WM, 18, son of delusional mudshark living in Seattle's coontown shot to death while moving a car

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...nier-beach-mother-calls-for-community-action/

‘We have to do better:’ After son’s shooting death in Rainier Beach, mother calls for community action
Updated May 14, 2020 at 9:27 pm

05142020_Conner-Dassa-Holland_143808-780x975.jpg

05142020_family_201359-780x633.jpg

After a busy Mother’s Day on Sunday, Alicia Dassa had already gone to bed when her husband asked their 18-year-old son to move their car to a spot that had opened in front of their house on 51st Avenue South in Seattle’s Rainier Beach neighborhood.

She heard gunshots.

“That’s normal around here,” Dassa said of her neighborhood. “I didn’t even get out of bed.”

But then a neighbor ran into her house and told her that her son, Conner Dassa-Holland, had just been shot. Alicia Dassa raced outside in her nightshirt and saw her car stuck atop a small rock wall. Her husband, James, was holding their son and screaming her name.

“I saw Conner and I just grabbed him and was holding him,” Alicia Dassa said this week in a phone interview. “I just held him and told him it was going to be OK and that we loved him. He still had a pulse, a strong pulse, when the ambulance arrived.”

Her son didn’t make it.

Alicia and James Dassa had to break the news to 30 family members and friends who, because of the coronavirus pandemic, weren’t allowed inside Harborview Medical Center and so had gathered on a sidewalk outside the hospital.

“I got to hold him and be with him and he wasn’t alone,” said Alicia Dassa, reflecting on the last moments she had with Conner before paramedics whisked him away. “We got to be with our boy and I feel so blessed to have had that.”

On Tuesday, 300 people attended a vigil outside the family’s house. The Seattle Police Department closed the street to traffic.

Dassa, a county employee, used the event as a call to action, convinced whoever killed her son grew up without the love and support she and her husband have poured into their five children, ages 8 to 24.

“We have to do better as a community. We have to understand this is not an issue of race — it’s an issue of sadness and poverty and broken families and not enough resources and all the things that get kids on a path that turns out bad,” she said.:barf3:

Dassa is white and her husband, who works for Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery, is Black. Dassa-Holland was white, and his four siblings are mixed race. The family moved to Rainier Beach in 2011 because it is a neighborhood “where other families look like us,” Dassa said.:rolleyes:

“We really wanted the kids to grow up in an area where they’d learn from the people around us,” she said. “It didn’t just shape who we are as a family, but who the kids are as people.”

Larry Wilmore, a night supervisor at the Safeway grocery store less than 1,000 feet north of the Dassa family home, was working Sunday night when he heard three gunshots and called 911.

He didn’t learn until the next morning it was Dassa-Holland who had been killed. Last summer, Dassa-Holland worked with Wilmore at Safeway before starting his freshman year at the University of Washington.

“I was in disbelief, as I am now. Total disbelief,” said Wilmore. “I think the fact Conner wasn’t running with gangs or doing all that is why it’s super hard to believe that it happened. The whole neighborhood is in disbelief and there’s anger that it keeps happening.”

After a spike in violence 9 years ago that saw 10 people gunned down in South Seattle within a span of three to four months, seven of them in proximity to the Rainier Beach Safeway, Wilmore started Fathers And Sons Together (FAST), an organization aimed at strengthening fathers’ relationships with their children as a way to prevent youth involvement in the criminal justice system. FAST hosts basketball and baseball camps, overnight camping trips, fishing excursions, barbershop events and dad-and-daughter days for kids ages 5 and up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainier_Beach,_Seattle

Rainier Beach, Seattle

The African-American population has been slowly increasing in the neighborhood due in large part to the gentrification in other Seattle neighborhoods that has forced many Blacks to move either into the South end of the city or into the south King County suburbs. [1] Today Rainier Beach has a population of 6,006 and is roughly 55% African American, 20% Asian, 10% Caucasian, 10% Hispanic and 5% from other races. It is now one of only two neighborhoods (the other being the southern end of the Central District) in the city where Blacks make up a majority. [2] On November 25, 2014, the neighborhood became the site of several protests following the decision in Ferguson, Missouri not to indict police officer Darren Wilson over the killing of Michael Brown. [3]

Mothers demand more action against gun violence​

by Tammy Mutasa, KOMO News
Wed, July 28th 2021 at 6:41 PM
Updated Wed, July 28th 2021 at 6:45 PM
UserWay icon for accessibility widget

Mothers demand more action against gun violence

Mothers demand more action against gun violence
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon
SEATTLE— As Seattle and King County deal with a historic surge in gun violence, mothers who’ve lost their children say it's time to try something different.
They’re pushing to bring gunfire detection technology to Seattle called “shot spotter.”

The issue was talked about years ago in our city, but ultimately it went nowhere.
I’m here today because I’m tired, I’m so tired,” said Alicia Dassa, a grieving mother. “I’m tired of seeing other moms who are so sad and so angry. I’m tired of being that mom.
Their tears come from a place of exasperation, frustration and unimaginable loss.
The Mothers for Police Accountability are calling for urgent action as more people die on the streets.
Dassa knows the pain. Her teen son Conner Dassa Holland died in her arms on Mother’s Day 2020.
No one has been caught in Conner’s murder.

