BROWN: WHITE MALE NJ Trump supporter attacked with a sledgehammer in Port Monmouth section of Middletown; Victim hit in the head multiple times

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

MIDDLETOWN

NJ Trump supporter attacked with a sledgehammer in Port Monmouth section of Middletown​

Erik Larsen Kathleen Hopkins
Asbury Park Press

April 6, 2024 @ 5 p.m.

MIDDLETOWN — A 64-year-old man from Edison was hospitalized after he was struck with a sledgehammer during an attack at Crown Tire on Route 36 in the Port Monmouth section on Friday, according to police.
Michael Gonzales, 36, of Philadelphia, was charged with attempted murder. He was detained by witnesses at the scene and taken into police custody upon their arrival, said Middletown Deputy Police Chief Paul J. Bailey.
The victim suffered “significant injuries to his head” and was taken by helicopter to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, Bailey said.
An investigation has determined that Gonzales struck the victim in the head multiple times with a hand-held sledgehammer, Bailey said.

Gonzales also pushed a female, causing her to fall and sustain injuries as well, Bailey said. She was transported by ambulance to Riverview Medical Center in Red Bank, he said.
A post on Facebook April 5 identified the victim of the sledgehammer attack as Edison native Rocky Granata, who is known to drive around New Jersey in a recreational vehicle covered with pro-Donald Trump and Make America Great Again messages.
Media reports have said the Trump RV was seen outside Crown Tire after the assault, although police have emphasized the assault was not politically motivated but a dispute among people known to each other.
A post on Granata's Facebook page April 5, apparently written by the victim's daughter, said Gonzalez "tried to murder my father today with a hammer to the head 5 times.''
The post indicated an ongoing dispute involving Gonzalez.

In a comment on another post on Granata's Facebook page related to the assault, Krystal Calise wrote, "How dare he try to murder my father. Sick kid.''
In a subsequent comment on the same post, Calise wrote, "No one throws 5 blows to the head of anyone without intention to kill. I can't believe I almost lost my father.''
Several other people posting on the matter indicated that Granata had been released form the hospital.
Gonzalez was also charged with aggravated assault, unlawful possession of a weapon, and possession of a weapon for unlawful purposes. He was held at the Monmouth County Jail in Freehold Township pending a detention hearing, Bailey said.
Contact Asbury Park Press reporter Erik Larsen at elarsen@gannettnj.com.
Police news

Back