The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Daily Blotter
By Natasha Velez, Dana Sauchelli, Jamie Schram and Kirstan Conley
November 30, 2013 | 12:05am


A man was fatally shot in an apartment, and then the killers dragged his body across two building rooftops and dropped it down an air shaft, police sources said.

Derrick Sutton, 50, was shot dead Tuesday, and his body was found at 9  the following morning in the building shaft on Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard near the Harlem River Drive, cops said.

The fully clothed body was found with seven gunshot wounds to the face, arms and torso but witnesses didn’t report the gunshots to police, the sources said.

No arrests have been made.

A 29-year-old man was shot on a street in Harlem early Friday, cops said.

The victim was on *Lenox Avenue near West 133rd Street at about 4 a.m. when an unidentified gunman came up and fired a bullet into his right thigh, according to police detectives.

He was able to limp to Harlem Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, authorities said.

No arrests have been made, cops said.

The Bronx


An attacker punched a teen in the face and then a second thug snatched the victim’s iPhone in Wakefield, police said.

One of the suspects clocked the 15-year-old on Nereid Avenue near Murdock Avenue at around 3:30 p.m. Monday, while the other grabbed the phone, cops said.
The duo fled and the victim refused medical attention. The suspects are between 16 and 18 years old, cops said.

The thug who punched the victim is about 5-foot-9 and thin while his cohort is 5-foot-6, police said.


A would-be robber cornered an elderly man in a Soundview elevator but fled empty-handed, cops said.

The suspect followed the 68-year-old victim into an elevator in a building at White Plains Road and East Tremont Avenue at around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday and pulled a handgun, according to police.

But the robber got cold feet and fled empty-handed, cops said.

The suspect is described as in his mid-20s to age 30 with a thin build.



Cops want to question three men who may have witnessed a man getting gunned down delivering cash to family members for their Thanksgiving dinner.

Clifford Hubbard, 66, had just parked his vehicle in front of a relative’s house on North Oxford Street near the Brooklyn Queens Expressway in Fort Greene at 3 a.m. on Feb. 22 when someone shot him in the stomach and right arm, cops said.

Hubbard, a Queens resident, died from his wounds at Kings County Hospital, cops said.


Two nicotine fiends stuck up a Boerum Hill deli and escaped with cash and cigarettes.

The armed punks walked into the Natural Plus Deli at Fourth Avenue and St. Marks Place on Oct. 25 at around 1:30 a.m.

Showing a gun, they demanded money and Newports.

The clerk handed over $1,113 in cash and their preferred brand of smokes, cops said.

The suspects are believed to be in their 20s, standing between 5-foot-9 and 6-foot-1.

One wore a gray hooded sweatshirt and the other was wearing dark glasses and a black leather jacket.

Staten Island


A teen thug and two accomplices threatened to slash their victim in an *attempted robbery in Mariners Harbor.

Kenroy Gittens, 16, and his two buddies went up to the victim at Roxbury Street and Lockman Avenue at around 4:40 p.m. on Nov. 3 and demanded property, cops said.

Gittens allegedly pulled a knife, turned to his pal and said, “Should I cut him?”

The teen was arrested on Nov. 25 and charged with attempted robbery and criminal possession of a weapon.

The two cohorts are still at large.

Daily Blotter
By Daniel Prendergast, Dana Sauchelli and Jamie Schram
December 6, 2013 | 7:26am

The Bronx

A sibling rivalry turned deadly when a man stabbed his brother in the head inside of their Morrisania apartment, authorities said.

Dayshawn Lawson, 21, stabbed brother Andre Lawson, 22, at their apartment in the Morris Houses on Third Avenue at around 4 a.m. Wednesday.

Andre was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital with a massive head wound and later died.

Dayshawn was arrested and charged with murder, manslaughter and criminal possession of a weapon.

It was not clear what sparked the incident.

Cops said both men have numerous arrests for drugs, robbery and assault.


A Facebook “friend” turned into an enemy after two men agreed online to trade coats at a Van Nest subway station, authorities said.


The 17-year-old victim arranged to meet the suspect at the E. 180th Street subway at around 6 p.m. Nov. 30 to exchange his Pelle Pelle coat after the two met on Facebook, police said.

But when the victim entered the station, his “friend” walked up with two other men, one of whom pulled out a knife.

The suspect then ordered him to take off his coat before the three thieves fled the scene, cops said.


A night manager swiped nearly $100,000 in health and beauty supplies from an Upper East Side Duane Reade, authorities said Thursday.

Between Aug. 22 and Nov. 12, Charanjit Singh, 21, would take products that were delivered to the Third Avenue pharmacy and
sell them to make some extra cash, court papers charge.

A district manager became aware of the scheme and reported it to police.

Singh was arrested Tuesday on grand-larceny charges.


Two phone snatchers robbed a man riding the subway in Midtown, police said.


The 23-year-old victim was riding the northbound B train near 59th Street at around 8 p.m. Sept. 4 when the thieves walked up and asked where he was from.

When the victim didn’t answer, one of the suspects punched him in the arm, causing him to drop his phone, cops said.

The other thief then scooped up the device before running off the train, police said. The suspects are described as Hispanic men in their 20s.

One was wearing a red shirt and his partner was wearing a dark shirt and has a tattoo on his right arm.


An off-duty sanitation worker was arrested for the fourth time this year after stealing a person’s credit card in Midtown, authorities said.

Anthony Benjamin, 33, was arrested at around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday after he intentionally bumped into the victim in order to steal the person’s credit card, cops said.

He has been charged with grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property and jostling.

His other 2013 arrests were for driving without a license in August, committing a burglary in September and possession of marijuana in November, sources said.



A thief (right) burglarized a trendy Astoria clothing store by climbing through a hole in the roof, authorities said.

The suspect shimmied into Venzini Clothing Store on Steinway Street at around 4 a.m. Nov. 24 and made off with approximately $5,000, cops said.


Police are looking for a creep who groped a woman on the subway in Jackson Heights, authorities said.


The 33-year-old woman was riding the Manhattan- bound E train at around 1 p.m. Tuesday when the perverted straphanger grabbed her as the train was pulling into the Roosevelt Avenue station, cops said.

The man bolted when the train doors opened.

Daily blotter
By Natasha Velez and Kirstan Conley
December 7, 2013 | 5:52am



The gook sicko pictured raped and then burned his victim in Flushing, police said.

According to cops, Wu Lin, 35, was in a parked car with the 31-year-old victim at about 10 p.m. Wednesday on Booth Memorial Avenue when he attacked and raped her, then set her hair and clothes on fire.

Police are pressing the search for the alleged *attacker.

The extent of the victim’s injuries was not immediately clear.

Lin is described as *5-foot-7 and 140 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes.



A grab-and-go robber snatched an iPhone from a 20-year-old woman on board an elevated train in Jackson Heights.

According to cops, the suspect pictured above was aboard a 7 train approaching the Junction Boulevard station at about 4 p.m. on Nov.  22 when he snatched the unsuspecting victim’s iPhone as the car doors opened.

He was seen on video surveillance exiting the station and fleeing into the crowd, cops said.


A 26-year-old man was stabbed to death in front of his home in Flatbush, cops said.

Dwight Brathwaite was at 26th Street near Foster Avenue at around 1 a.m. Friday when an unidentified suspect stabbed him in the back and fled, police said.

Witnesses told investigators they had heard the *victim arguing with an *unidentified man just *before the stabbing.

Cops and paramedics found Braithwaite unconscious and unresponsive with a lower-back stab wound, authorities said.

He was rushed to Kings County Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival, cops said. No *arrests have been made.

Brathwaite had arrests for menacing and criminal possession of marijuana, police sources said.


Cops are looking for the gunman who killed a man in Bedford-Stuyvesant on Monday.

The suspect was seen on video surveillance running up to Corey Goulbourne, 33, and firing several shots on Tompkins Avenue at around 4:10 p.m., police said.

The victim was rushed to Kings County Hospital with gunshot wounds to the legs and torso. He was pronounced dead on *arrival. The gunman wore a gray hoodie.

