‘Squad’ Rep. Cori Bush under federal investigation over private security spending — after marrying one of her bodyguards: report

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

‘Squad’ Rep. Cori Bush under federal investigation over private security spending — after marrying one of her bodyguards: report​

By
Social Links for Ryan King

Published Jan. 30, 2024, 11:38 a.m. ET

Federal investigators are probing far-left Rep. Cori Bush for purportedly misspending money set aside for her personal security.

The investigation into Bush (D-Mo.), a vocal advocate of the “Defund the police” movement, was reported Tuesday by Punchbowl News after a subpoena was delivered to the office of the House sergeant at arms and announced on the floor of the chamber by the clerk Monday.

Bush, 47, was first elected to Congress in 2020 from a district that includes the entirety of St. Louis. Her spending came under scrutiny after she paid $60,000 in 2022 to her now-husband, Cortney Merritts, to provide “security services” for her.

At the same time, FEC records show, Bush’s campaign was paying more than $225,000 to a St. Louis-based firm called PEACE Security and $50,000 to another security guard named Nathaniel Davis.

Fox News Digital reported in February 2023 that Merritts was paid despite not holding a private security license as required by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department since 2012.

Cori Bush 3
Cori Bush is widely seen as one of the most progressive members of Congress. Getty Images
Cori Bush 3
Cori Bush is a member of the so-called “Squad.” Getty Images
The outlet also reported that Merritts was not licensed as a security official by the District of Columbia.

Under FEC rules, campaigns can only make payments to family members for “bona fide” services.

In October, the Board of the Office of Congressional Ethics unanimously recommended that Bush be cleared following a complaint by conservative watchdog groups.

Cori Bush 3
The Missouri Democrat has been an advocate of a cease-fire in Israel as well as a number of progressive causes. REUTERS
“The political attacks on my campaign are a clear example of how right-wing extremist groups will stop at nothing to malign those of us unapologetically working in service of our communities,” Bush proclaimed at the time.

Over her first two years in office, Bush dropped nearly $500,000 on private security while embracing the “Defund” movement.

“I’m going to make sure I have security because I know I have had attempts on my life and I have too much work to do,” Bush told CBS News in August 2021. “So, if I end up spending $200,000, if I spend … 10 more dollars on it, you know what? I get to be here to do the work.”

“So, suck it up, and defunding the police has to happen,” she added. “We need to defund the police and put that money into social safety nets because we’re trying to save lives.”

Bush is vying for a third term later this year, but faces a spirited challenge from St. Louis County prosecutor Wesley Bell.

The Justice Department declined to comment Tuesday, while a spokesperson for Bush did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Back