510b8117-f948-437c-8be1-8b846725719b-medium16x9_thumb_38987.png

Conner Dassa Holland was shot to death in Seattle on Mother's Day 2020.

“I don’t know what the answer is, I don’t know how to fix it or change it but what I do know is that that number of people being affected by the BLACK gun violence right now, is out of control,” said Dassa.
The mothers are calling out city council, saying their silence is deafening and the violence is a consequence of defunding police.
“City council, shame on you, shame on you,” said SPD African American Community Advisory Chair, Victoria Beach. “The BLACK people that are committing crimes and the shootings, they know there aren’t enough police to respond. It’s a free for all.”

A Seattle City Council spokesperson maintains that the 18% cut to SPD’s budget shouldn’t impact the number of police officers SPD was able to hire, because Council fully funded SPD's staffing plan, which meant they were able to hire the number of officers they said they needed to fulfill their patrol functions.
The coalition wants to see shot spotter technology used in hots spots (he can't say black areas) which is designed to pinpoint gunfire and alert police to gun violence.
“People BLACK shoot you in the daytime because they know they’re not going to jail, let’s be real,” said Reverend Harriett Walden co-founder of Mothers for Police Accountability.
KOMO News asked the Seattle Police Department about the program.
Officials said SPD doesn’t have a shot spotter program saying, “In this instance, the City Council, the Community Police Commission, and civil liberties groups raised concerns about the technology.”
“If they don’t know what’s occurring, they will do nothing and that’s unacceptable,” Seattle Mayoral Candidate Bruce Harrell.
Harrell has been advocating for shot spotter technology ever since he was on City Council in 2014.
He’s hoping to start a pilot project measuring the technology’s effectiveness and concerns about privacy protection
“It’s safe technology,” said Harrell. “We’ll make sure privacy needs are met, but most importantly, we’ll get accurate information as to where gunfire occurs and it requires the police department to do something.”
They all agree that on top of prevention measures and accountability, something different has to happen now.
“I’m tired of being that mom,” said Dassa.

KOMO News has been reaching out to the Seattle City Council and received a statement from Councilmember Lisa Herbold—the Public Safety Chair.
Herbold says:
"The recent uptick in BLACK gun violence in our community and being felt across our nation cannot become our new normal. Here and in other big cities across the U.S., the economic and health impacts of COVID-19 have exacerbated deep inequities in our BLACK communities, leading to a mental health crisis, a housing crisis and an economic crisis, all stressors that inflame conditions in our BLACK neighborhoods that lead to gun violence."
"I am proposing a Seattle investment in the Regional BLACK Peacekeepers Collective now, not in next year’s budget, to address the steep rise in BLACK GANGSTA gun violence using a public health approach of:
  • Rigorous intervention for those directly involved
  • Secondary prevention for younger siblings
  • Follow-up care and support for family restoration and healing
"Community violence intervention programs such as the Regional Peacekeepers Collective have been shown to reduce violence by as much as 60%.
"Just like Seattle Fire Department quickly expanded Health One this year - with plans to expand again in the Fall - resulting in fewer police or fire engines sent, and just like Seattle has diverted 911 calls to administrative response in 2020 and 2021, we need to build a more robust alternate response now."
"I have also proposed funding, rather than waiting for the 2022 budget, to support the creation of Triage One and a dispatch protocol system, which would allow us to deploy the right resources and allow for better analysis so we can build more alternatives. Despite that the Council fully funded SPD’s 2021 staffing plan, police officers are still leaving the SPD in unprecedented numbers. I thank those remaining and committed to law enforcement service in Seattle and want to ensure that they are dispatched to calls to which only they can respond."
"Finally, I support funding to fill vacant Community Service Officer positions. I co-sponsored the creation of the program, and know these alternatives build community safety, and help allow sworn officers to respond to calls only they can respond to."
"The violence our community has experienced this week must end, and this Council will continue the work of reducing violence and building up true community safety. As [Seattle Police] Chief [Adrian] Diaz said last week, “we need everyone to encourage their friends and family members to put down their weapons and find ways other than violence to resolve their issues.”
Councilmember Andrew Lewis also sent a statement on the violence.
Lewis says:
“These recent shootings BY BLACK GANGSTAS have shown us it’s more important than ever to get community-based upstream investments the Council and Mayor have worked on together out the door, so we can meet people’s needs and disrupt the cycle of violence that impacts many families in Seattle."
“I’m grateful to SPD for diligently conducting an investigation that resulted in the arrest of two suspects involved in the Belltown shooting. The Council has always held investigations of gun violence are a cornerstone of our public safety response, which is why we fully funded SPD’s 2021 staffing plan, so they can hire more officers to respond to incidents like BLACK gun violence and patrol functions."