The Bronx

These two crooks pictured snatched cash from a commercial van in Edenwald, cops said.


According to police, the two suspects broke into the van parked near a Western Union outlet and a Family Value Discount Store on Boston Road at around 1:20 p.m., Tuesday, cops said.

They were seen on video surveillance before they fled with an unknown sum cash, cops said.


A gunman and his accomplice robbed a man on an elevated-train platform in Melrose, cops said.

The 49-year-old victim was standing on East 149th Street at around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday when the suspects approached and demanded the man’s valuables, police said.

The victim turned over his Nook tablet and $90 in cash, cops said.

The suspects are believed to be in their early 20s and 5-foot-10.

The gunman is around 150 pounds and was wearing blue jeans and a black, waist-length bubble jacket, police said.

His accomplice wore his hair twisted in short locks and was wearing a red hoodie under blue jeans and a jeans jacket.

Staten Island

A man who opened fire in one of a string of shootings in Port Richmond has been arrested, authorities said.

Russell Baker, 30, opened fire on a 25-year-old acquaintance at Henderson Avenue and Broadway at 8:40 p.m. on Nov. 24, hitting the victim once in the right hip, a Criminal Court complaint states.

The victim was treated at Richmond University Medical Center.

Baker was arrested Monday and charged with assault and criminal possession of a firearm, according to a spokesman for *District Attorney Daniel Donovan.

The suspect is being held in lieu of $50,000 bail.

Daily Blotter
By Kirstan Conley and Natasha Velez
December 13, 2013 | 6:45am

A straphanger allegedly spit in the face of a toddler and his mother, police sources said.

The 26-year-old mom was with the 2-year-old boy on the northbound No. 4 train in the vicinity of the Utica Avenue station in Crown Heights around 1:40 p.m. Wednesday when Keenan King, 31, made derogatory remarks about the tot being biracial, according to sources.

King barked “Shut that n—-r baby up,” before allegedly spitting on the baby and his mom, the sources said.

Then he allegedly said, “Look at the n—–r child with the white ho.” :p

The brave mom pulled out her cellphone and snapped a photo of King, who became enraged and raised his fist to her, so she deleted the picture, sources added.

The mom fled at the next stop, Franklin Avenue, and flagged down cops, who pursued King and nabbed him nearby, sources said.

King has been charged with aggravated harassment, menacing and endangering the welfare of a child.


A suspect in the stabbing death of a Williamsburg man was caught on surveillance video near the scene and cops are asking for the public’s help in identifying him.


The cowboy-hat-wearing man (left) was seen pulling his cellphone out of his jacket pocket near 295 Broadway on Saturday at about 5:10 a.m. when a 44-year-old man was stabbed to death, police said.

Cops aren’t releasing the victim’s name because his family hasn’t been notified yet.

The suspect is about 5-foot-7, 230 pounds and was wearing a light-colored jacket.


Cops are looking for a man who punched a teenager during a failed robbery attempt in Bay Ridge.


The suspect (left) slugged the victim and demanded his cellphone on Ovington Avenue, near Sixth Avenue on Nov. 4 at about 2:30 p.m., police said.

The victim was not seriously hurt and the thug fled empty-handed, according to cops.

The suspect is about 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds. He was wearing a black jacket, blue jeans and a red hooded sweat shirt at the time of the attack.

The Bronx

A gunman robbed a Carvel ice cream shop in the South Bronx, police said.


The suspect (right) walked into the store on Morris Avenue, near East 150th Street, at 12:30 p.m., Saturday, cops said.

The robber demanded cash from the clerk and fled with a handful of money, police said.

Two gun-toting thugs barged into a Schuylerville apartment during a late- night home invasion, sources said.

The thieves pushed their way inside the Balcom Avenue home when someone answered a knock at the door Thursday at about 2 a.m. The thugs ordered the three residents to get down on the ground, sources said.

One of the thieves held the victims at gunpoint while his partner dug through their pockets and removed cash and property, cops said.

The thieves then ransacked the apartment looking for cash and jewelry, and pistol whipped the victims when they didn’t find anything, sources said.

They grabbed an Xbox game system and several games before fleeing.


An East Harlem man’s car was keyed with racist remarks, and cops are investigating it as a hate crime, police sources said.

The 28-year-old victim walked up to his car on East 118th Street near South Avalon Boulevard on Wednesday at about 3 a.m. and saw the phrase “White power,” scratched onto the roof, sources said. :rolleyes:

The words “a–hole” “bitch” and “no ni–as,” were also etched onto the vehicle and the front bumper was missing.

Cops are searching for a man who attempted to rob a Midtown bank, police sources said.

The perp handed a note to a teller at the Bank of America on Third Avenue near East 59th Street on Wednesday at about 9:15 a.m. that read: “I have a gun u have 5 second to hand over 100’s 50’s or people dead don’t f—k with me.”

The teller looked up at the suspect and he barked, “I’m not playing,” the sources added.

The teller ran into a vault and the suspect left empty handed, the sources said.

The suspect is believed to be 35 to 45 years old, 5-foot-9 and 195 pounds. He was wearing a skullcap and a multicolored overcoat.

Daily Blotter
By Kirstan Conley and Natasha Velez
December 14, 2013 | 4:24am


A thief with expensive tastes stole more than $25,000 worth of Chanel and Louis Vuitton goods from stores in Soho and Midtown, authorities said.

Illyanna Juliet, 19, pulled a dress off a rack in the Chanel store at Spring and Wooster streets in Soho, then slipped a $16,000 Chanel purse beneath it at about 1:35 p.m. on June 28, a Criminal Court complaint states.

Using the dress as a shield, she let the pocketbook drop into another bag and waltzed out of the store with two unidentified accomplices, records show.

On Oct. 14, she struck at the Luis Vuitton Soho store on Greene Street at about 5:30 p.m., when she and an accomplice hauled in nearly $6,000 worth of accessories, including handbags, wallets, a watch case and a scarf, the documents state.

Four days later, she allegedly snatched more than $3,000 worth of wallets from the Vuitton store at West 34th Street and Seventh Avenue.

Juliet’s most recent designer heist came on Oct. 26 when she stole three Vuitton wallets worth about $1,000 from the Soho store and was seen on video with an *unidentified accomplice, the complaint charges.

She has been charged with four counts of grand larceny and has two other open theft cases, in Manhattan and Brooklyn, court records show.


A would-be rapist was caught with his pants down in a Coney Island building, sources said.

At about 7 a.m. Thursday, Derrick Austin, 24, threatened the 23-year-old victim with a gun, dropped his pants and was about to rape the woman in a stairwell on West 24th Street when a security guard walked in, sources said.

The bumbling creep fled and dropped a loaded semi-automatic handgun as he tried to duck into a building around the corner, sources added.

Police arrested him on charges of attempted rape, robbery, assault, criminal sex act and criminal possession of a loaded firearm.

The suspect has a history of arrests stretching back five years, including one in which he was accused of raping and *assaulting an underage girl, sources said.


Cops are looking for the man pictured who stole a woman’s iPhone at knifepoint in Cobble Hill, police said.


The suspect allegedly approached the 33-year-old victim on Hicks Street near DeGraw Street at about 6:20 p.m. on Nov. 29, pulled a knife and snarled, “Give me your money and your phone.”

The woman turned over her iPhone 4 and the suspect fled south on Hicks Street, police said. The victim was not injured.

The suspect is believed to be 5-foot-9 and 170 pounds, with a beard.


A 27-year-old man was gunned down in Bedford-Stuyvesant, cops said.

Daquan Wilson was arguing with two men on Quincy Street near Gates Avenue at 12:15 a.m. Friday, police sources said.

The two foes walked away, then returned, chased the victim and blasted him once in the torso, sources added.

The victim was dead on arrival at Woodhull Hospital. No arrests have yet been made.


A Brooklyn subway conductor discovered the body of a man who had checked himself out of a hospital the day before, cops said.

