nunez died about 9:30 a.m. Thursday at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Injuries in the collision with the other car did not appear life-threatening, police said.

Nunez was a construction worker who was always looking to help others, Ruano said. She said that she had seen him Wednesday night when he had brought over antifreeze for her car.

"He was always in good spirits," she said. "He was always trying to get ahead in life."

Morales was working as a store manager and pursuing his GED, his attorney told the judge. As the charges were read, Morales' family cried. One of his family members mouthed, "I love you," as Morales walked out of the courtroom.

In addition to the criminal charge, Morales is cited with failing to reduce speed to avoid an accident, following too closely and leaving the scene of property damage related to the crash, police said.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/...tal-dui-crash-almost-4-times-legal-limit.html

Journalist injured by drunken spic cop

CHP officer accused of DUI after collision
Sun-Star editor hit in crash, receives minor injuries

An officer with the California Highway Patrol's Merced Area Office was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence early Thursday, after a two-car collision on northbound Highway 99 near Livingston.

MER_p1218_P18_dui.embedded.prod_affiliate.111.JPG

Fresno resident Joseph Mendoza, 26, was taken into custody after the crash, reported around 1:15 a.m. south of Cressey Way, according to Shane Ferriera, CHP spokesman.

Investigators say Mendoza rear-ended another car in the fast lane of the highway.

He was off-duty at the time of the crash and was driving a 2010 Dodge Challenger. Mendoza wasn't hurt in the crash, and the driver of the other car received minor injuries.

Before the crash, 29-year-old James Burns of Manteca was traveling in the fast lane of northbound Highway 99, driving a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta at an unknown rate of speed. Meanwhile, Mendoza was traveling behind Burns in the same lane, at an unknown rate of speed, Ferriera said.

Mendoza crashed into the back of Burns' car, and both cars pulled over to the right shoulder.

CHP officers arrived at the scene, and Mendoza was given a field sobriety test. Ferriera said Mendoza also submitted to a breath test, and officers determined he was driving with a blood alcohol level above the state's 0.08 percent legal limit.

Burns, who had minor injuries, declined an ambulance. As a precaution, he was taken to Mercy Medical Center Merced by the CHP. Both vehicles had moderate damage.

Mendoza was booked at the Merced County Jail on suspicion of misdemeanor driving under the influence and driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.8 percent or greater. He was released from jail about 10 minutes after he was booked, on his own recognizance.

Burns, who is the Sun-Star's managing and sports editor, was ordered to stay home from work by doctors until at least Monday. Burns said he was driving home from work when the crash happened. "I'm counting my blessings because it could have been much, much worse," Burns said.

Mendoza remains employed with the CHP and hasn't been placed on administrative leave, Ferriera said.

Ferriera said the case remains under investigation, and the CHP has launched its own internal investigation into the incident.

Illegal immigrant driver in hit-and-run that killed toddler gets 17-month prison term

Juan-Lopez-Perez.jpg

Driver who fatally hit Salem toddler arrested

Story Published: Dec 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM PST
By Associated Press SALEM, Ore. (AP) - An illegal immigrant who drove away after hitting a toddler in a Salem parking lot has been sentenced to one year and five months in prison.

Taco expert Juan Lopez-Perez pleaded guilty Thursday morning to failing to perform the duties of a driver in a crash.

Defense attorney Steven Walls said his client left the scene Nov. 24 because a crowd was gathering, he feared for his safety and he was in the country illegally. :pity:

Before his conviction, the district attorney’s office said Lopez-Perez told witnesses he knew he’d struck and killed a child and that he tried to hide his truck and attempted to leave when police found him on Maple Avenue in Salem.

Neither drugs nor alcohol contributed to the collision that killed his neighbor - 2-year-old Erika Rubi Meza.

Walls said the 31-year-old Lopez-Perez has been married for 16 years, has three children and no prior criminal record.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.kval.com/news/local/79554062.html

Man Arrested In Fatal Miami Hit-And-Run

Arrest Made In Death Of Miami Tourist
POSTED: Thursday, December 24, 2009
UPDATED: 1:45 pm EST December 24, 2009

MIAMI -- Authorities have arrested a 32-year-old man in connection to a fatal hit-and-run collision in Miami.

Geraldo Pagan was struck on a Miami causeway bridge on Dec. 17. According to a news release, Pagan, an Orlando tourist visiting South Florida, lost control of a scooter he was driving and fell to the roadway. He picked himself up but was then hit by a vehicle.

Pagan was taken to a hospital, where he died. The vehicle fled the scene.

Authorities eventually tracked down and arrested Gaston Henriquez. According to an arrest affidavit, Henriquez is charged with leaving the scene of an accident with a death. Online jail records indicate that he is being held on $100,000 bond.

An arraignment hearing has been scheduled for January.

http://www.justnews.com/news/22054560/detail.html

Bergenfield man faces felony murder charges in deadly crash
By The Associated Press
January 22, 2010, 7:43AM

harold-saenzjpg-eb1658ce465bc4da_medium.jpg

Harold Saenz, 22, of Bergenfield, looks toward the judge Harry G. Carroll during his first court appearance at Bergen County Superior Court in Hackensack in October.

NEW MILFORD -- A man accused of driving a stolen car that crashed into another vehicle, killing a 10-year-old girl, will face felony murder charges.

The charge against 23-year-old Harold Saenz of Bergenfield was included in an eight-count indictment handed up Thursday by a Bergen County grand jury. He also face charges of aggravated assault, aggravated manslaughter and eluding.

Prosecutors said Saenz stole a Mercedes-Benz in October 2008 and slammed into a Honda Accord in New Milford, splitting the Honda in half.

Miriam Avraham of Fair Lawn, who was in the Honda's back seat, was killed in the crash, while 14-year-old Eric Brauner, a family friend, suffered serious injuries. Avraham's mother, who was driving the Honda, sustained minor injuries.

Saenz's attorney, Arthur Carmano, has said his client, a diagnosed schizophrenic, thought that a demonic figure was chasing him.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/bergenfield_man_faces_felony_m.html

Back