Ex-Penn St. Coach Sandusky Charged With Homo Sex Abuse of Young Boys

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/18760404/2012/06/11/sandusky-trial-begins-with-disturbing-testimony

Sandusky Trial Begins With Disturbing Testimony
Posted: Jun 11, 2012 6:57 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 11, 2012 7:08 PM EDT

BELLEFONTE, Pa. - The Jerry Sandusky trial got under way Monday, and the testimony against the former Penn State assistant football coach was graphic and disturbing but important to hear.

This is the case that brought down several people at Penn State University and changed the school's image for years to come.

FOX 29's Chris O'Connell was live Monday night in Bellefonte, Pa., where the trial is drawing national attention and media into Centre County.

The first accuser to take the stand said horsing around led to "hugging and caressing" and Sandusky "wanting me to wash his body."

An alleged "love letter" to the accuser was introduced in court, as were gifts and memorabilia given to him by Sandusky, such as a snowboard, golf clubs, shoes and jerseys.

The alleged victim said, "I was too scared to tell anyone" but enjoyed "nice things" Sandusky gave him. He also said the older man would put "his had on my leg basically like I was his girlfriend" during car rides.

"I've spent years burying this," he said, adding that he "felt responsible for what happened to other victims" for not coming forward.

When cross examination of the first witness began, the line of questioning from the defense dealt with the timeline of the alleged attacks. Asked why he didn't come forward sooner, the accuser said he was "scared and embarrassed."

He says Sandusky's wife, Dottie walked in on an alleged attack during a trip to the Alamo Bowl, but he initially denied abuse when first questioned by police. He says Sandusky never threatened to hurt him.

Before opening statements began, Sandusky's lawyers made some last minute requests. They want to admit Sandusky's entire autobiography, titled "Touched," as evidence.

Lawyers also want to admit the grand jury testimony of Penn State's former president and administrators who face charges in the scandal.

The defense claims all three will invoke their right against self-incrimination if they are called to testify.

The judge hasn't made a decision yet.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/06/12/2nd-accuser-tearfully-details-sandusky-abuse/

2nd Accuser Tearfully Details Sandusky Abuse
June 12, 2012 1:00 PM

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — A school district guidance counselor initially didn’t believe the abuse claims brought by one of Jerry Sandusky’s alleged victims because the former Penn State assistant football coach was considered to have “a heart of gold,” the accuser told jurors Tuesday.

The teen, labeled Victim No. 1 by a grand jury, tearfully recounted for jurors in Sandusky’s trial repeated instances of abuse, which he said included kissing, fondling and oral sex during sleepovers at the coach’s home.

A social worker who spoke to Sandusky about the boy’s claims testified that the coach denied having sexual contact with the boy but did acknowledge lying on top of him and blowing “raspberries” on the boy’s stomach. The social worker, Jessica Dershem, also said Sandusky told her he couldn’t recall whether he had ever touched the boy below his waistline.

Sandusky is on trial on 52 criminal counts related to the alleged assaults of 10 boys during a 15-year period. Authorities alleged Sandusky abused boys at his home and inside the football team’s on-campus facilities among other places.

The charges against him—and two university officials accused of perjury and failing to report suspected child abuse—touched off a massive scandal that led to the firing of Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno and the departure of the university president. Paterno died in January of lung cancer, just over two months after his ouster.

Now 18, the accuser known as Victim 1 recounted an early encounter that escalated to oral sex.

“I spaced,” he said. “I didn’t know what to do with all the thoughts running through my head, I just kind of blacked out and didn’t want it to happen. I froze.”

As he choked back tears, the sobbing teen recounted another time Sandusky forced him to perform oral sex, after saying it was his “turn.”

“I don’t know how to explain it. I froze, like any other time,” he said. “My mind is telling me to move but I couldn’t do it, I couldn’t move.”

The witness said he stayed quiet about the abuse, in part because his mother thought Sandusky was a positive influence in his life, but he began trying to distance himself from Sandusky.

At one point Sandusky became angry with him because they’d drifted apart and the teen became involved with his local Big Brothers Big Sisters organization, the teen said.

“I got extremely, extremely scared,” he said, recounting how it escalated into an argument between Sandusky and his mother.

Eventually the teen asked his mother if there was a website used to track sex offenders because he wanted to see if Sandusky was on it. That ultimately led to a meeting with the guidance counselor, where he reported being abused.

At first, the counselor didn’t believe him and questioned the wisdom of going to authorities, the witness said.

“They said we needed to think about it and he has a heart of gold and he wouldn’t do something like that. So they didn’t believe me,” he said.

School officials referred the case to the county’s child-welfare agency.

Dershem, a Clinton County Children & Youth Services caseworker, said the teen was initially uncomfortable talking to her but soon began to open up about his encounters with Sandusky.

She told the jury she had enough evidence by the end of her second meeting with the boy to determine that he had been abused by Sandusky.

He denied sexually assaulting the teen, saying he “he viewed (the boy) as an extended family member, kind of like a son,” Dershem said.

During cross-examination, defense attorney Joe Amendola asked the teen whether he had financial motives for bringing his accusations.

The teen denied that. “All I know is I’m here to tell the truth about what happened to me, just like everybody else,” he said.

Amendola pressed the accuser about his initial statements to a counselor and later the grand jury that were less detailed than later testimony.

The teen, who graduated from high school last week, responded that it was an embarrassing subject to talk about.

“I don’t believe anybody would want to talk about it,” he said.

The teen became upset as Amendola continued to ask about inconsistencies in his statements.

“It’s hard enough for me to tell these folks of the jury what happened, let alone the size of a room,” he said. “You’re asking the same questions over and over again. I’m going to give you the same answers.”

Sandusky didn’t visibly react to the teen’s account and looked straight ahead during his testimony.

Earlier in the morning, Sandusky entered the courthouse via a privacy tent in the back as opposed to Monday, where he strolled across the parking lot.

Another of Sandusky’s alleged victims testified Monday, the trial’s opening day, telling jurors that the coach sent him “creepy love letters.” The man said he began showering with Sandusky in 1997 and what started out as “soap battles” quickly escalated to sexual abuse, including oral sex.

Lead prosecutor Joseph McGettigan III has described Sandusky as a “serial predator” who methodically used his youth charity, The Second Mile, to zero in on fatherless children or those with unstable home lives, buy them gifts and take advantage of them sexually.

Amendola has countered that the case is flimsy and that some of the accusers apparently intend to sue and have a financial stake in the case.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/06/13/accuser-jerry-sandusky-threatened-boy-after-assault/

Accusers: Sandusky Employed Threats And Gifts
June 13, 2012 7:15 PM

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — One, a foster child, said he was threatened, warned he would never see his family again if he ever told anyone what happened. Another said he stayed quiet because he didn’t want to stop getting tickets to the hottest game in town — Penn State football.

That was how two of Jerry Sandusky’s accusers explained the former Penn State assistant coach’s hold over them.

“He told me that if I ever told anyone that I’d never see my family again,” the former foster child said Wednesday, the third day of testimony in Sandusky’s child sexual abuse trial.

He said it terrified him when Sandusky uttered the threat after the coach pinned him while wrestling in the basement of the Sandusky home and performed oral sex on him.

Sandusky, 68, is charged with sexually abusing 10 boys over a 15-year period, accusations he has denied. His arrest last fall rocked Penn State and led to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno for not taking stronger action against Sandusky after allegations emerged a decade ago.

