Disturbed NYC man who butchered relatives refused to get mental health care despite family’s pleas: kin

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Disturbed NYC man who butchered relatives refused to get mental health care despite family’s pleas: kin​

By
Social Links for Desheania Andrews and
Social Links for Isabel Keane

Published Dec. 4, 2023, 4:27 p.m. ET

A disturbed man who butchered four relatives at their Queens home refused to be admitted to mental institutions despite his family’s desperate pleas that he get help, his shell-shocked kin said Monday.
An aunt of Courtney Gordon, 38 — who was fatally shot by police Sunday after he injured two officers responding to a 911 call about his stabbing spree — said she had kicked him out of her Bronx home in February due to his increasingly concerning behavior.
“It could have been me in the morgue,” Lillian Mckoy, a sister of Gordon’s mother, told The Post.
Gordon had been visiting relatives on his father’s side in Far Rockaway when he stabbed four of them to death early on Sunday — including an 11-year-old girl, 12-year-old boy and their parents — before he lit a couch on fire and attempted to slink away, police and family said.
He also injured another another relative in the bloodbath, Christine Gordon, 63, an aunt on his dad’s side, who was hospitalized in critical condition.

00:05 04:01
Mckoy, who allowed Gordon to live with her for several years, said the first red flags she noticed were that he changed the locks on the door to her house and asked her to remove her security cameras.

rockaway attack 6
Four people from the same family were killed in the horrifying attack on Sunday. G.N.Miller/NYPost
“If you’re gonna tell me I need to move my cameras, that tells me something,” she said. “I didn’t like the demeanor. The way he looked at me. The attitude. He was not the same person I knew when he came from Jamaica.”

She and her son, Sean Mckoy, 34, both described Gordon — a father of three who recently got divorced — as being someone quick to anger, who would not take no for an answer.

“It’s just every single time, something would trigger him to go mad. He would start yelling at everybody. He would be very loud,” Sean, who was the best man at Gordon’s wedding, told The Post.

Gordon 6
Courtney Gordon’s cousin, Sean Mckoy, described him as quick to anger. J. Messerschmidt for NY Post
“My mom had to get him out of here, he was yelling at my mom. Always asking why we had cameras. Seemed like he probably wanted to do something to us,” he said.

According to his aunt, his poor attitude and stubbornness were part of the reason why he struggled to keep a job and was in and out of homeless shelters.

“The whole issue with Courtney was that you could not correct him. And that was the issue with jobs. If someone tried to correct him, he would just walk off the job,” she said. “Whatever you say, he sees it differently.”

Back