Unhinged hospital greeter, 27, slapped with several charges — including attempted murder — in Queens stabbing spree

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Unhinged hospital greeter, 27, slapped with several charges — including attempted murder — in Queens stabbing spree​

By
Social Links for Melissa Koenig

Published Jan. 18, 2024

Updated Jan. 18, 2024, 8:31 a.m. ET

The suspect in the stabbing spree across Queens has been slapped with attempted murder and assault charges for the five violent attacks.
Jermain Rigueur — who reportedly laughed in one victim’s face after slashing them — was charged late Wednesday with three counts of attempted murder, four counts of assault, one count of attempted assault, and criminal possession of a weapon, the NYPD said.
Rigueur, a 27-year-old greeter at Woodhull Hospital in Brooklyn, was nabbed Wednesday night after a frantic NYPD manhunt.
Jermain Rigueur faces several charges in the stabbing spree, including attempted murder. 5
Jermain Rigueur faces several charges in the stabbing spree, including attempted murder.

Cops say Jermain Rigueur is the man responsible for a Queens stabbing spree over the last two weeks. 5
Cops say Jermain Rigueur is the man responsible for a Queens stabbing spree over the last two weeks. DCPI
Serial stabbings NYC 5
The suspect is accused of injuring five people during his alleged spree.
Surveillance video NYC serial stabbing 5
Surveillance video shows the victim of a random stabbing inside a dry cleaner on Guy R. Brewer Blvd. in Jamaica, Queens, early Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024.
The string of random attacks began on Jan. 8 when a 61-year-old grandfather was knifed in the back as he walked to the laundromat that evening.

After the alleged perp stabbed him from behind, he turned and smiled at him as he walked away, the victim told The Post.

Then this week, 34-year-old Shaneka Anderson was stabbed as she walked home just after midnight Tuesday from her job with TSA at LaGuardia Airport.

NYPD 5
NYPD on the scene of one of the stabbings Wednesday. Gregory P. Mango
The next three victims were each knifed Wednesday morning, leading cops to alert the media as they began their search for the assailant.

The NYPD sounded the alarm at a press conference the same day and blasted out images of the suspect before they took Rigueur into custody that night.

“We have an unidentified individual who is walking around the street randomly stabbing people with a hunting knife,” NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell warned earlier Wednesday.

Police Commissioner Edward Caban called the suspect “armed and dangerous.”

On top of the five slashings, police are probing whether Rigueur is the same suspect who attacked a man on a Brooklyn subway platform Wednesday.

Suspect in NYC stabbings eerily smiled at first victim after random attack: ‘Turned to look at me’​

By
Social Links for Georgett Roberts and
Social Links for David Propper

Published Jan. 17, 2024, 11:33 p.m. ET

A maniac accused of randomly stabbing multiple people with a hunting knife in Queens flashed a menacing grin at his first victim after slashing him in the back earlier this month, the man told The Post on Wednesday.

The 61-year-old grandfather said he was on his way to the laundromat on Jan. 8 when he was allegedly attacked by 27-year-old Jermain Rigueur.

The victim initially thought the deranged stranger had simply punched him until he felt the blood “dripping down his pants.”

“I felt the weight but I thought he had punched me hard in my back,” recalled the victim, who did want to be identified.“After he stabbed me he passed, turned to look at me and smiled.”

The man was the first of at least five victims in Queens terrorized during the stabbing spree over the past two weeks, police said.

A suspect in the case was taken into custody Wednesday after a manhunt by the NYPD.

The victims, who police say were stabbed with a hunting knife, all survived their wounds following the attacks. Authorities are also looking into whether Rigueur also assaulted a victim in Brooklyn.

The suspect in Queens stabbing spree. 3
The suspect in Queens stabbing spree.
Two people were stabbed near the intersection of Guy R. Brewer Boulevard and 134th Avenue. 3
Two people were stabbed near the intersection of Guy R. Brewer Boulevard and 134th Avenue. Paul Martinka
The victim was walking on 137th Avenue in Springfield Gardens when he “felt the presence of an individual” walking behind him. When he reached the corner of 157th Street and 137th Avenue, he crossed the street.

“As I was crossing I saw two shadows. I saw another shadow behind me,” the victim explained. “It appeared the person was walking fast because his shadow was close. I moved further to my left-hand side. I didn’t turn to see who it was.