Three of Sandusky’s accusers testified Wednesday, bringing to five the number of them to take the stand.
Tom Kline, the lawyer for one of them, told reporters outside the courthouse: “It’s just remarkable how many children one man can shower with.”

The 25-year-old man who told jurors about the threat to keep him away from his biological family when he was younger said he believed Sandusky’s wife was inside the home, on a different floor, at the time. A foster child placed with another family, he occasionally stayed in the Sanduskys’ basement in State College in the late 1990s.

Speaking in a calm but sometimes hesitant voice, he said Sandusky later apologized for the threat: “He told me he didn’t mean it and that he loved me.”

The man, identified in court papers as Victim 10, said Sandusky also assaulted him on other occasions in 1998 and 1999, including once at a pool and another time in the basement. He said he was about 11 at the time.

An expressionless Sandusky sat mostly still at the defense table during his testimony, occasionally turning his head to look the accuser in the eye.

The accuser is one of two who came forward after Sandusky was initially charged in November with assaulting eight boys.
Sandusky’s attorneys have suggested his accusers have financial reasons for coming forward.

Under cross-examination, the man testified that he was the roommate of another Sandusky accuser at a camp sponsored by Sandusky’s charity, The Second Mile. He also acknowledged spending nearly two years in prison for a robbery and involvement with drugs and alcohol but said he is doing better now.

“I’m married. I’m expecting” a child, he said.

Another boy, dubbed Victim 8, has never been located, and his identity is a mystery to prosecutors, but jurors heard about his alleged sexual abuse by Sandusky anyway.

Judge John Cleland ruled that a co-worker of Penn State janitor Jim Calhoun could testify about what Calhoun told him in November 2000. Calhoun is now suffering from dementia.

The co-worker, Ron “Buck” Petrosky, said that when he encountered Calhoun in a football team locker room, the janitor told him he had seen Sandusky — he didn’t realize it was a famous coach — making a boy perform oral sex on him. Petrosky said Calhoun’s face was white and his hands were trembling.

“He said, ‘Buck, I just witnessed something in there I’ll never forget the rest of my life … that man that just left, he had the boy up against the shower wall, licking on (him),” Petrosky testified.

Also Wednesday, another man, identified as Victim 5, said he met Sandusky at Second Mile Camp in 1999 and began attending Penn State games with Sandusky and others. In 2001, he said, Sandusky asked him to work out at a gym on campus and then groped him in the showers.

Fighting back tears, he testified that Sandusky “kept lurching forward, but I didn’t have anywhere to go. I felt his penis on my back.” He said Sandusky touched his genitals “and then he took my hand and placed it on his.”

Afterward, the 23-year-old man said, Sandusky drove him home and made “no eye contact” with him. They had no contact since.

Another witness, identified as Victim 7, said he was 10 when he met Sandusky through the charity in 1995. He said Sandusky showered with him repeatedly and embraced him during sleepovers.

Sandusky was “wrapping himself around me, holding me tightly” when he slept over at the man’s house, the 27-year-old man said. He said he now has an aversion to chest hair because of his contact with a sometimes-shirtless Sandusky, who has acknowledged
he showered with boys but says he never molested them.

The accuser also described Sandusky rubbing his nipples and touching him beneath his shorts.
The man recalled attending Penn State football games with Sandusky’s family and receiving free tickets from Sandusky as recently as 2009.

“I was kind of ashamed about it. I didn’t want anybody to know,” he said. “Probably most importantly, I didn’t want my parents to keep me from going to games. I didn’t want them to sort of freak out.”

He said that he told his parents of the abuse only last year, after being approached by police, and that many of the details have only come to him in the past year or so. He likened blocking out the negative memories to “putting stuff in the attic.”

During cross-examination, defense attorney Joseph Amendola noted that the man’s testimony was more detailed than what he told a grand jury last year. The witness replied that he had started going to counseling.

“Talking about different events and through talking about things in my past, different things have triggered different memories,” he said.

Jurors also heard excerpts from a television interview Sandusky did on NBC’s “Rock Center” soon after his arrest in November.
In the interview with Bob Costas, Sandusky said he’s not a pedophile but shouldn’t have showered with boys.

The judge said the prosecution’s case should wrap up by the end of the day on Friday.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/06/14/accuser-describes-shower-encounter-with-jerry-sandusky/

Sandusky Accuser Says He Once Screamed For Help
June 14, 2012 12:05 PM

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — Three more accusers took the stand at Jerry Sandusky’s sex-abuse trial Thursday, one of whom said the former Penn State assistant football coach called himself the “tickle monster” before embracing him in a shower and another who said he was forced into sex acts during more than a hundred nights he spent in the ex-coach’s home.

A state investigator also testified that authorities heard about a key witness, assistant coach Mike McQueary, through an anonymous email to Centre County prosecutors. The investigator, Anthony Sassano, said authorities identified some of Jerry Sandusky’s alleged abuse victims through pictures and lists seized from his home and office and that the university was “not very quick” in getting investigators information as part of the probe.

A third alleged victim who testified Thursday said he loved Sandusky and that he viewed him as a father figure, but that he became angry with Sandusky because he never reached out to him after the witness moved away.

The three alleged victims who testified Thursday brought to eight the number of accusers to take the stand over the trial’s first four days. Jurors also heard about two other alleged victims who have not been located by investigators.

The ex-coach faces 52 criminal counts involving alleged assaults of 10 boys over a 15-year span. He denies the charges, which brought disgrace to Penn State and led to the ouster of both the school’s president and Hall of Fame football coach Joe Paterno.

Sandusky’s attorney questioned accusers Thursday about connections they had with other alleged victims. The defense has claimed that the accusers have financial motives, but they’ve all denied that.

After testimony ended Thursday, Judge John Cleland said court would resume on Monday.

“Between now and then, we’ve got three days of temptation. I can’t tell you — although I tried to express it a number of times — how important it is that you not talk, text, tweet, watch televisions, let anybody talk to you about it, share any information — particularly share any opinions about what you think may be going on in the case,” he told jurors. “It’s better to say absolutely nothing.”

Senior Deputy Attorney General Joseph McGettigan told The Associated Press that prosecutors had not yet rested in their case against Sandusky.

The last of the trial’s eight accusers was an 18-year-old who recently graduated from high school. The teen said his mother summoned police to their home to talk to him after Sandusky’s arrest in November 2011.

The accuser said Thursday that he was 11 or 12 when he first met Sandusky in 2004. Sandusky took him to Penn State football games and gave him money and gifts, including a tennis racket and a running suit.

The teen testified that he ended up staying at Sandusky’s home more than 100 times up until 2009, maybe even 150 or so, sleeping in the basement which had a water bed.

The sexual abuse began with oral sex and elevated into anal sex, he said.

“There was no fighting against it,” he said, adding sometimes he would scream and “tell him to get off me.”

During his cross examination, the teenager said he screamed out for help at least once when Sandusky’s wife, Dottie, was in the house, but he did not know if she heard him because he thought the basement was “soundproof.”

“Nobody can hear you down there,” he said.

One of the other men who testified Thursday is now a member of the Army National Guard. He described frequent sleepovers at Sandusky’s home in 1998 and 1999 that included the ex-coach rubbing his body and touching his penis. He also said Sandusky gave him a bear hug in the shower.

The man said he lived with his mother at the time but did not get along with her. He didn’t know where his father was.