The conductor spotted someone he thought was sick on board a southbound 4 train in Crown Heights at 7 a.m. Friday, according to police and MTA officials.

The NYC Transit worker then realized the victim wasn’t breathing and notified authorities, an MTA spokeswoman said.

The deceased, Earl Marlow, 53, had checked himself out of a hospital the day before and had medical issues, sources said.

The Bronx

The death of a 10-year-old in Morris Heights has been ruled a homicide, and investigators are working to bring any perpetrators to justice, police said.

Sijismond :confused: Morris suffered a severe asthma attack on Sept. 23 and was pronounced dead at Bronx Lebanon Hospital, sources said.

Paramedics responded to the boy’s home on Anthony Avenue near East 173rd Street and were able to revive him — but he lost a pulse and was pronounced dead half an hour later, the sources said.

No arrests have been made but investigators are taking a look at the family’s history with the city’s Administration for Children’s Services, including reports that kids in the home lacked medical care and proper nourishment, and suffered burns and fractures, sources said.

The mom, Tiesheina Young, 30, still has custody of 2-week-old and 8-year-old kids, sources said.

NYPD Daily Blotter
By Daniel Prendergast
December 19, 2013 | 2:27am


A deranged firebug walked into a Corona check-cashing establishment squirting lighter fluid everywhere and threatening to set the place ablaze unless employees forked over cash, cops said.

The belligerent thief walked into ATN Financial Services on Corona Avenue at about 2:30 p.m. Sunday and started squirting away, even on some employees, cops said.

He then pulled out a cigarette lighter and threatened to set a blaze unless the workers handed over money, which they did.

The unidentified man fled the location with an undetermined amount of money.



A bumbling thief struggled with a stubborn cash register while burglarizing a Woodhaven dollar store, authorities said.

He sneaked in through the roof of Grand 99 Cents store at about 6 a.m. Saturday, then used a pry bar in a bid to break open the register, cops said.

The thief was seen on surveillance video struggling with the pesky register for nearly a half-hour.

He finally got it open and fled with about $1,100, cops said.



Three men robbed a Clinton Hill grocery store at gunpoint, authorities said.

The thieves entered Pratt Deli and Grocery on Willoughby Avenue at around 2 p.m. last Friday, and one pointed a gun at an employee and ordered her to hand over cash, cops said.

The suspects (two pictured left) grabbed about $600 from the register and fled, cops said. No injuries were reported.



The man pictured above is wanted for stabbing a foe in the leg in Fort Greene, authorities said.

The stabber and the victim got into an argument in a grocery store near Fulton Street and St. James Place at around 3 a.m. on Dec. 4, cops said.

It’s unclear what sparked the fight, which spilled outside before the suspect pulled a knife and stabbed the victim in the leg, police said.

The attacker then fled the scene. The victim was treated at a nearby hospital and released.


A bespectacled bank bandit failed in his bid to rob a Midtown branch, authorities said.


He entered the Bank of America branch at East 42nd Street and Third Avenue at 11:30 a.m. Monday and handed the teller a note demanding cash, cops said.

After looking over the missive, the teller retreated, and the robber (pictured left) fled empty-handed, leaving the note, police said.

The suspect was seen on surveillance video talking to the teller.

He was wearing a black jacket with his hood pulled up and glasses.


A man tried to bribe a cop for his freedom after being arrested at a gym in the West Village, authorities said.

Martin Kuzer, 28, was cuffed after he was found in the steam room of an Equinox gym on Greenwich Avenue at around 5:30 p.m. Saturday without permission, cops said.

Kurzer then offered to pay the officer $300 to set him free, then upped the offer to $400, sources said.

He was also found in possession of several stolen credit cards.

Kurzer was slapped with charges of bribery of a public servant, possession of stolen credit cards and criminal trespass, cops said.


A man brandishing a knife threatened to cut two people at a West Village subway station, authorities said.

Dennis Robles, 28, pulled the weapon at the West Fourth Street station at around 3:30 a.m. Sunday, shouting, “Damn right, I’m going to cut you” at two men, cops said.

An MTA worker spotted the knife-wielding suspect and called police, who quickly came by and cuffed Robles.

He was charged with menacing, possession of a weapon and harassment, cops said.

Three dead in pre-Christmas carnage across NYC
By Daniel Prendergast
December 21, 2013 | 12:42pm


Kingsborough Houses in Brooklyn where a man was shot and later died in the hospital
Photo: Theodore Parisienne

Three people died and at least three others suffered gunshot wounds as a wave of pre-Christmas carnage swept the city on Friday night and Saturday morning, authorities said.

The violence kicked off in the Bronx around 7:30 p.m. when 19-year-old Edward Melina was killed by a gunshot wound to his torso.

Melina was shot in a dispute that unfolded on East Tremont Avenue near Crotona Avenue. He was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital but could not be saved.

The bloodshed continued in Brownsville, Brooklyn when police found a 36-year-old man shot to death at the Kingsborough houses at around 2 a.m., cops said.

The unidentified victim was pronounced dead at Interfaith Hospital.

And at around 6 a.m., a 25-year-old man was stabbed dead in Corona, Queens during a fight at Taco Veloz at around 6 a.m. on Roosevelt Avenue, cops said.

The first non-lethal violence of the night went down around 2 a.m., when a man was shot in the back in East Flatbush following a dispute on East 96th Street and Lenox Avenue, cops said.

That person was in serious condition at Brookdale Hospital, said police.

A half-hour later, cops in Brownsville responded to another shooting when a bullet passed through the neck of a man on Saratoga Avenue. That victim was listed in critical but stable condition at Kings County Hospital, said cops.

In Staten Island around 2:40 a.m. a man was shot in the leg after he got into an argument on North Burgher Avenue in Port Richmond.

No arrests have been made in any of the incidents and police said they are continuing to investigate

Daily Blotter
By Antonio Anntenucci and Dana Sauchelli
December 21, 2013 | 5:46am


Cops nabbed a Jamaica man *under suspicion in the beating death of a woman in a bizarre love triangle gone bad, police said.

Malik Wilkerson, 33, was picked up in Pittsburgh Thursday and extradited back to Queens, where he was charged with abduction resulting in death and assault, cops said.

Wilkerson’s wife, Devonnee, 32, was arrested on the same charges on Dec. 4, cops said.

The two were allegedly involved in a three-way relationship with the victim, Sheryl Outerbridge, 38, when things took a deadly turn on Dec. 3.

According to court rec*ords, the Wilkersons beat the victim to death with a metal pipe in their home on 116th Road.

They then dumped her at Jamaica Hospital and told authorities that they had found her on the street, sources said.


Three thieves with a taste for designer duds tried to steal a luxury mink from an Upper East Side boutique, cops said.

Two men and a woman walked into Collette Boutique on Madison Avenue near East 92nd Street at about 5 p.m. on Nov. 25 and started pawing at the mink wrap.

The sneaks handed the fur off from one to the other in succession while gabbing on their cellphones, police said.

The woman then removed the alarm sensor and distracted a salesperson while one of her accomplices left the designer consignment shop with the fur, cops said.

One of the male suspects was wearing a blue vest and a maroon scarf, while the other wore a plaid cap and khaki colored pants.



Police are looking for two burglars (above) wanted for breaking into a Greenpoint apartment and making off with *jewelry and electronics, authorities said.

The thieves were seen on surveillance video walking through the front door of the building on Russell Street at about 4:15 p.m. Monday, after which they got into the apartment through a rear bedroom door, authorities said.

They stole assorted jewelry, a camera and a laptop computer, police said.


A man was arrested after he fired two shots at a woman holding a child in a Bedford-Stuyvesant building, authorities said.

Demetrius Johnson, 18, who lives in the same building as the victim, fired two shots at her door at 4:15 p.m. Monday while she stood in the Fulton Street apartment holding her 5-year-old child, according to a criminal complaint.

One of the shots went through the door but did not hit either the woman or the child. It was not clear why Johnson was allegedly shooting.

He was slapped with charges of attempted assault, criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment.

