Nigger wanted for sexual assault near Penn, Drexel, police say

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Man wanted for sexual assault near Penn, Drexel, police say​

philadelphia
By Alicia Roberts, Wakisha Bailey

May 3, 2023 / 7:14 AM / CBS Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- A frightening attack near the campuses of Drexel and Penn. Police need your help to find a man wanted for a sexual assault.

Students at both Penn and Drexel are on alert on Tuesday night.

The attack happened early Tuesday morning on the 3800 block of Chestnut Street in University City.

The Philadelphia Police Department's Special Victims Unit wouldn't give many details about what happened or say if the victim was a student, but they are asking anyone with information to come forward.

"At night walking alone it can feel scary," Leah Mizrachi, a Penn student, said

"I would say Chestnut, Spruce and Walnut, I wouldn't feel safe walking past 11 p.m. If I'm walking back late, I would tend to stick to Locust because I feel like there are a lot of students walking and I feel like people are out and about and it's well lit," Emma Bhansingh, a Penn student, said.

Police say the man is 6-foot, approximately 20-30 years of age with short dark hair. He was wearing a dark hooded shirt, blue denim pants and peach sneakers. He was also armed with a knife, which police found at the scene.

"There's a lot of creeps around," Shobi Wise, a resident, said.

Many students and residents who live on or near the University City campuses say safety is a daily concern.

"There have been instances where I haven't felt safe at all. There have been men, they'll either approach me or call out to me," Wise said.

Wise said she's not surprised by what happened.

"Personally I try not to go out after sunset but when I do I bring around pepper spray, I have it with me right now," Wise said.

Wise is hoping they're able to get their suspect off the streets quickly.

Man wanted for attempted sexual assault near Penn, Drexel, police say​

philadelphia
By Alicia Roberts, Matt Petrillo, Wakisha Bailey

May 3, 2023 / 12:34 PM / CBS Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- Philadelphia police are searching for a suspect who sources say attempted to sexually assault a woman near the University of Pennsylvania campus.

The incident happened just before 2 a.m. Tuesday by the Hamilton Court apartment complex near 38th and Chestnut Streets.

Police need help identifying a man who they say approached the woman with a knife while she took out the trash at the off-campus apartments, where many Penn students live.

attempted-sexual-assault-suspect-sought-penn.jpg
Surveillance video shows a man who police say attempted to sexually assault a Penn student in University City. Police are trying to identify the man. Philadelphia police
Police say the man is 6 feet tall, approximately 20-30 years old with short dark hair. He was wearing a dark hooded shirt, blue jeans and peach-colored sneakers.

Students hope an arrest is made.

"Something needs to be done," a student said.

There is now an increased police presence in the area, and a UPenn patrol car is now stationed outside.

Since the attack, students tell us they're afraid to be by themselves outside at night.

"At night, walking alone, it can feel scary," Leah Mizrachi, a Penn student, said.

"I would say Chestnut, Spruce, and Walnut, I wouldn't feel safe walking past 11 p.m. If I'm walking back late, I would tend to stick to Locust because I feel like there are a lot of students walking and I feel like people are out and about and it's well lit," Emma Bhansingh, a Penn student, said.

"There's a lot of creeps around," Shobi Wise, a resident, said.

Many students and residents who live on or near the University City campuses say safety is a daily concern.

"There have been instances where I haven't felt safe at all. There have been men, they'll either approach me or call out to me," Wise said.

Wise said she was not surprised by what happened.

"Personally I try not to go out after sunset but when I do I bring around pepper spray. I have it with me right now," Wise said.

Wise is hoping they're able to get their suspect off the streets quickly.

Police recovered a knife at the scene of the incident. Detectives with the Special Victims Unit are urging anyone with information to call them.

Back