He testified that he felt uncomfortable when Sandusky touched his genitals in bed, and that he would roll over to prevent anything else from happening, but that he didn’t tell Sandusky not to get into bed with him.

“He made me feel like I was a part of something, like a family,” the man said. “He gave me things that I hadn’t had before.” He said he loved Sandusky, and that Sandusky treated him like he was part of an extended family who was “unconditionally loved.”

He said he became angry with Sandusky because the ex-coach never reached out to him after the witness was sent out of the area to live in a group home.

“He just forgot about me, like I was nothing,” said the 25-year-old man known in court documents as Victim 3. “I would pray he would call me and maybe find a way to get me out of there … but it never happened.”

Earlier Thursday, another accuser testified that Sandusky called himself the “tickle monster” and embraced the then-11-year-old boy in a Penn State shower in 1998, an encounter that prompted an investigation but ultimately ended without any charges being filed.

The now-25-year-old alleged victim, known in court records as Victim 6, told jurors Sandusky embraced him in a locker room shower, lathered up his back and shoulders then lifted him chest-to-chest to a shower head to rinse out his hair.

The man said the shared shower happened after a brief workout at a campus gym — even though he hadn’t broken a sweat. His mother went to authorities when she saw her son come home with wet hair, although the inquiry spawned by her report didn’t lead to any charges.

The witness, who described himself as a big football fan, testified that Sandusky had given him a tour of the Penn State football locker room and training facilities, and had him try on some equipment of players including star running back Curtis Enis.

One of the investigators who interviewed the boy and Sandusky at the time, Ronald Schreffler, told the court he thought charges were warranted but that the district attorney, Ray Gricar, disagreed.

Gricar cannot explain his decision — he disappeared in 2005 and was later declared legally dead.

On cross-examination, the man testified that in recent years he and Sandusky exchanged text messages, sent notes for holidays and special occasions and last summer met for lunch. He also told the court that Sandusky and his wife, Dottie, had supported a mission trip he took to Mexico.

When asked why he had decided to testify against Sandusky, the witness said he had been approached by investigators and asked to think more about the 1998 encounter.

“As I started to go over it in my mind I quickly realized, my perception changed thinking about it as an adult as opposed to an 11-year-old,” he said. “That was inappropriate, what happened to me.”

Asked if he was looking for financial benefit from coming forward, the man replied, “Zero.”

Schreffler, a former Penn State police officer who now works for the Department of Homeland Security, said he overheard Sandusky tell to alleged victim’s mother that he wished he was dead as investigators listened in on a conversation set up for the woman to confront him.

During his cross-examination, Sandusky’s attorney presented a transcript of an interview with the accuser in which the boy said there was no sexual contact in the shower.

Gricar was last seen April 15, 2005, about nine months before he was to retire as district attorney, after telling his girlfriend he was going for a drive. His car later was found abandoned at an antiques market.

Gricar’s laptop was found three months later in the nearby Susquehanna River, without its hard drive, which was found separately — and upriver — that October. Investigators later said Gricar had done searches on another computer about how to destroy a hard drive, without explaining why that might be relevant to his disappearance.

Sassano, the state investigator, said authorities obtained lists of children that attended events sponsored by Sandusky’s charity, The Second Mile, sending investigators across a wide swath of the State College region to talk to participants. They also poured through Sandusky’s biography, “Touched,” and other documents found in his home and office.

They brainstormed about who else could have been in university buildings during off hours, including janitors and others. Eventually, they issued subpoenas to Penn State.

“Penn State, to be quite frank, was not very quick in getting us our information,” he said.

They talked to assistants and others who worked in some of the buildings and locker rooms at the school.

Sassano also explained how investigators pinned down the year that McQueary saw Sandusky in a shower with a boy.

Prosecutors had initially said the abuse took place in 2002 but later changed the year to 2001.

Sassano said he followed up on McQueary’s recollection that he had been watching the inspirational football movie “Rudy” on TV that night. The investigator bought television guides and determined the film had been on TV during a week in early February 2001 but wasn’t listed during that period in 2002, he said.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/06/19/wife-nothing-inappropriate-between-sandusky-boys/

Wife: Nothing Inappropriate Between Sandusky, Boys :rolleyes:
June 19, 2012 7:46 PM

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (AP) — Jerry Sandusky’s wife testified Tuesday that she remembers most of the men who told a jury that her husband sexually abused them, but she said he never had inappropriate contact with them as boys.

She also said that the basement where the boys would stay wasn’t soundproof, a statement that contradicted one man’s testimony that he screamed during an assault but couldn’t be heard.

Defense lawyers called the former Penn State assistant football coach’s wife to the witness stand Tuesday after they went after two investigators, suggesting that police shared details among accusers and planted the seeds of the alleged victims’ evolving accounts of abuse.

The jury also heard from a psychologist who testified that Sandusky has a personality disorder that might explain the “creepy” letters he sent to one of his accusers. The defense also offered more testimony touting Jerry Sandusky’s reputation as a family man and community stalwart.

Sandusky is charged with 51 criminal counts related to 10 alleged victims over a 15-year span. He’s accused of engaging in illegal sexual contact ranging from fondling to forced oral and anal sex.

Dottie Sandusky has stood by her husband, posting his bail, accompanying him to court proceedings and issuing a statement in December that proclaimed his innocence and said that accusers were making up their stories. She is not charged in the case.

In her testimony she said she knew several of the accusers, some well. Some of them, she said, were “clingy” around her husband
while another was “charming.” Nearly all would stay overnight in the Sandusky home and her husband “would tell them good night,” she said.

One witness testified last week that he was attacked by Jerry Sandusky in the basement of the ex-coach’s home and cried out for help when Dottie Sandusky was upstairs. She, however, said the basement was not soundproof and she would have been able to hear shouting if she was upstairs.

She also rebutted one victim’s claim that Sandusky tried to engage in oral sex with him while in a hotel bathroom at the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Texas. The man said the assault was interrupted when Dottie Sandusky walked into an adjoining room.

“They were just standing … in a hallway kind of thing… they had their clothes on, they were fully clothed,” she said.

The psychologist, Elliot Atkins, told jurors that he diagnosed Sandusky with histrionic personality disorder after talking with the ex-coach for six hours.

People with the disorder often interact with others in inappropriately seductive ways and don’t feel comfortable unless they’re the center of attention, Atkins explained.

“Often these are people who did not have as much success in relationships — emotional or romantic — (and) relationships in life,” he said, responding to questions from Sandusky lawyer Joe Amendola.

According to the National Institutes of Health, histrionic personality disorder occurs more often in women than in men.

Sandusky’s attorney is hoping to convince jurors that the disorder could explain his client’s letters to the accuser known as Victim 4 and other interaction that prosecutors allege show his grooming of victims.

A prosecution psychologist, John Sebastian O’Brien II, however, testified that Sandusky was a man who juggled many tasks at once, something not akin to the disorder.

“I don’t see anything in any of that information to suggest he was a person with a personality disorder that caused him any problems,” O’Brien said.

Amendola also questioned two state police investigators about what details they shared during interviews with the alleged victims, in particular with Victim 4.

Amendola asked retired Cpl. Joseph Leiter if investigators told interviewees about others who had stepped forward.
“In some of our interviews … we did tell them,” he said.

Asked why, Leiter said it was to let possible victims know they were not alone.

“Each of these accusers was very, very seriously injured, and very concerned, and we had told them — especially prior to going to the grand jury — that they wouldn’t be alone, that there were others,” Leiter said.