Johnson is being held in jail in lieu of $75,000 bond, according to a court database.


The teen wounded by police after he pointed a gun at them on a Brownsville street was hit with charges Friday, authorities said.

The 15-year-old boy, whose name was withheld because he is a juvenile, was charged with menacing a police officer, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a disguised weapon, law-enforcement authorities said.

The young suspect allegedly pointed a handgun at pursuing police officers Thursday in the courtyard of the Brownsville Houses, and was shot twice by a cop.

The boy was taken to Brookdale Hospital, where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Staten Island

A handcuffed teen being led into a Staten Island courthouse in St. George went berserk and damaged a judge’s car with the cuffs, authorities said.

Barry Lovelace, 16, was exiting a Department of Juvenile Justice van on Richmond Terrace at 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 26 when he suddenly sprinted over to the judge’s car and started banging on the hood with the cuffs, sources said.

He then darted to the back of the jurist’s Hyundai Sonata and continued to scratch the car, sources added.

Lovelace was re-arrest*ed and charged with criminal mischief, according to a criminal complaint.

Daily blotter
By Natasha Velez, Daniel Prendergast and Dana Sauchelli
December 25, 2013 | 2:22am


A man was killed and another wounded when a gunman opened fire in a Far Rockaway apartment, cops said.

The victims were inside a home on Seagirt Avenue near Beach 31st Street at about 8 p.m. Monday when the shooter walked in and started blasting, according to police.

Daniel Fils, 18, was shot in the chest, while the second victim, a 23-year-old man, was shot in the arm, cops said.

Both men were rushed to Jamaica Hospital, where Fils was pronounced dead and the other victim was listed in stable condition, police said.

A witness spotted a man wearing a hoodie running from the building, cops said.


A man was stabbed several times following an *argument in Jamaica, cops said.


The 22-year-old victim was standing outside *Euphora Bar on Jamaica Avenue near 144th Street at about 5 a.m. Saturday when he and the assailant started arguing, cops said.

During the dispute, the *attacker pulled a knife and stabbed the victim several times, according to police.

The victim was in critical but stable condition at *Jamaica Hospital, cops said.

The thug (right) was seen on video surveillance wearing a button-down shirt and tight blue jeans.

He was seen jumping into a black, four-door sedan that sped off, cops said.



A 26-year-old woman’s cellphone was snatched from her hand at a Sunset Park subway station, cops said.

The victim was riding the southbound D train as it pulled into the Ninth Avenue station at around 2 a.m. on Dec. 8 when a man (right) dressed in red Hollister sweatpants and a blue, hooded sweatshirt ripped the phone from her and fled, police said.

No injuries were reported.

The Bronx

A man was injured by a boozed-up driver in Bedford Park, cops said.

The 25-year-old victim was walking on Grand Concourse at East 198th Street at around midnight Tuesday when a tipsy Freddy Rodriguez, 47, plowed into him with his truck, according to police.

The victim was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital in critical condition, but was later stabilized, cops said.

Rodriguez was charged with DWI, cops said.

He has prior arrests dating back to the 1980s, for possession of a weapon, menacing, assault and jumping a subway turnstile, cops said.


A man beat up an employee at a Morrisania cellphone store before robbing the joint, sources said.

The thug entered Prospect Wireless on Prospect Avenue at around 1:30 p.m. last Wednesday, walked directly to the counter and punched the clerk in the face as the victim was taking a phone call, the sources said.

The thug then demanded money from the register and fled with $700 cash, the sources said.

The thief is in his mid-20s and stands about *5-foot-10.

He was last seen wearing a brown, hooded sweatshirt, the sources said.


The attacker who stabbed a man in Norwood last year was charged with murder this month after the victim died of his injuries, authorities said.

Rusty Dejesus, 37, stabbed Maraj Binnath, 51, in the neck amid the brawl on East Mosholu Parkway North at around midnight on July 22, 2012, cops said.

Dejesus was arrested in the attack, cops said.

Binnath lingered for around 17 months but died of his injuries on Dec. 16, at which point Dejesus was hit with murder charges, cops said.


A Claremont man was shot in the foot by an acquaintance who owed him money, cops said.

The 40-year-old victim was in a stairwell of his apartment building on Jefferson Place near Franklin Avenue at 9 a.m. on Nov. 20 when he ran into the acquaintance who was in debt to him, police said.

When the victim demanded the dough, the debtor pulled a handgun and shot him in the left foot, cops said.

The bullet left a clean hole through the victim’s foot, police said.

The gunman escaped.

The victim was treated at Lincoln Hospital, cops said.

On Dec. 18, police arrested the perpetrator, whose name was not immediately available, cops said.


Cops busted a man who opened fire at a baby shower in Harlem, sources said.

Pierce Gross, 21, walked around to the back of a building on Fifth Avenue just before midnight on Dec. 7 and started shooting, the sources said.

One of the attendees returned fire, striking a fleeing Gross in the back of the right thigh, the sources said.

Gross was arrested last Wednesday on charges of attempted murder, attempted assault, reckless endangerment and possession of a weapon, the sources said.

NYPD Daily Crime blotter
By Natasha Velez and Matt McNulty
December 26, 2013 | 6:01am



A young mom was assaulted as she walked with her 7-year-old daughter in Midwood, cops said.

The suspect (right) approached the 33-year-old woman on East 12th Street near Elm Avenue at 2:45 p.m. Saturday and punched her in the back of the head, according to police.

She fell on her hands and knees and suffered minor injuries, cops said.

The child was not harmed.

Police released this sketch of the man, who was last seen wearing a green jacket, black wool cap and jeans.


A man was struck and badly hurt in a hit-and-run moments after getting off a city bus, authorities said.

The victim had just stepped off the bus at Third Avenue and Bay Ridge Avenue at 9 a.m. Wednesday when he was hit by another vehicle, which zoomed away, cops said.

The man was taken in critical condition to Lutheran Hospital, where his condition was later upgraded to stable.

An investigation is ongoing, police said.


A boozed-up MTA mechanic plowed into two parked cars in Borough Park and kept going before cops arrested him nearby, authorities said.

Emmanuel Raymond was driving on East Ninth Street at Cortelyou Road when he lost control of his vehicle, hit the cars and took off, police said.

Cops found the 49-year-old MTA employee a few blocks away, on East 14th St. near Avenue I, where he was arrested.

Raymond, who was off-duty at the time of the incident, was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, DWI and refusal to take a *Breathalyzer test, according to police.


A man was fatally shot in front of his Coney Island home, cops said.

Yaquin English was on Bayview Avenue in the Gravesend Houses at about 7 p.m. Tuesday when the gunman squeezed off multiple rounds, striking him in the torso.

English was pronounced dead at the scene.

No arrests had been made as of Wednesday evening.

The Bronx

A 16-year-old boy was shot in the chest in Melrose, but is expected to survive, cops said.

The victim was standing on East 156 Street near Concourse Village East at around 1:45 a.m. Wednesday when the assailant opened fire and fled, according to police.

The teen suffered a gunshot wound to the upper left chest and was rushed to Lincoln Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition with a wound that was not considered to be life-threatening.

No arrests had been made as of Wednesday evening.


Cops have arrested a 23-year-old man who they say fatally stabbed a co-worker in an Elmhurst Restaurant last weekend.

The victim, Furman Herrera-Martinez, was in Taco Veloz on Roosevelt Avenue near Junction Boulevard at around 5:50 a.m. Saturday Dec. 21, when Abel Galdino, 23, knifed him in the chest and arms after a verbal dispute over a woman, according to police.

Herrera-Martinez was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Galdino has been charged with murder and criminal possession of a weapon, cops said.

He has one prior arrest, for possession of a forged instrument, for allegedly using a fake identification card.


A man was shot yesterday afternoon in the Rockaways, police said.

The victim was on Beach 54th Street in the Arverne section when he was wounded.

He went on his home to St, John’s Hospital in Far Rockaway, where he was treated for non-life threatening injuries, police said.