“I just wanted to get out of the way for him to pass and so I moved to the left further to the edge.”

The assailant ran toward the victim’s back as he crossed at the intersection and stabbed him, though the man didn’t know right away he had been knifed.

Locations of the reported stabbings across Queens. NY Post composite
The victim then saw a bystander and asked if he saw the person who just punched him — then he felt the blood.

“Then I felt a warmness dripping down in my pants,” the victim recalled. “I asked the man on the phone to pull my clothes up. He said, ‘Oh wow, you got a big wound on your back and you are bleeding. I gotta call 911.’”

Police quickly responded and kept pressure on the wound before medics arrived and brought him to the hospital. He has since made a quick recovery and can play with his granddaughter again.

The first victim was stabbed on Jan 8., and then this week four more victims were targeted by the same suspect, according to authorities.

Another victim, Shaneka Anderson, 34, said she was walking home from work just after midnight Tuesday when the fiend also snuck up behind her. Rigueur allegedly stabbed her and then ran off, leaving in her in shock and wheezing.

The same assailant then stabbed another three victims Wednesday morning, police said.

“It’s a terrible thing that we have people like that that can walk around and stab you,” the first victim said Wednesday. “It should not be like that. Suppose he had stabbed me like that and I just died? It’s all on my family. My family depends on me a lot.”

Still, he stressed he has “no malicious feeling” toward the stabber, describing him as a “sick person. When he heard police had someone in custody, he said, “I’m glad he is off the streets and can no longer hurt anybody else.”

“I forgive him already,” he said.

Second stabber busted during manhunt for NYC serial slasher​

By
Social Links for Jorge Fitz-Gibbon ,
Social Links for Joe Marino and
Social Links for Steven Vago

Published Jan. 18, 2024

Updated Jan. 18, 2024, 7:35 p.m. ET

A career criminal was busted in a pair of subway slashings in Manhattan and the Bronx just hours after police ended a citywide manhunt for a serial stabber.
Mark Ford, 27, was arrested at the Bedford Park station in the Bronx on Thursday morning, NYPD officials said at a briefing.
He was slapped with charges of assault and criminal possession of a weapon, according to police.
The suspected stabber is “well-known” to cops, with multiple arrests on his rap sheet — with five in the past year, including assault and sex crime charges, NYPD Transit Bureau Chief Michael Kemper told reporters.
The Bronx resident has been arrested a total of 21 times, cops said Thursday evening – including five felonies. He has been cuffed for assaults, petty larceny and criminal possession of weapons, according to cops.
In the first transit assault, the creep stabbed a 42-year-old man in the right shoulder around 6 a.m. Wednesday while on a Manhattan D train at 59th Street and Columbus Circle, Kemper said.
Around 7:30 a.m., a 19-year-old man in the arm aboard a 2 train at East 174th Street in the Bronx, Kemper said.
“Quickly after both these incidents occurred we learned and we realized that they were linked and they were connected, and the same individual was responsible for both,” the chief said.
Subway slasher stabbed two straphangers: NYPD 3
Police said a 27-year-old career criminal stabbed two straphangers in unprovoked attacks less than two hours apart. Christopher Sadowski
NYPD Transit Bureau Chief Michael Kemper. 3
NYPD Transit Bureau Chief Michael Kemper said cops nabbed a suspect in two random subway attacks.
At 7:20 a.m. Thursday, cops who were deployed to the Bedford Park station in the Bronx heard a “commotion” on the southbound platform and ran to the scene, Kemper said.
“As they were approaching the platform they saw a male run away from them,” he said. “They chased this male through the station, successfully apprehended him, put him in custody and it’s the individual responsible for the two stabbings yesterday.
“He’s wearing the same clothing and it should be known that he was in possession of two knives.”
Straphanger stabbing in Manhattan. 3
Police said the first of two random attacks was at 6 a.m. Wednesday at the 59th Street/Columbus Circle station. Christopher Sadowski

The two subway attacks came as police were in the midst of a manhunt for a serial stabber sought for a series of random attacks in Queens and Brooklyn — including at least four in the past week.

Jermaine Rigueur was arrested Wednesday night and charged with those incidents.

Back