NYC Amazon worker, 23, needs 110 stitches after unprovoked slashing: ‘He just wanted to cut me’

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

NYC Amazon worker, 23, needs 110 stitches after unprovoked slashing: ‘He just wanted to cut me’​

By
Social Links for Amanda Woods

Published Feb. 9, 2024, 7:31 p.m. ET

A stranger slashed an on-duty Amazon worker — leaving him with a 6-inch gash that required 110 stitches — in an unprovoked Bronx attack late last month, according to cops and a new report.

William Herrera, 23, was walking back to his work van after delivering packages on Valentine Avenue near East 203rd Street in Bedford Park around 3 p.m. Jan. 24 when the menace approached and slashed him without warning, according to the NYPD and a WNBC report.

Surveillance footage obtained by the network shows Herrera standing with his back turned — facing his white van — when a man wearing all black and a ski mask suddenly walks up to him and slices his face.

William Herrera, the Amazon driver slashed in the face in unprovoked Bronx attack. 5
Amazon driver William Herrera was returning to his van after making a delivery when he was randomly attacked. NBC 4
Herrera's 6-inch long gash required 110 stitches. 5
Herrera’s 6-inch-long gash required 110 stitches. NBC 4
The worker instinctively runs away to avoid his attacker, the clip shows.

Herrera, a dad of a toddler with another little one on the way, told the network that it seems the suspect simply wanted to do harm — because he didn’t try to rob him, though the opportunity was there.

“My van was completely open. He could have took the whole van if he wanted to,” he said.

“He didn’t take nothing. He just wanted to cut me, I guess.”

Herrera was bleeding profusely when he flagged down a cop and waited for an ambulance to arrive, the outlet reported.

William Herrera, 23, seen with pregnant wife Lauren Soriano and 2-year-old son Liam. 5
Herrera is the father of 2-year-old Liam, with another baby on the way. NBC 4
Herrera was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he was treated for the cut that stretched from his lip to his ear lobe, but was listed in stable condition, cops said.

“I got to look every day in the mirror and see this on my face,” Herrera said. “I’ve never had one stitch in my entire life and the first time I got a stitch, I got 110 stitches?”

He has since returned to his Yonkers home to recover alongside his wife, Lauren Soriano, and 2-year-old son, Liam.

Amazon driver slashed in the face in unprovoked Bronx attack 5
The worker’s back was turned when the assailant slashed him across the face. NBC 4
The attacker, seen wearing all black, had not been caught by Friday. 5
The attacker, seen wearing all black, had not been caught by Friday. NBC 4
Liam knows his dad was hurt, but the young couple has been reassuring him that everything will be OK, Soriano told WNBC.

“He just knows like, ‘Dada has a boo-boo on his face. He has a cut on his face,” she said. “We just keep saying, ‘Dad’s OK. He’s strong. We’re gonna make it.’”

No arrests had been made by Friday, the NYPD said.

Back