Police identify man stabbed and struck by a car in South Philly parking lot under I-95

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Police identify man stabbed and struck by a car in South Philly parking lot under I-95​

philadelphia
By Jessica MacAulay, Ross DiMattei, Alex Torres, Ben Payne

Updated on: April 9, 2024 / 9:58 AM EDT / CBS Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- A 22-year-old man is dead after he was stabbed in the neck and then struck by a white Kia in South Philadelphia Monday night, according to police.

Philadelphia police said the stabbing and collision happened after 7:30 p.m. in a parking lot underneath I-95 at Front and Morris streets in South Philadelphia.

Two men were involved in a fight before the killing, according to police. At some point, the victim was knocked to the ground and then the other man walked over to the Kia, got in and ran over the victim.

Police later identified the victim as Mang Sang.

They don't know how the fight started but were investigating security camera footage in the area and speaking to eyewitnesses.

"Not only is he obviously run over by the vehicle, because the vehicle is still on top of the body, but according to medics, this victim had a large laceration to his neck. And since we found a folding knife on the scene, we believe that this victim may have been stabbed and run over," Philadelphia police Chief Inspector Scott Small said at the scene.

The driver left the car and ran from the scene. Medics said Sang died just before 7:50 p.m.

Investigators said no arrests were made, but a four-inch folding knife was found at the scene. Police were not sure whether the stabbing or the collision happened first.

The Kia used in the crime belonged to the victim's family. It has a Pennsylvania license plate that reads LNT-8209.

Back