Leiter said that did not include sharing individual accusers’ recollections of abuse, such as specific sex acts.
“We never told them what anyone else had ever told us,” he said.

But Amendola later read Leiter portions of an interview transcript in which the investigator told the accuser that others had reported abuse that progressed to oral sex and rape.

Victim 4, now 28, testified last week that Sandusky sexually abused him in the locker-room showers and in hotels for five years while trying to ensure his silence with gifts and trips to bowl games.

On the stand, he admitted that he lied to police and his own lawyer about the alleged abuse, saying he had “denied it forever.”
But he testified calmly and firmly, saying Sandusky performed oral sex on him and sent him “creepy love letters.”

The man’s attorney, Ben Andreozzi, also was called to the stand and asked about a discussion he had with investigators during a break in an interview with his client.

On a difficult-to-hear recording of the discussion, Andreozzi and Leiter can be heard talking about the investigation while the accuser is out of the room.

Andreozzi acknowledged to jurors that a guilty verdict in Sandusky’s trial could have an impact on his client if he files a civil lawsuit, but he told the court that hadn’t been decided yet.

Andreozzi also denied coaching his client on what to say to investigators.

“He viewed Jerry as a father figure to him. It’s been extremely difficult talking about this publicly,” Andreozzi said.

The defense appeared to catch one of the investigators in a lie after recalling him to the stand.

Trooper Scott Rossman said that he hadn’t spoken to Leiter about their testimony after he first left the stand Tuesday, but Leiter said they had talked about it.

Meanwhile, another witness told jurors she knew Victim 4 through her brother and that he had a reputation for “dishonesty and embellished stories.” The woman, who said her brother was the alleged victim’s best friend, is an Iraq war veteran who suffered a brain injury before she was discharged.

The defense also called former New York Jets linebacker Lance Mehl, who played for the Nittany Lions in the 1970s.

“We all looked up to him as a class act,” Mehl said when Amendola asked him about Sandusky’s reputation.

Earlier Tuesday, Amendola told reporters to “stay tuned” to find out if Sandusky would take the stand himself, comparing the case to a soap opera. Asked which soap opera, Amendola initially said “General Hospital,” then “All My Children.”

Prosecutors rested their case Monday after presenting 21 witnesses, including eight who said they had been assaulted by Sandusky. The identities of two other alleged victims are unknown to investigators.

Sandusky’s arrest led the university trustees to fire Paterno as coach in November, saying his response to the 2001 report from McQueary showed a lack of leadership. Paterno died of cancer in January.

By taking the stand, Dottie Sandusky has presumably waived any right not to testify against her husband, one prominent Philadelphia defense lawyer said.

Spouses can assert spousal immunity to avoid testifying about anything said in confidence to them by their spouse. But Dottie Sandusky has presumably agreed to waive that privilege since she took the stand, lawyer Brian McMonagle said.

“They’re doing that to show he’s got a wife, he’s normal, kids came over and slept there and there’s never a problem,” McMonagle said. “They want to paint him as normal as they can. I’m sure she’s probably going to be an effective witness in that regard.”

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ged-Victim-Travis-Weaver-Talks-159905105.html

EXCLUSIVE: First Sandusky Accuser Talks on TV
Travis Weaver is the first alleged victim to come forward and tell his story op
By Karen Araiza | Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 | Updated 4:06 PM EDTView

Travis-Weaver-Exclusive-Sandusky-Rock-Center.jpg

Travis Weaver talks exclusively on Rock Center with Brian Williams at 10 p.m. on Thursday, June 21, 2012. Weaver claims he was sexually abused by Jerry Sandusky more than 100 times.

Travis Weaver is the first alleged victim to come forward and tell his story on television. Weaver claims he was sexually abused by Jerry Sandusky. He talks tonight, exclusively to NBC's Kate Snow on Rock Center at 10 p.m on NBC10.

Weaver has testified in front of a grand jury, although not the grand jury probe that led to the current trial and Weaver was not called as a witness in the current trial. He is suing Sandusky and Penn State University.

Weaver told Snow (@tvkatesnow) that Jerry Sandusky sexually abused him more than one hundred times over a period of four years, starting in 1992 when he was just 10 years old.

Weaver, now 30, says he thought he was the only boy it happened to, until he saw Sandusky on the news, arrested on charged he molested other boys.

Travis Weaver says he never told a soul until last fall, when he told his family his story for the first time. Weaver says he still feels numb, but that it's been therapeutic to speak out.

Kate Snow talks live to NBC10 News this afternoon in our 5 p.m. hour. And you can see Snow's full interview with Travis Weaver on Rock Center with Brian Williams tonight at 10 p.m. only on NBC10 News.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Sandsuky-Son-Testify-NBC-Source-159859365.html

Sandusky's Adopted Son Almost Testified Against Dad: NBC News
Sources tell NBC News that Sandusky's son was in the courthouse Wednesday ready to rebut his father's testimony if Jerry Sandusky had testified
By Dan Stamm | Thursday, Jun 21, 2012 | Updated 10:38 AM

The threat of the adopted son of Jerry Sandusky possibly delivering potentially damaging testimony may have prevented his father from taking the stand in his own defense against charges of child-sex abuse, sources tell NBC News.

In a report on the Today Show Thursday morning, Michael Isikoff reported that Matt Sandusky, one of six of Jerry and Dottie Sandusky’s adopted children, was caught by an NBC camera entering the Centre County courthouse Wednesday as rumors swirled that Jerry Sandusky was going to take the stand to explain the so-called love letters and the Bob Costas' interview on Rock Center With Brian Williams.

With Matt Sandusky, 33, in the courthouse, Jerry Sandusky, lawyers and Judge John Cleland :p went into judge’s chambers. They emerged about 30 minutes later with Jerry Sandusky appearing more somber. At that time Sandusky’s lawyer put to rest any rumors of his client testifying by saying, “the defense rests.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

It’s still not clear what Matt Sandusky -- who Sandusky met through his charity The Second Mile in 1995 and would later adopt when he was 18 -- could have said on the stand and NBC News’ attempts to reach him were unsuccessful. He was a stalwart of his father through much of the trial and even sat with his mother and other family members in court last week.

But, according to NBC News sources, Matt Sandusky contacted prosecutors after the trial began and told them he would provide testimony about some of the events he allegedly witnessed his 68-year-old father commit.

A source close to Sandusky told NBC News that no single factor led to the ex-Penn State assistant coach choosing to not testify.

Closing arguments began Thursday morning and the jury could get the case before the day ends. They will have three less charges to consider after Cleland tossed two counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse related to the alleged sexual abuse of an accuser known as Victim 4. Cleland says the charges did not bear out what testimony revealed.

The judge also removed a count that he says was redundant.

Cleland also ruled against a defense motion to dismiss five counts related to a boy who was allegedly seen with Sandusky by a janitor.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/06/22/jerry-sandusky-trial-verdict/

Jerry Sandusky Guilty On 45 Counts
BAIL REVOKED: Sandusky Heads To Center County Correctional Facility
June 22, 2012 9:34 PM

BELLEFONTE, Pa. (CBS/AP) —Jerry Sandusky showed little emotion as the jury in child sex abuse trial read the verdict finding him “guilty” on 45 counts and “not guilty” on three. The judge immediately revoked his bail and he was handcuffed and sent to the Center County Correctional Facility.