Two years later, mom of slain S. Seattle teen wants an arrest, justice in son's murder​

by Tammy Mutasa, KOMO News reporter
Fri, May 6th 2022 at 5:42 PM
Updated Fri, May 6th 2022 at 9:40 PM
UserWay icon for accessibility widget

Conner Dassa-Holland (Photo: Courtesy)

Conner Dassa-Holland (Photo: Courtesy)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon
SEATTLE — Two years later, a heartbroken Seattle mother is still waiting for justice after her son was fatally shot in front of their home in Rainier Beach on Mother's Day.
Conner Dassa-Holland, 18, was shot while parking his mother's car at their house on 51st Ave. S. His father heard the gunshots and found the teen, who died in his mom's arms.

Video was captured on a home surveillance camera and gunshots can be heard before a speeding car drives down the hill past another car and turns the corner.

The teen's murder is not the only unsolved case waiting for a resolution as the Seattle Police Department struggles with an ongoing major staffing crisis.
Alicia Dassa is one mother whose son's slaying is one of those unsolved cases.
The last place any mom would ever want to be is standing in front of their child’s grave.
But for Alicia Dassa, the bright picture of son Conner on his grave marker is a more comforting memory than the horrific night he died in her arms two years ago on Mother’s Day.
“We got to be with Conner," she said through tears. "He wasn’t alone. We got to say goodbye and (say) that we loved him."
Her son's promising future was cut brutally short when he was gunned down while moving his mom’s car in front of their Rainier Beach house.

Conner Dassa-Holland's mother is still grieving the loss of her sun two years after he was fatally shot in front of their home.

Keira, his 10-year-old sister, knows how unfair her brother's death was.

“He was such a positive person,” she said. “Like, why would you do something so terrible to someone like him?”

On the night of the murder, gunshots can be heard on a neighbor's surveillance video, then a car is seen speeding north on 51st Ave. S., past another car before it turns.

Although Seattle police detectives have been actively investigating and exhausting tips, Connor's killer still hasn’t been caught.

“Whoever knows or whoever has the littlest piece of information that might matter, just imagine what it would be like to lose the person you love the most and not know why,” said Alicia Dassa.

While the family and many others like them wait for justice, the city's police department is dealing with a historic staffing crisis.

Interim police Chief Adrian Diaz was forced to move many detectives into patrol units over the past year-and-a-half, leaving other detectives with larger caseloads.

KOMO News recently him asked what he says to victims still waiting for a resolution to crime that impacted their lives.

“I try to make a concerted effort to call all the families and reach out to them,” he said. “And make sure our detectives are working hard to solve those cases.”

Diaz said despite the staffing challenges, his detectives are working hard to maintain their 60 to 70 percent case clearance rate.

“We are constantly trying to make sure that we are bringing justice for the families,” he said. “They want to have closure quickly and some of these cases just take longer periods of time and we want to make sure we’re doing it right.”

For Dassa, it will take more than adding police to fight the gun violence tearing families apart. She’s been working with city leaders, police and organizations to help other families whose relatives were murdered.

For instance, a group of mothers is working to bring a Parents of Murdered Children chapter to Washington state.

“We’ve lived in Rainer Beach for a long time and the officer shortage is new," Dassa said. "And the gunfire is not."

As the family waits for a break in the case, they said they have felt the enormous outpouring of love from the community, ranging from the hundreds who showed up to their house for a vigil for Conner to the sea of cars that lined up for his drive-thru memorial held at the onset of the COVID pandemic.

They cherished the University of Washington freshmen student who had been accepted to 19 colleges; was a Rainier Beach football captain and class president. But his relatives said most of all he was a beloved son who touched his community.

“I thought people would forget by now," his mother said. "And they haven’t."

Anyone with information about his slaying was asked to call Crime Stoppers of Puget Sound or use P3 Tips.

There is a $3,700 cash reward for a tip that leads to an arrest.

Rainier Beach, Seattle

Seattle schools scramble to outsmart gangs | The Seattle Times

Bob Young: 206-464-2174 or byoung@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @PotReporter. As Seattle struggles with heightened violence attributed to street gangs, the city's schools are increasingly shaping ...

Prosecutors: Two men killed in Rainier Beach ... - The Seattle Times

An argument over the founding of a long-running South Seattle street gang ended up provoking a shooting in a Rainier Beach parking lot, according to the criminal charges.

Violence in a South Seattle parking lot prompts a call to action

Data from Seattle police shows that between 2014 and 2015 — the year Safe Passage launched — there was about a 30% decrease in violent crime in the Rainier Beach area. Numbers have gradually ...

https://www.spokesman.com › stories › 2023 › jul › 30 › rainier-beach-area-where-5-were-shot-has-been-magn

Rainier Beach area where 5 were shot has been magnet for violence ...

Jul 30, 2023 News; Washington; Rainier Beach area where 5 were shot has been magnet for violence, lawsuits say July 30, 2023 Updated Sun., July 30, 2023 at 8:45 p.m. Seattle police cars sit outside the Rainier

Back