The relationship, if any, between the victim and his shooter was unclear, police said.

Staten Island

A 24-year-old restaurant worker was nabbed in Bloomfield for driving drunk, according to cops.

Agustin Montez-Esponza had just left a party when he was caught swerving in a 2003 Nissan on the Goethals Bridge at around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday morning, Port Authority cops said.

Officers followed Montez-Esponza into New Jersey, where he was arrested.

He allegedly admitted to drinking several beers at a party before he started heading back to his home in Freehold, NJ.

He was charged with DWI.

Furthermore, he was driving without a license and the car was unregistered, police said.


A man was shot by a gunman in Dongan Hills, cops said.

The victim was standing outside the Berry Houses on Richmond Road near Dongan Hills Avenue at around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday when the assailant opened fire and fled.

The victim was rushed to Staten Island University North, where he was treated for a wound that was not considered to be life-threatening, authorities said.

No arrests had been made as of Wednesday evening.

Daily blotter
By Natasha Velez and Dana Sauchelli
December 28, 2013 | 3:30am


A Woodhaven resident got the scare of a lifetime when a would-be burglar stuck his head through her apartment window, police sources said.

The 38-year-old woman was in her apartment at about 11:30 a.m. Thursday when the window air conditioner suddenly started moving, the sources said.

The victim shrieked when it fell to the floor and a man popped his head in, the sources said.

He fled, and she dialed 911 and provided cops with a description of the suspect.

Kevin Young, 25, was *arrested nearby.

He had two outstanding warrants for his arrest, for prior attempted burglary and multiple juvenile arrests that had been sealed, cops said.


A man was shot multiple times in Canarsie, cops said.

The 29-year-old victim was walking to his vehicle on Avenue N near East 94th Street Friday at around 6:30 a.m. when he was shot three times, *according to police.

The victim was rushed to Brookdale Hospital in stable condition with non-life-threatening wounds, cops said.

Cops are searching for two suspects last seen running west on *Avenue N in black hoodies.


A Coney Island man was found shot dead in an apartment building, authorities said.

At 9:30 p.m. Thursday, Shawn White, 25, was found dead with gunshot wounds in a stairwell of an apartment building on West 27th Street near Surf Avenue, cops said.

He had sustained gunshot wounds to the head, torso and leg, according to police. No arrests have been made.


Authorities are investigating a Borough Park blaze that resulted in *injury.

More than 60 firefighters responded to a blazing, two-story home on 18th Avenue near Cristoforo Colombo Blvd. at around 1:30 a.m. Thursday, the *authorities said.

The victim was rushed to a hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening *injuries.

The FDNY Bureau of Fire Investigations is probing the blaze, authorities said. The department had no immediate updates on the cause of the fire.

The Bronx

A Puerto Rican restaurant was burglarized in Soundview, police sources said.

A worker at La Lechonera Boriquen was opening the eatery at Westchester and Stratford Avenues at 6 a.m. on Dec 18 when she saw a ladder in the back of the store, the sources said, then discovered a hole in the roof.

The thieves had pocketed $200 in cash from the register, the sources said.

Investigators pulled video surveillance from the restaurant and are studying it to ascertain clues, cops said.

No arrests have been made at this time.

Staten Island

A livery-cab driver turned the tables on two thieves who tried to pass themselves off as police officers, according to a Criminal Court complaint.

The two crooks summoned a car-service vehicle to Van Buren Street near York Avenue and hopped in on last Saturday at 1:50 a.m., with one jumping into the front passenger seat.

Donavan Prescod, 19, refused to move to the back seat despite the driver asking him several times to do so.

Instead, Prescod insisted that the cabby just drive and then, claiming to be a cop, demanded that the driver show him identification.

“I’m a police officer and I need you to show your ID to my partner,” Prescod *allegedly barked at the *victim.

Prescod also flashed a set of handcuffs, according to a Criminal Court complaint.

His buddy, Mark Melendez, 19, was sitting in the back seat. But the driver called his bluff and said he would gladly drive them to the 120th Precinct station house and show his ID to a *uniformed officer.

As the savvy cabby proceeded to the station house, the pair jumped out at York Avenue and Richmond Terrace.

Police soon found the suspects, with Melendez allegedly in possession of a Ziploc bag of crack.

They were charged with theft of services, criminal impersonation and criminal possession of a controlled substance.


A drunken driver was practically begging to be cuffed when he slammed into another car in Tottenville, cops said.

Harold Jones, 65, was driving a Mercury sedan — bearing vanity license plates reading “HANCUF” — when he sideswiped a Hyundai at Butler and Craig avenues Tuesday at 7:18 p.m., officers said.

Jones fled the scene without leaving identification or insurance information with the victim.

The hit-run suspect then rear ended a Volkwagen in Annadale at Hylan Boulevard and Huguenot Avenue, cops said.

He allegedly fled from that smash, too.

The alleged drunken driver had bloodshot, watery eyes and slurred speech, and was unsteady on his feet, cops said.

When officers caught up with Jones, he refused to take a Breathalyzer at the scene.

He was charged with driving while intoxicated and leaving the scene of an incident without reporting property damage, according to authorities.

Daily Blotter
By Natasha Velez
December 29, 2013 | 7:59am


Port Authority cops grabbed a knife-wielding mugger who wounded a New Jersey commuter at the PA Bus Terminal on Eighth Avenue, agency sources said.

At about 8 p.m. Friday, suspect Kenneth Mays, 49, put a knife to the back of the 61-year-old victim, of Toms River, NJ, in a terminal restroom, PA sources said.

Mays then grabbed $117 in cash from his pockets, the sources said.

The victim at one point tried to grab the knife and suffered a hand laceration, authorities said.

Responding PA cops arrested Mays, of The Bronx, on charges of robbery and criminal possession of a weapon. The victim was treated at the scene, sources said.

He has six felony and three misdemeanor arrests mostly for criminal possession of stolen property and drug charges, PA cops said.


A suspect escaped police custody after a routine traffic stop in Washington Heights turned up drugs, cops said.

Police observed a 2011 red Honda with its headlights off near 126th Street and Lexington Ave in Harlem at 10 p.m. Friday night.

Cops followed the vehicle into the Heights, where the vehicle was pulled over near 181st Street and Haven Avenue.

When cops approached the vehicle, they got a whiff of marijuana.

Inside the car they found reefer, ecstasy and crack, according to police.

Cops cuffed the two occupants of the vehicle, but one started flailing his arms and slipped away, cops said.

He ran into traffic on the Cross Bronx Expressway and hasn’t been seen since, according to police.

One of the arresting officers suffered a hand injury, cops said.

The second suspect is in police custody.

Staten Island

A couple got the scare of a lifetime at a McDonald’s drive-thru in Stapleton when a gunman fired shots at their vehicle, *police sources said.

The 22-year-old woman was with her beau waiting for an order at the restaurant at Bay and Wave streets at 4 p.m. Monday, cops said.

The suspect walked up and fired seven rounds at the duo but missed, the sources said. No injuries were reported.

Cops identified the suspect as Michael Clarke, 26, also known as “Murda Mike,” who was arrested Thursday.

Clarke has 17 prior arrests dating back to 2004, for assault, criminal trespassing and drug possession, cops said.

He has been charged with criminal possession of a loaded firearm, criminal use of a firearm and reckless endangerment, according to police.

It wasn’t immediately clear what sparked the violence or whether the duo had been previously acquainted with the gunman.


An imprudent pedestrian was killed early Saturday as he was darting across lanes of the Belt Parkway in Coney *Island, cops said.

The victim was at Coney Island Avenue and the parkway when he attempted to cross at about 5 a.m. and was struck by a gray sedan, according to police.

The driver remained on scene, and no criminality is suspected.

The victim, who police said was in his 30s, was found on the roadway with severe trauma and pronounced dead, cops said.

His identity was withheld pending family notification.

Daily blotter
By Daniel Prendergast
December 30, 2013 | 5:21am


A man robbed an Upper East Side drugstore at gunpoint, forcing the pharmacist to fill a bag with Viagra, Cialis and oxycodone tablets before fleeing, authorities said Sunday.