“The Sandusky family is very disappointed obviously by the verdict of the jury but we respect their verdict, said defense attorney Joe Amendola. “We have some appeal issues, we’ll pursue.”

The 68-year-old former Penn State assistant football coach fought 48 counts that accused him of abusing 10 boys over 15 years.

Word of a verdict broke at about 9:30 p.m. and a court official alerted the media it would be returned at about 9:50 p.m. The courtroom was closed by the time the jury and attorneys assembled for the verdict, and no one was be allowed to leave until court until it was adjourned, the judge said in a court order earlier in the week. The verdict was read count by count. Media was barred from transmitting any results of the verdict until adjournment, with the judge promising sanctions for any reporter or media organization violating his order and jurors did not grant any post-trial interviews.

After learning about the verdict, Penn State released a statement that read in part: “The legal process has spoken and we have tremendous respect for the men who came forward to tell their stories publicly. No verdict can undo the pain and suffering caused by Mr. Sandusky, but we do hope this judgment helps the victims and their families along their path to healing.”

The Paterno family also responded to the outcome of the trial saying, “Although we understand the task of healing is just beginning, today’s verdict is an important milestone. The community owes a measure of gratitude to the jurors for their diligent service. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the victims and their families.”

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett reacted by first thanking the jury for their willingness to serve on this case, and by saying: “I also want to commend the multiple victims in this case who had the courage to come forward and testify in court, confronting Sandusky, and proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty of these reprehensible crimes,’’ Corbett said.

Earlier in the evening, Sandusky’s lawyer said he would be shocked and “die of a heart attack” if the former Penn State assistant football coach were acquitted on all counts in his child sex abuse trial.

The candid remarks by Joe Amendola lasted about 15 minutes inside the courtroom and opened a wide window into Sandusky’s state of mind as he and his wife, Dottie, waited for a verdict.

Jurors began deliberating the case Thursday and talked all day Friday.

Amendola said the Sanduskys were spending a lot of time praying. He described the atmosphere at their home as like a funeral.

The couple was “crushed” Thursday when lawyers for one of their sons, Matt Sandusky, said the 33-year-old had been prepared to testify on behalf of prosecutors, Amendola said. Matt Sandusky said his father abused him, his attorneys said.

Amendola said he wasn’t surprised by another man, Travis Weaver, who claimed during an NBC interview Thursday that he was abused by Sandusky more than 100 times in the early 1990s, or by any others who might come forward.

“Money does a lot of bad things to people,” he said.

As for Sandusky and his family, Amendola said he has given them an objective appraisal of what they could expect.

“I’ve used the best example I could use: climbing Mount Everest from the bottom of the mountain,” he said. “It’s a daunting, daunting case.”

He also said that Sandusky had his wife talk to a criminal defense lawyer a couple months ago “just to be careful.”

Amendola’s interview ended when he was summoned into the chambers of Judge John Cleland, who presided over the two-week trial. Cleland has issued a gag order barring lawyers from discussing the case.

The verdict will impact not only Sandusky and the eight young men who accused him of molestation, but a range of civil and criminal probes of the scandal that shamed the university and brought down coach Joe Paterno.

The jury’s apparent focus on the charges involving an unknown boy called Victim 2 in court papers renewed attention on the separate criminal case against two former school officials.

Tim Curley, who temporarily stepped down as athletic director, and now-retired vice president Gary Schultz are charged with lying to a grand jury about what they knew of the 2001 assault that then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary said he witnessed.

Jurors took copious notes and appeared to pay close attention Friday as McQueary’s two-hour testimony was read back to them. McQueary, who said he walked in on the assault, testified that he did not see penetration, but he did see a boy pressed up against a wall in the football team shower with Sandusky behind him.

Jurors also reheard the testimony of a McQueary family friend, Dr. Jonathan Dranov, who said that McQueary told him a different version of the story that didn’t include sexual contact.

McQueary, however, also testified that he hadn’t told Dranov everything that he saw.

The jury also sought details from the judge on charges connected to a boy known in court records as Victim 8. Cleland told the jurors in a brief courtroom meeting that they must be satisfied that there is other evidence that abuse occurred, not just statements from a janitor who relayed a co-worker’s account.

On Friday, a judge in Harrisburg scheduled a July 11 status conference with lawyers for Curley and Schultz, who are also charged with failing to properly report suspected child abuse to authorities. They are fighting the charges and await trial.

Philadelphia attorney Fortunato Perri Jr., who has been following the Sandusky trial, said an acquittal of Sandusky on the counts involving Victim 2 could provide a road map for the defense of Curley and Schultz.

“You’ve now had a jury kind of preview your case with respect to the credibility of McQueary,” Perri said. “Who knows if the next jury would believe him or not believe him? But you’ve got to feel pretty good if you’re representing those two guys, and a jury has taken a good long look at McQueary’s testimony and decided something didn’t smell right about it.”

Bruce Antkowiak, a former federal prosecutor and defense attorney who now teaches law at St. Vincent College near Latrobe, said the Sandusky jury’s verdict on the charges involving Victim 2 is legally irrelevant to Curley and Schultz.

That’s because, Antkowiak said, they are charged with violating a legal duty to properly report the allegation that Sandusky abused the boy — regardless of whether it was later proven.

“The underlying truth of what was going on in that shower doesn’t affect their underlying obligation to report the initial allegation,” Antkowiak said.

Defense lawyers for Curley and Schultz did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

Sandusky has repeatedly denied the allegations against him. The defense portrayed him as the hapless victim of a conspiracy to convict him of heinous crimes. They explain the 48 charges against him as the result of an investigatory team out for blood and accusers who willingly played along in hopes of securing a big payday.

Even if he had been acquitted, Sandusky could face additional criminal charges involving accusers who came forward after his November arrest.

The attorney general’s office has said repeatedly that it has an “active and ongoing” investigation of Sandusky, while federal prosecutors in Harrisburg issued a wide-ranging subpoena in February for university computer records and other information.

Civil lawsuits also are likely against Sandusky, his Second Mile charity and Penn State.

No sentencing date was set, but the judge scheduled an August 13th pre-sentencing hearing. His lawyers plan to ask on Monday that he be granted house arrest.

“The sentence that Jerry will receive will be a life sentence,” said Amendola.

Don't ask, don't tell, now there is perverted marriage's openly in the Legion's.

Media/movie's for years has peddled it as normal and just okay.

Results ?

The enemy aliens who own media have blood on their hands for so much of our agony of our Nation destroyed with contrived war's that hurt US since 1914. Perversion and corruption go with regime's not Nation's.

1913 Dec. 24, that was the date spelled the end of US IMO.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ant-Not-Guilty-Child-Sex-Abuse-160280395.html

Sandusky Defiant: I'm Innocent!
Lawyer who visited him on Monday says Jerry Sandusky wants "people to know that he's not guilty."
Monday, Jun 25, 2012 | Updated 3:42 PM

A lawyer for Jerry Sandusky says the retired Penn State assistant football coach wants "people to know that he's not guilty.''

Sandusky was convicted Friday of 45 counts for sexually abusing 10 boys over 15 years.

Karl Rominger, who represents Sandusky along with Joe Amendola, says he visited the 68-year-old convict at the Centre County jail Monday.

Rominger says Sandusky's mood is defiant.

He says Sandusky is being kept away from other inmates and has not been able to see his family pending a psychological evaluation.

