A’s broadcaster Glen Kuiper suspended after on-air racial slur

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

A’s broadcaster Glen Kuiper suspended after on-air racial slur​

By
Katherine Donlevy

May 7, 2023 2:08am
Updated

Veteran Oakland Athletics play-by-play broadcaster Glen Kuiper was suspended from his post Saturday after apparently using the n-word on live television.
NBC Sports California said in a statement Saturday that Kuiper will remain off the air until a review of what happened during Friday night’s broadcast is completed.
Vince Cotroneo and Johnny Doskow will rotate in as play-by-play announcers during Kuiper’s absence.
The 20-season announcer apologized ahead of the sixth inning of the California team’s game against the Kansas City Royals, telling viewers his wording “didn’t come out quite the way I wanted it to.”
During the pregame coverage, Kuiper and broadcast partner Dallas Braden reflected on their “phenomenal day” in Kansas City in the lead-up to the game.
Kuiper said the duo visited the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, but appeared to replace the first word with the racially-charged slur.

Oakland A's broadcaster Glen Kuiper, seen here in 2015, apologized after using the racial slur earlier in the broadcast.Oakland A’s broadcaster Glen Kuiper, seen here in 2015, apologized after using the racial slur earlier in the broadcast.Getty Images
Shortly after the 12-8 A’s win, the organization released a statement on Twitter condemning the former minor league player’s mistake and promising to address the situation.

Bob Kendrick, the president of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum who greeted Kuiper and Braden at the institution just hours before the slip-up, condemned the incident in a statement Saturday.

“I’m aware of the unfortunate slur made by Glen Kuiper. I welcomed Glen to the NLBM yesterday and know he was genuinely excited to be here. The word is painful and has no place in our society. And while I don’t pretend to know Glen’s heart I do know that my heart is one of forgiveness. I hope all of you will find it in yourselves to do the same!” Kendrick wrote.

Kuiper (right) made the statement on air next Dallas Braden, while talking about a recent visit to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Kuiper (right) made the statement on air next Dallas Braden, while talking about a recent visit to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Twitter
Former A’s pitcher Dave Stewart agreed with Kendrick’s sentiment: “Bob it could not have been said any better. I know Glen, have worked with him over the years. I believe it was an unfortunate mistake. He, as we all deserve a second chance.”

Kuiper has been calling A’s games in the Bay Area for about 20 years. He is the younger brother of former major leaguer and Giants announcer Duane Kuiper.

Back