The thief walked into the Health Source Pharmacy on Second Avenue near East 69th Street at around 10 a.m. Dec. 21, pointed a gun at the 27-year-old pharmacist and ordered her to hand over the pills.

The terrified woman did as she was told, loading a brown paper bag with the painkillers and the erectile-enhancement pills before handing it over to the gun-toting thug, who took off, cops said.

Police described the man as approximately *6-foot-1 and 200 pounds.


A woman was nearly raped while walking through Washington Heights, according to authorities.


The 52-year-old victim was walking at West 175th Street and Haven Avenue at around 6 p.m. Friday when a man (pictured at right) came up behind her and threw her to the ground, cops said.

The brute then tried to rape the woman in plain sight before she started screaming and he let her go.

The victim then tried to run home to her building, but the attacker followed her inside, where he stole her cellphone before running off, police said.

Surveillance video caught him entering the building, police said.

He is around 5-foot-10 and 175 pounds, officials said.


A callous thief stole a cellphone from a female good Samaritan as she looked up directions for him after he pretended to be lost in Morningside Heights, according to authorities.

The crook walked up to his 32-year-old victim at Morningside Drive and West 120th Street at around 6:30 p.m. Dec. 9 and asked for directions, cops said.

The helpful woman pulled out her phone to look at a map, but instead of thanking her, the creep grabbed the device and ran into Morningside Park, cops said.



A large group of teens (pictured at left) attacked and robbed a man on a Cypress Hills street, authorities said.

The 40-year-old victim was walking at Liberty Avenue and Berriman Street at around 12:30 a.m. Dec. 21 when two men punched him in the face and knocked him to the ground, according to police.

Several other men and women then ganged up on the victim while he was down, punching and kicking him before stealing his cellphone and fleeing, cops added.

The attackers are believed to be in their late teens.


A gunman shot a teen inside a Bedford-Stuyvesant housing complex, authorities said.

The 18-year-old victim was in the lobby of 85 Tompkins Ave., in the Tompkins Houses, at about 10 a.m. on Dec. 21 when the shooter approached him and fired several shots, striking him once in the right arm, cops said.

The victim was taken to Kings County Hospital, where he was in stable condition.

The gunman, caught on surveillance video running into the building with three other men, is about 5-foot-7, and weighs around 135 pounds, according to police.

He was wearing a dark hooded coat, gray pants and black sneakers.


Two thieves knocked off a Fresh Meadows Bank, authorities said.

The men entered the TD Bank branch on Main Street near 76th Avenue at around 7 p.m. Friday, and one of them displayed a gun and announced a robbery before ordering the employees to the ground, according to police.

The second crook then jumped over the counter and stole $142 before both men fled, cops added.

Daily blotter
By Daniel Prendergast
December 31, 2013 | 3:44am

The Bronx


Three brutes (two pictured at right) barged into a woman’s apartment in Fordham Heights, where they beat and robbed her, authorities said.

The thugs walked into the Webster Avenue building at around 3 p.m. Dec. 16 before heading up to the 21-year-old victim’s pad and knocking on the door, cops said.

When the woman opened the door, all three men burst in with guns in hand and began pistol- whipping the victim in the face, knocking her to the ground, according to police.

The thieves then ransacked her apartment, stealing a laptop, a phone and other property, cops said.



A thief pushed his way into a couple’s Norwood apartment before robbing them, authorities said Monday.

The crook (pictured at left) entered a building at Decatur Avenue and East Gun Hill Road at around 12:30 a.m. Dec. 14 before opening the victims’ apartment door and ordering the man and woman, both 53, to the floor at gunpoint, cops said.

The thief then rifled through the apartment, stealing jewelry and cellphones before fleeing, cops said.


A woman was killed when she was hit by two vehicles in Greenpoint, including a truck driven by an unlicensed driver, according to authorities.

Nicole Detweiler, 32, was crossing McGuinness Boulevard from east to west near Nassau Avenue at around 5:30 p.m. Sunday when she was struck by a BMW that knocked her into the path of an oncoming Isuzu box truck.

Detweiler, who lived just blocks from where she was hit, was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.

The drivers of both vehicles remained at the scene, but Roberto Amador, 35, the operator of the truck, was arrested for driving without a license, cops said.

The arrest came just days after he was busted for the same offense when he hit a cab at West End Avenue and West 105th Street in Manhattan, authorities said.


A Parks Department employee has been charged with sexually abusing an underage female relative over a long period of time, sources said.

Rene Herrera, 57, who was a manager at Forest Park in Kew Gardens, was cuffed Sunday at his home and charged with three counts of sex abuse, cops said.

Police did not give much detail on the victim or say for how long the alleged abuse had gone on, but the sources confirmed that she is a relative and below the age of legal consent.

The alleged abuse apparently took place years ago and it remains unclear what prompted Herrera’s arrest Sunday.

A Parks Department spokesperson said Herrera has been suspended without pay.



A thief robbed an East New York grocery store at gunpoint, according to authorities.

The masked bandit (pictured at right) walked into Ashford Deli and Grocery on Ashford Street at around 9:30 p.m. Christmas Eve and pointed a gun at the clerk’s face, demanding cash, cops said.

The employee did as he was told and handed over $150 before the thug bolted from the store and ran into the Boulevard Houses just across the street, according to police.

The thief is approximately 6 feet tall and weighs around 180 pounds, cops said.

He was last seen wearing a gray hoodie, blue jeans and a ski mask.

Staten Island

A thief trying to snatch another teen’s cellphone in St. George got into a struggle with the victim, who desperately tried to hold on to the device, according to a Criminal Court complaint.

Phillip Joe, 16, approached the victim outside Curtis HS on Hamilton Avenue at around 11 a.m. Dec. 19 and ordered the other boy to hand over his phone, the complaint states.

When the victim refused, Joe put him in a headlock and a struggle ensued.

Joe allegedly managed to grab the phone and flee.

He was arrested not long after and was charged with attempted robbery, attempted petit larceny, attempted assault and harassment, the complaint states.

Daily Blotter
By Natasha Velez, Larry Celona, Daniel Prendergast and Kirstan Conley
January 1, 2014 | 5:18am


A frustrated thief stormed out of an East Village Bank without a cent after two tellers refused to hand over the cash he demanded, law-enforcement sources said.

The man slipped a note penned on a Whole Foods receipt to a teller in the Chase branch on The Bowery and East First Street at 12:18 p.m. Monday.

The note read, “Give me all the money nobody getting hurt!” the sources said.

The robber then whispered in a West Indian accent, “Just read it,” according to the sources.

The teller ignored him and walked away.

Infuriated, the crook screamed at a second teller, “Give me the money!” the sources said.

That teller, too, walked away without giving the would-be robber anything.

Fed up, the thief stomped toward the exit, where he was met by an unsuspecting bank employee who asked him if he needed any help.

The crook shot back, “No, I need money!” and then fled. :p


A woman found anti-Semitic graffiti scrawled on her Lower East Side apartment door, law-enforcement sources said.

The victim, 50, who lives in the Baruch Houses on Columbia Street, found the words “Jewish bitch” written in pencil on her door at around 11 a.m. Saturday, the sources said.

The woman has been targeted in at least one similar incident in the past, and police believe that the hateful messages may be the result of a longstanding dispute with a neighbor.

The NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force is investigating.

The Bronx

A 27-year-old man was shot in a Morrisiana deli, cops said.

Two gunmen chased the victim to the back of the Sheridan Mini Mart on Tinton Avenue near East 166th Street at around 7:20 p.m. Friday, cops said.

The victim struggled with the assailants and managed to wrest the gun away from one of the thugs, but was shot in the right shoulder, police said.

The attackers fled in a white vehicle.

The victim is being treated Lincoln Hospital, where he is listed in stable condition.


A hateful vandal spray- painted a giant swastika on a Kingsbridge synagogue, sources said.