Rominger says that Sandusky is still under observation but that his client is not suicidal. The attorney says Sandusky wants the examination to take place so that he can start receiving visits from his family.

Hey ! Hollywood when is your new movie being made defending the assault on boys and young men as natural ?

You dirty regime Hollywood media bastards, every one of you should be deported or sent to be with Sandusky.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...Emails-About-Sandusky-in-2001--160928035.html

CNN: PSU Officials Sent Emails About Sandusky in 2001
A new CNN report showing alleged secret emails between Penn State officials suggests major new revelations regarding how much they knew about Jerry Sandusky’s child sex abuse.
By David Chang | Saturday, Jun 30, 2012 | Updated 12:51 AM

psu_men.jpg

CNN reports they received four emails between Penn State President Graham Spanier, Vice President Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley discussing the 2001 shower incident a little more than two weeks after Mike McQueary reported it.

A new CNN report showing alleged secret emails between Penn State officials suggests major new revelations regarding how they responded to allegations of Jerry Sandusky’s child sex abuse.

During Friday night’s episode of Anderson 360, CNN’s Susan Candiotti claimed the network received four email exchanges between Penn State President Graham Spanier, Vice President Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley.
The alleged emails discuss the 2001 shower incident in which former assistant coach Mike McQueary claimed to have seen Sandusky raping a 10-year-old boy in a campus locker room.

CNN states the first email was made on February 26, 2001, 16 days after McQueary reported to Joe Paterno about the locker room incident.

CNN reports that in the email, Schultz messaged Curley about a plan to speak with Sandusky and contact his 2nd Mile Organization as well as the Department of Welfare, an agency which investigates suspected abuse.

CNN states Curley allegedly sent an email to Penn State President Spanier the next night claiming he wanted to talk things over with Sandusky and work with him before contacting child welfare. The CNN report also states Curley wrote the following exchange, indicating he spoke with Coach Joe Paterno about the incident:

After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps. I am having trouble with going to everyone, but the person involved. I would be more comfortable meeting with the person…tell him about the information we received…tell him we are aware of the first situation.

CNN reports “the first situation” was another shower incident between Sandusky and a boy back in 1998, which Sandusky was not charged for at the time.

CNN states Curley wrote in the email that he planned to tell Sandusky there was “a problem” and offer “professional help.” Curley also allegedly wrote he planned to “work with” Sandusky if he was cooperative and inform the Second Mile and child welfare if he was not.

CNN then states President Spanier responded two hours later, writing the following:

I am supportive. The only downside for us is if the message isn’t “heard” and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it. But that can be assessed down the road.

CNN then says Schultz sent an alleged email to President Spanier and Curley the next day, stating they would inform Second Mile with or without Sandusky’s cooperation. He also allegedly stated however they would “play it by ear to decide about the other organization.”

Prosecutors say Penn State never reported the incident to any outside agencies however. Sandusky went on to sexually abuse at least four other boys after the 2001 shower incident.

CNN has not revealed how they obtained the alleged emails.

Both Curley and Schultz were indicted by the grand jury for perjury and failing to report possible abuse. They were both suspended from their positions following the indictment.

CNN reports President Spanier’s lawyers did not return their calls for comment on the alleged emails. Lawyers for Curley and Schultz sent the following statement to CNN however:

As Governor Tom Corbett stated, if we were going to do this case, we had to have the best possible case to go against somebody like Mr. Sandusky who was…loved by everybody…carried out of the football stadium on the shoulders of his football team…For Curley, Schultz, Spanier and Paterno, the responsible and ‘humane’ thing to do was, like Governor Corbett, to carefully and responsibly assess the best way to handle vague, but troubling allegations. Faced with tough situations, good people try to do their best to make the right decisions.

A spokesman for Joe Paterno’s family also responded to the report, according to CNN, claiming that neither he nor the family have seen any emails. He also stated Paterno never communicated by email and told CNN “everyone wants the truth and Joe always told the truth.”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/06/30/report-ex-psu-president-okd-not-reporting-abuse/

Report: Ex-PSU President OK’d Not Reporting Abuse
June 30, 2012 5:34 PM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Emails show Penn State’s former president Graham Spanier agreed not to take allegations of sex abuse against ex-assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky to authorities but worried university officials would be “vulnerable” for failing to report it, a news organization has reported.

CNN says the emails, first obtained by and reported on by NBC, followed a graduate assistant’s 2001 report of seeing Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in a team locker room shower.

The emails show athletic director Tim Curley and retired vice president Gary Schultz intended to report the allegation, then reconsidered. Spanier responded that he was “supportive” of their plan, but he worried they might “become vulnerable for not having reported it.”

Sandusky was convicted this month of 45 counts of sexually abusing 10 boys. The scandal led to the ouster of Spanier and revered coach Joe Paterno and charges against Curley and Schultz, who are accused of perjury for their grand jury testimony and failing to properly report suspected child abuse. Spanier hasn’t been charged.

The CNN report cites an email from Schultz to Curley on Feb. 26, 2001, 16 days after graduate assistant Mike McQueary told veteran coach Joe Paterno about the shower assault. Schultz suggests bringing the allegation to the attention of Sandusky,Sandusky’s charity and the Department of Welfare, which investigates suspected child abuse, according to the report.

But the next night, Curley sent an email to Spanier, saying that after thinking about it more and talking to Paterno, he was “uncomfortable” with that plan and wanted to work with Sandusky before contacting authorities, the report said.

If Sandusky is cooperative, Curley’s email said, “we would work with him. …. If not, we do not have a choice and will inform the two groups,” according to the report.

Spanier wrote back and agreed with that approach, calling it “humane and a reasonable way to proceed,” according to the report. But he also worried about the consequences.

“The only downside for us is if message isn’t ‘heard’ and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it, but that can be assessed down the road,” the email said, according to CNN.

Spanier’s attorney didn’t immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment Saturday.

Schultz and Curley’s lawyers on Saturday echoed recent comments by Gov. Tom Corbett about the need for a solid case before charging Sandusky. Corbett began the investigation in 2009 when he was attorney general.

“For Curley, Schultz, Spanier and Paterno, the responsible and ‘humane’ thing to do was, like Governor Corbett, to carefully and responsibly assess the best way to handle vague, but troubling allegations,” the lawyers said. “Faced with tough situations, good people try to do their best to make the right decisions.”

Paterno, ousted by the school’s board of trustees for what was called his “failure of leadership” surrounding allegations against Sandusky, died of lung cancer in January. After Sandusky’s arrest, Paterno said through a spokesman that he reported the allegation to the head of his department and “that was the last time the matter was brought to my attention until this investigation and I assumed that the men I referred it to handled the matter appropriately.”

Schultz, 62, and Curley, 58, deny the allegations and have asked a judge to dismiss the charges. A status conference for their case is scheduled for July 11.

Spanier sued Penn State in May to try to get copies of his email traffic from 1998 to 2004, citing the pending investigation being conducted on the university by former FBI director Louis Freeh. Two weeks ago, lawyers for Penn State asked a judge to throw out the lawsuit and said the attorney general’s office, which is prosecuting Curley and Schultz, had asked them not to provide Spanier with the emails.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-paterno-did-not-cover-up-for-jerry-sandusky/

Family Releases Statement: ‘Paterno Did Not Cover Up For Jerry Sandusky’
July 10, 2012 11:47 PM
By Todd Quinones

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (CBS) - The Freeh report is expected to go a long way in defining Joe Paterno’s legacy. So much so Paterno’s family issued a statement Tuesday night in advance of the report’s release Thursday morning.