The disturbing discovery was made by the president of the Kingsbridge Center of Israel synagogue when he showed up at around 8:30 a.m. Monday and was met with the 4-square-foot swastika, sprayed in black paint across the front wall of the building.

He told police that the hateful symbol was not there when he was locking up the building at around 6 p.m. Sunday.

Police are canvassing the area for surveillance video, but no arrests had been made as of Tuesday evening.


Cops are searching for three dimwits who robbed a Chinese- food deliverymen in Sheepshead Bay.

The schemers placed an order for a delivery to a building on Avenue U near Ford Street at around 9:20 p.m. Thursday, and when the deliveryman, 43, arrived, the group was waiting for him in a black SUV outside, according to police.

The robbers ambushed the worker, with two of them pulling guns and demanding cash, cops said.

The third thug stayed behind the wheel, according to police.

But the numbskulls had actually walked into the restaurant before the heist and paid for the takeout in full view of surveillance video, cops said.

Police believe the trio also robbed a delivery person from a second Chinese restaurant at East 28th Street and Avenue V at around 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 23.

Staten Island

A man was forced to give up his cellphone and wallet by a thug brandishing a gun — and a pit bull, sources said.

The 34-year-old victim was heading home from work at around 1:15 a.m. Monday when the thief, walking his pit bull near the corner of Fort Terrace and Daniel Low Place in St. George, asked him for the time, a law-enforcement sources said.

The victim ignored the man, only to feel the barrel of a gun pressed against him moments later.

The thief and an accomplice who appeared on the scene patted him down and took his cellphone and wallet before fleeing.

Queens pair are first New York City murders of 2014
By Kirstan Conley and Lorena Mongelli
January 2, 2014 | 9:50am

Two Queens residents on Wednesday became the city’s first murder victims of 2014.

The first was Julio Mora, 22, of Ozone Park, who was shot dead at a wild St. Albans house party at 1:15 a.m.

Cops had been called to the party several times because the guests were so rowdy, neighbors said.

The second fatality was Malik Bhola, 17, of Springfield Gardens.

Bhola was shot in the chest after leaving a house party in Bushwick, Brooklyn, at 3 a.m

Daily Blotter
By Kirstan Conley
January 3, 2014 | 4:20am


Cops responding to a fight on a Brownsville subway platform arrested a gunman on New Year’s Day, officials said.

William White, 24, got into a dispute with a straphanger in the Broadway Junction station around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, cops said.

Bystanders alerted transit cops patrolling nearby and pointed out White, who fled as the officers closed in, police said.

White shoved people out of the way as he ran out of the station and onto Fulton Street before rounding the corner on Truxton Avenue, according to police.

During the chase, White tossed a .44 Magnum revolver into the street, cops said.

Police grabbed the gun and White, and charged him with weapon possession, obstruction of governmental administration and disorderly conduct, authorities said.


A gunman is on the loose after shooting a man in the leg in Bedford-Stuyvesant, police said.

The shooter walked up to the victim inside a building on Marcus Garbey Boulevard, near Monroe Street, around 6:40 p.m. Wednesday and pumped one round into the victim’s lower left leg, according to cops.

The shooter fled and the victim was taken to Kings County Hospital for injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, authorities said.


A man was clinging to life after being shot in East New York Thursday morning, police said.

An unidentified gunman opened fire on the victim around 9:15 a.m. on the corner of Livonia and Sheffield avenues, cops said.

The unidentified victim was struck once in the head and once in the neck, according to police.

He was rushed to Brookdale Hospital in critical condition, authorities said.

No arrests have been made.


A woman bit and kicked cops who tried to arrest her after she threatened to stab her neighbors in Crown Heights, authorities said.

On Nov. 24, Mariah Lopez began arguing with people who had asked her to put out a cigarette and keep her cat away from them in the Lincoln Place building near Rogers Avenue. Lopez chased them down the hallway, knife in hand, while yelling homophobic slurs and threatening to cut them, a Criminal Court complaint charges.

When police arrived, Lopez kicked, spit and shoved one of the cops and then lay on her hands to avoid being cuffed, records say.

Lopez was charged with assault, menacing, obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest, attempted assault and harassment, documents state.


Two thugs assaulted a female employee before trying to rob a Subway restaurant in Harlem, police said.

The suspects walked into the sandwich shop on West 135th Street near St. Nicholas Avenue around 7:20 p.m. on Dec. 15, shoved a 46-year-old employee to the ground and tried in vain to grab cash, according to police.

The victim was not seriously injured and no arrests have been made, authorities said.


Four attackers slashed two men and a woman with knives and bottles inside an Inwood parking garage, police said.

The suspects made a remark that set off an argument with the victims in the garage on Tenth Avenue near Isham Street around 4:05 a.m., Dec. 26, cops said.

The knife- and bottle-wielding thugs then slashed the 19-year-old woman and her two 25-year-old pals, all from The Bronx, according to police.

The men were taken to Montefiore and St. Barnabus hospitals, where they were treated for cuts to their faces, cops said.

The woman was treated at Columbia Presbyterian for facial wounds, according to police.

None of the injuries was believed to be life-threatening. No arrests have been made.

Staten Island

A thief who stole more than $50,000 from his grandfather’s bank accounts has been charged with grand larceny and possession of stolen property, authorities said.

Anthony Graffino, 31, took the elderly victim’s Discover credit card and Chase bank card and withdrew more than $50,000 in cash before making at least $3,000 worth of iTunes purchases with one of the cards, a Criminal Court complaint charges.

After he was busted, the thief confessed to taking the cards, withdrawing the cash and making the purchases, court records state.

Graffino was charged with four counts of grand larceny and three counts of criminal possession of stolen property, according to a spokesman for Staten Island District Attorney Daniel Donovan.

Daily Blotter
By Kirstan Conley and Natasha Velez
January 4, 2014 | 5:26am

The Bronx

A 20-year-old man was gunned down in the Fordham section, cops said.

Shaquille Malcom was inside the lobby of an apartment building on Bronx Park East near Britton Street at around 5:30 p.m. Thursday when an unidentified gunman squeezed several bullets into his head and torso, according to police.

Malcom was pronounced dead at the scene.

He had five prior arrests, three of which were sealed.

The two unsealed busts were for criminal trespassing and assault with a knife, law-enforcement sources said.



A home invader barged into a woman’s Soundview apartment and snatched a gold chain off her neck, cops said.

The victim unlocked her door after hearing a knock at her apartment on East 172nd Street near Manor Avenue at around 10 a.m. Dec. 26, and the suspect (pictured at right) pushed his way in, police said.

The woman’s two brothers were inside the apartment and rushed to defend her, police said.

They struggled with the intruder, who managed to grab the woman’s chain in the melee, cops said.

No injuries were reported and no arrests have been made.

The suspect, who was wearing a red jacket and black jeans :mad:, is 6-foot-2 and about 210 pounds.


A thief plucked a woman’s cellphone and debit card from her purse in a Kingsbridge car repair shop, police said.

The suspect took the items inside Dale-Way Auto Body on Tibbett Avenue at around 12:30 p.m. on Oct. 28, cops said. He was seen on surveillance video, but police have not yet been able to identify him.



A suspected gunman was seen on video strolling near the crime scene after a shooting, police said.

The footage shows the suspect (right) peeling back his hoodie shortly after allegedly firing several rounds into the neck and chest of a 38-year-old man at Sheffield and Pennsylvania avenues in East New York at around 9 a.m. Thursday, cops said.

The victim was rushed to Brookdale Hospital and is expected to survive, cops said.



Police are asking for the public’s help in finding a suspected gunman who they believe committed the city’s first reported murder of the new year.

Sheldon Smith, 26, is wanted in connection with the shooting death of Julio Mora during a New Year’s Eve party at 150-25 113th Ave. in St. Albans at around 1:15 a.m. Wednesday.

Mora, 22, was shot in the chest and pronounced dead at the scene.

Smith is 6 feet tall and 160 pounds with brown eyes and black hair.

His last known address was 150-37 Linden Blvd.

Staten Island

Cops released the name of a suspect who allegedly shot a young man in Richmond Terrace last fall.

Timothy Barton, 25, shot the 23-year-old in the chest behind a home on Burgher Avenue, near Henderson Avenue, at around 11 p.m. on Oct. 4, police said.

The victim was treated for the gunshot wound at Richmond University Medical Center and later released.

Barton fled, according to cops. He is 6 feet tall, 240 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. :mad:

Daily Blotter
By Daniel Prendergast and Antonio Anntenucci
January 6, 2014 | 5:12am


A hateful vandal spray-painted swastikas on a Hebrew-school bus in Mapleton, sources said.

The manager of the United Talmudical Academy made the disturbing discovery on one of the school’s buses at around 7:30 a.m. Dec. 30.

He spotted two gold swastikas scrawled across the right side of the bus, which was parked at 21st Avenue and 57th Street.

The culprit also tagged the bus with unintelligible writing.



A thief took advantage of a passed-out straphanger on a Brooklyn-bound subway train — but didn’t get away unnoticed, authorities said.

The phone he stole was equipped with an application that snapped his picture (right).

The phone’s sloshed owner, 23, had boarded the southbound No. 4 train at 101st Street in Manhattan at around 3 a.m. Dec. 8 and fell asleep on his journey home, cops said.

Somewhere along the way, The thief sat down next to the vulnerable victim and used a sharp object to cut open the man’s pockets, removing his wallet and cellphone, cops said.

When the victim awoke near the Borough Hall station in Brooklyn, he realized he had been pick-pocketed and called police.


Police have released the identity of an East Flatbush man who was gunned down in broad daylight while shoveling snow, authorities said.

Duane Lett, 34, was digging out his car near his home on Rockaway Parkway at 1 p.m. Saturday when the killer walked up and shot him four times in the head before running off, cops said.

Lett was rushed to Kings County Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, cops said.


A city sanitation worker was arrested for stealing merchandise while moonlighting at a Home Depot in East New York, authorities said.

Alexander Ortiz, 33, was working part-time at the home-improvement store while off-duty from his trash-collecting job and was apparently giving stolen items to family members, cops said. He allegedly altered inventory records to cover his tracks.

Ortiz was arrested Friday and charged with grand larceny, falsifying business records and possession of stolen property.


Police arrested a teenage gunman who opened fire on a group of rivals in Brownsville, according to a Criminal Court complaint.

Kareem Hendricks, 16, was hanging out near the Brownsville Houses at Rockaway and Sutter avenues with a group of friends at noon Dec. 18 when he suddenly started shouting at other teenagers across the street, the complaint says.

Hendricks then allegedly pulled out a gun and started blasting at the teens, sending both groups scattering.

Hendricks tried to ditch the Jennings .22-caliber pistol under a parked car, but responding officers quickly found it and arrested him, the complaint says.

He was charged with reckless endangerment and possession of a weapon, according to the complaint.

Staten Island

An Arden Heights man drunkenly assaulted two guys and hit a woman with his car before fleeing, authorities said.

Anthony Fiore, 24, punched two men in the face during an altercation at East Service Road and Arthur Kill Road in Rossville at 3 a.m. Nov. 24, according to a Criminal Court complaint.

Fiore then hit a woman with his 2013 BMW as he fled, authorities said. He also struck the victim’s car several times, the complaint alleges.

He was arrested more than five miles away, at Buffalo Street and Hylan Boulevard, after cops stopped him and found him allegedly intoxicated and reeking of alcohol.

Fiore refused to take a Breathalyzer test and was charged with DWI, assault and leaving the scene of an accident, according to the complaint.

The woman’s injuries were not life-threatening.

The Bronx

Three thugs brutally beat and robbed a man in the West Bronx, authorities said.

The unidentified victim was standing outside a building on East Burnside Avenue near Morris Avenue at around noon Nov. 16 when the men snatched his Samsung Galaxy cellphone from his hands, according to a Criminal Court complaint.

When the victim grabbed his phone back, the brutes punched him and beat him while he was on the ground.

The injured man attempted to run, but was chased down by the muggers and repeatedly punched and kicked, according to the complaint.

He was treated at an area hospital for cuts and bruises.

Christopher Vernon, 23, was arrested and charged with robbery, grand larceny and assault in the crime. The other two thugs are still at large, the complaint states.

Daily blotter
By Daniel Prendergast and Kirstan Conley
January 7, 2014 | 5:26am

The Bronx


A man managed to fight off two home invaders masquerading as deliverymen (right) when they tried to barge into his Bedford Park home, authorities said.

The victim, 52, heard his doorbell ring at around 3:45 p.m. Dec. 23 and saw through the peephole a man claiming to be a UPS worker who was holding a box, cops said.

When the resident opened the door, the phony deliveryman and an accomplice tried to push their way inside, cops said.

Determined to protect his home, the man fought the thugs off while screaming for his neighbors to call 911.

The bandits eventually gave up and fled empty- handed.

Both men are in their 20s, cops said, with one described as about 5-foot-7 and weighing around 160 pounds, and the other standing approximately 5-foot-10 and weighing about 220 pounds.


A young man was gunned down in a Castle Hill housing project, authorities said.

Christian Hernandez, 21, was in the lobby of the Castle Hill Houses on Olm*stead Avenue at around 4 p.m. Sunday when he was shot twice in the torso, cops said.

Hernandez was pronounced dead at the scene. The circumstances of the shooting are unclear, police said.


A woman was struck and killed by an SUV just steps from her Jamaica Hills home.

Mosa Khatun, 38, was crossing 169th Street near Highland Avenue at around 9 p.m. Sunday when a Nissan Armada, traveling west on Highland, made a left turn and plowed into her, cops said.

The driver, a 20-year-old woman, kept moving, but quickly returned to the scene, according to police.

Khatun was rushed to Queens General Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The driver of the vehicle was not arrested, but was cited for failing to yield to a pedestrian and for failing to exercise caution, according to police.


An off-duty police officer was charged with roughing up and choking his girlfriend at the couple’s Fresh Meadows home, authorities said.

Brooklyn cop Kenneth Avila, 42, got into a fight with his girlfriend Sunday morning before allegedly choking her.

Avila was arrested at around 5 p.m. that day and charged with criminal obstruction of breathing and harassment, cops said.

Staten Island

A man threatened his girlfriend with a loaded gun in Westerleigh, authorities said.

John Cartier, 50, pointed the weapon at the 43-year-old victim at around 8:30 a.m. Dec. 28 in front of his home on St. John Avenue near Watchogue Road, a Criminal Court complaint charges.

When cops searched his home, they found a loaded Derringer and a loaded Winchester rifle, court records show.

Cartier does not have a license to carry a firearm in the city, according to the documents.

He was charged with weapons possession, menacing and harassment, according to a spokesman for District Attorney Daniel Donovan.


A New Jersey man visiting pals in New Springville swiped cash and a phone from one of his friends, a Criminal Court complaint charges.

Wayne Laborante, 23, snatched his 19-year-old pal’s iPhone 5 from the man’s hand and grabbed $190 in cash from the victim’s pocket at Richmond and Rockland avenues at around 4:40 p.m. Saturday, according to the court papers.

Cops busted the alleged thief at the scene and charged him with grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property.


A man has been charged with trying to break into a Woodrow house, according to a Criminal Court complaint.

Anthony Schinas claims that he was drunk when he stumbled up to the front door of a home on Darlington Street at around 7:30 a.m. Dec. 28 and started using a metal object to pry open the front door, the complaint says.

The homeowner called police after hearing the commotion and spotting the would-be burglar in the act of damaging the doorknob, the court papers claim.

The 32-year-old Schinas, who claims he was too drunk to remember the incident, was arrested and charged with attempted burglary, criminal mischief, trespassing and possession of burglar’s tools, according to the DA’s spokesman.

In an unrelated case, the bumbling thief was also charged with stealing more than $50 worth of Christmas wreaths from a supermarket in Rossville on Dec. 4, sources said.