Paterno’s family contends Jerry Sandusky was a master deceiver who fooled, among other, coaches and Penn State board members.
They argue coach Paterno was neither a saint nor a villain.

The family says Paterno is the only person who publicly acknowledged that, with the benefit of hindsight, he wished he had done more.

The statement goes on to say “Joe Paterno did not cover up for Jerry Sandusky. Joe Paterno did not know that Jerry Sandusky was a pedophile. Joe Paterno did not act in any way to prevent a proper investigation of Jerry Sandusky.”

All of this comes as former Penn State president Graham Spainer says he was never informed that Sandusky was allegedly spotted molesting a boy in a school shower.

Spainer’s lawyers are rebutting reports that indicate the deposed official could have tried to cover up the abuse that ultimately led to Sandusky’s conviction last month.

The lawyers say, “At no time in the more than 16 years of his presidency at Penn State was Dr. Spanier told of an incident involving Jerry Sandusky that described child abuse, sexual misconduct or criminality of any kind.”

The report, which could be about 100 pages or so, is expected to be released on Thursday morning at nine. Investigators will hold a press conference about an hour later.

Read The Full Statement From The Paterno Family Below…

“Over the last nine months Joe Paterno has been praised by some in near saintly terms and criticized by others as a villain. He was neither.

As the people who worked closely with Joe know, he was tough, aggressive, opinionated and demanding. He was also highly principled, uncompromisingly ethical, dedicated to his job at Penn State and committed to excellence.

When the Sandusky case exploded last fall, Joe’s first instincts were to tell everything he knew. He assumed the University would want to hear from him, but he was never given the chance to present his case.

He planned to hold a press conference, but University officials ordered him to cancel it. And then the various investigations started and the legal process took over. On top of everything else, Joe was diagnosed with lung cancer. Two months later he was gone. The end result is his story has never fully been told.

As this situation unfolded, Joe cautioned everyone not to jump to conclusions. He believed that a rush to judgment and a disregard for due process would ultimately result in conclusions that would not stand the test of time. To be clear, he did not fear the truth, he sought it. As much as anyone he wanted to know exactly what Jerry Sandusky had done and he wanted to understand how it happened.

The hiring of the Freeh Group is the single most important action the Board of Trustees has taken. Joe supported this decision with the hope that it would result in a thorough, balanced and thoughtful assessment of the Sandusky tragedy. Unfortunately, recent events have raised questions about the fairness and confidentiality of the investigative process.

Over the last several weeks there has been a virtual torrent of leaks about the Freeh Group’s work. To be clear, we do not know the source, or sources, of the leaks. What cannot be disputed, however, is that select emails intended to smear Joe Paterno and other former Penn State officials have been released. Testimony from witnesses highly critical of Joe has been revealed. And purported conclusions condemning the culture of the football program have been widely disseminated. The Board promised a fair, transparent and impartial process. These developments are a threat to their stated objectives.

When these leaks first started we appealed to the Freeh Group, the Board and the Attorney General to condemn the leaks and caution the public that it would be wrong to reach any conclusions from selectively released materials. We then asked that all emails and other documents be released so a full picture of their research could be understood.

As purported conclusions started leaking out, we followed up with the Freeh Group to ask for the right to respond. Since Joe Paterno never had an opportunity to present his case, we believe we should have a reasonable time to review their findings and offer information that could help complete the picture. We were told we could offer responses to the publicly reported allegations, but the Freeh Group declined to confirm that these allegations are in the final report. It is our firm belief that the report would be stronger and more credible if we were simply given a chance to review the findings concerning Joe Paterno in order to present the case he was never allowed to make.

Since the outcome of this process appears set in stone, we have no choice but to wait for the report and respond as best we can. Given that the report is estimated to be between 100-150 pages it will understandably take us some time to study it and prepare a comprehensive response.

In advance of the release of the report, there are a few facts we want on the record:

· We would still welcome a chance to meet with the Freeh Group to review the findings and offer a response. We do not seek or expect the right to edit the report; but we believe our voice should be reflected in its conclusions.

· To this point, Joe Paterno is the only person who publicly acknowledged that with the benefit of hindsight he wished he had done more. This was an honest and courageous admission that a true leader must assume a measure of responsibility when something goes wrong on his watch.

· The sad and frightening fact is Jerry Sandusky was a master deceiver. He fooled players, coaches, law enforcement officials, child service professionals, Penn State Board members, University leaders, neighbors, donors, staff and supporters of Second Mile and his family.

· With respect to the email from Tim Curley which stated, “After giving it more thought, and talking it over with Joe yesterday – I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps,” the media spin that this is proof of some sort of cover up is completely false. When the facts come out, it will be clear that Joe Paterno never gave Tim Curley any instructions to protect Sandusky or limit any investigation of his actions.

· Joe Paterno did not cover up for Jerry Sandusky. :rolleyes: Joe Paterno did not know that Jerry Sandusky was a pedophile. :rolleyes: Joe Paterno did not act in any way to prevent a proper investigation of Jerry Sandusky. :rolleyes: To claim otherwise is a distortion of the truth. :rolleyes:

If he were with us today, we are certain Joe Paterno would say that he wished he had done any number of things differently. We also believe he would make it clear that he was not an investigator, law enforcement officer, child services professional or a member of the Board of Trustees. Joe would accept his responsibility, but he would expect others to step forward as well.”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...t-issues-statement-related-to-paterno-statue/

Joe Paterno Statue Taken Down
July 22, 2012 7:56 AM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) – The famed statue of Joe Paterno was taken down from outside the Penn State football stadium Sunday, eliminating a key piece of the iconography surrounding the once-sainted football coach accused of burying child sex abuse allegations against a retired assistant.

Workers lifted the 7-foot-tall statue off its base and used a forklift to move it into Beaver Stadium as the 100 to 150 students watching chanted, “We are Penn State.”

The university announced earlier Sunday that it was taking down the monument in the wake of an investigative report that found the late coach and three other top Penn State administrators concealed sex abuse claims against retired assistant coach Jerry Sandusky.

Meanwhile, the NCAA said that that it would levy “corrective and punitive measures” against Penn State in the wake of the child sex-abuse scandal involving former football assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. The organization announced Sunday that it would spell out the sanctions on Monday but disclosed no details.

NCAA President Mark Emmert hasn’t ruled out the possibility of shutting down the Penn State football program in the wake of the scandal, adding that he had “never seen anything as egregious.”

The statue, weighing more than 900 pounds, was built in 2001 in honor of Paterno’s record-setting 324th Division I coaching victory and his “contributions to the university.”

A spokeswoman for the Paterno family didn’t immediately return phone and email messages. Sue Paterno and two of the Paternos’ children visited the statue Friday as students and fans lined up to get their pictures taken with the landmark.

Construction vehicles and police arrived shortly after dawn Sunday, barricading the street and sidewalks near the statue, erecting a chain-link fence then concealing the statue with a blue tarp.

Penn State President Rod Erickson said he decided to have the statue removed and put into storage because it “has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing.”

“I believe that, were it to remain, the statue will be a recurring wound to the multitude of individuals across the nation and beyond who have been the victims of child abuse,” Erickson said in a statement released at 7 a.m. Sunday.

He said Paterno’s name will remain on the campus library because it “symbolizes the substantial and lasting contributions to the academic life and educational excellence that the Paterno family has made to Penn State University.”

The statue’s sculptor, Angelo Di Maria, said it was upsetting to hear that the statue had been taken down.

“It’s like a whole part of me is coming down. It’s just an incredibly emotional process,” Di Maria said.

“When things quiet down, if they do quiet down, I hope they don’t remove it permanently or destroy it,” he said. “His legacy should not be completely obliterated and thrown out. … He was a good man. It wasn’t that he was an evil person. He made a mistake.”

The bronze sculpture has been a rallying point for students and alumni outraged over Paterno’s firing four days after Sandusky’s Nov. 5 arrest – and grief-stricken over the Hall of Fame coach’s Jan. 22 death at age 85.

But it turned into a target for critics after a report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh alleged a cover-up by Paterno, ousted President Graham Spanier and two Penn State officials, Athletic Director Tim Curley and Vice President Gary Schultz. Their failure to report Sandusky to child-welfare authorities in 2001 allowed him to continue molesting boys, the report found.

Paterno’s family, along with attorneys for Spanier, Curley and Schultz, vehemently deny any suggestion they protected a pedophile. Curley and Schultz await trial on charges of failing to report child abuse and lying to a grand jury but maintain their innocence. Spanier hasn’t been charged. Sandusky was convicted last month of 45 counts of sexual abuse of 10 boys.

Some newspaper columnists and former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden have said the statue should be taken down, while a small plane pulled a banner over State College reading, “Take the statue down or we will.”

But Paterno still has plenty of fans, and Penn State’s decision to remove the monument won’t sit well with them. One student had even vowed to “chain myself to that statue” if there was an attempt to remove it, but there was no attempt to stop the work Sunday.

University officials had called the issue a sensitive one in light of Paterno’s enormous contributions to the school over a 61-year coaching career. The Paterno family is well-known in the community for philanthropic efforts, including the millions of dollars they’ve donated to the university to help build a library and fund endowments and scholarships.

The famed statue of Joe Paterno was taken down from outside the Penn State football stadium Sunday, eliminating a key piece of the iconography surrounding the once-sainted football coach accused of burying child sex abuse allegations against a retired assistant.

Sports, Niggers, & Homos all go hand in hand.

Worship one, you might as well worship them all; enable one, empower them all.

Perhaps the best use for the statute is to drop it in the ocean where it belongs--after handcuffing as many pedophiles to it as possible.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/07/26/victim-2-comes-forward-plans-to-sue-university/

Victim #2 Comes Forward, Plans To Sue Penn State University
July 26, 2012 4:00 PM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) – HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — For months, the identity of the boy who was sexually assaulted in the locker-room showers by Jerry Sandusky was one of the biggest mysteries of the Penn State scandal. Now, for the first time, a man has come forward publicly to claim he was that boy, and is threatening to sue the university.

The man’s lawyers said Thursday they have done an extensive investigation and gathered “overwhelming evidence” on details of the abuse by Sandusky, the former assistant football coach convicted of using his position at Penn State and as head of a youth charity to molest boys over a period of 15 years.

Jurors convicted Sandusky last month of offenses related to so-called Victim 2 largely on the testimony of Mike McQueary, who was a team graduate assistant at the time and described seeing the attack.

“Our client has to live the rest of his life not only dealing with the effects of Sandusky’s childhood sexual abuse, but also with the knowledge that many powerful adults, including those at the highest levels of Penn State, put their own interests and the interests of a child predator above their legal obligations to protect him,” the lawyers said in a news release.

They did not name their client, and The Associated Press generally does not identify victims of sex crimes without their consent.

The university said it was taking the case seriously but would not comment on pending litigation.

University President Rodney Erickson and the board of trustees, a school spokesman said, “have publicly emphasized that their goal is to find solutions that rest on the principle of justice for the victims.”

The statement from the man’s attorneys said Victim 2 suffered “extensive sexual abuse over many years both before and after the 2001 incident Michael McQueary witnessed.”

McQueary testified in December at a hearing that he had seen Sandusky and a boy, both naked, in a team shower after hearing skin-on-skin slapping sounds.

“I would have described that it was extremely sexual and I thought that some kind of intercourse was going on,” McQueary said.

McQueary reported the abuse to school officials, including Paterno, but none of them told police. In a recent report conducted by former FBI Director Louis Freeh and commissioned by Penn State, the investigators excoriated Paterno and the other administrators for not attempting to identify Victim 2, saying it showed “a striking lack of empathy.”

Trustees fired Paterno, who has since died, because he failed to do more about claims against Sandusky, and the scathing independent review said several top school officials looked the other way because they were afraid of bad publicity. The NCAA has vacated 112 Penn State wins.

In a pair of voicemails recorded last year, released with the statement and posted online by the lawyers, a voice that’s purportedly Sandusky’s expresses his love and says he wants to express his feelings “up front.”

The voicemails are dated Sept. 12 and Sept. 19, less than two months before the former Penn State coach was arrested on child sex abuse charges. Sandusky was convicted in June of 45 sex abuse counts and awaits sentencing.

The second voicemail asks whether Victim 2 would like to attend Penn State’s next game.

Sandusky left “numerous” voicemails for their client that fall, the attorneys said.

Before the trial, defense attorney Joe Amendola said he had met with a man he believed he might be Victim 2 and the man told him he had not been abused by Sandusky. Amendola said he was not convinced and did not intend to subpoena him, but also said Sandusky himself was insistent they had the right person.

The statement from Victim 2′s lawyers leaves many questions unanswered, including whether he had been in contact with prosecutors before or during the trial, whether he remembers McQueary, and whether he is the same person who met with Amendola.

“Jerry Sandusky’s abuse of Victim 2 and other children is a direct result of a conspiracy to conceal Sandusky’s conduct and the decisions by top Penn State officials that facilitated and enabled his access to victims,” the statement read. “We intend to file a civil lawsuit against Penn State University and others and to hold them accountable for the egregious and reckless conduct that facilitated the horrific abuse our client suffered.”

The statement did not say when the lawsuit would be filed or contain details on what redress the plaintiff is seeking. The lawyers said they would not have further comment, and messages left for their spokesman were not immediately returned.

Several messages seeking comment from Amendola and Sandusky’s other lawyer, Karl Rominger, were not immediately returned.

Prosecutors had said on several occasions they did not know the identity of the boy, and they offered no reaction to the lawyers’ announcement Thursday.

“We can’t comment, given both our ongoing criminal prosecutions and our ongoing investigation,” said Nils Frederiksen, spokesman for the attorney general’s office.

The attorneys who released the statement include several based in Philadelphia and in State College, home to Penn State’s main campus — where the shower assault took place.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...into-whether-sandusky-was-sharing-child-porn/

Investigation Launched Into Whether Sandusky Was Sharing Child Porn
August 10, 2012 3:49 PM

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (CBS) – CBS News is reporting that U.S. Postal inspectors are investigating whether disgraced former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky was part of a child pornography ring.

Investigators seized a computer from Sandusky at the beginning of the year and have since been looking into the possibility that the coach was sharing child porn with others. They are also investigating whether Sandusky sent “seductive letters” across state lines for sexual purposes.

The investigation, which was launched in early 2012, involves both the U.S. Postal Inspectors office in Harrisburg and the U.S. Attorney Office of the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

Sandusky, who was arrested last November on allegations of child sexual abuse, was convicted in June of 45 counts of child sex abuse.

Back