Voodoo practicioners gather in Haiti

White Boy

Registered

Voodoo Practitioners Gather in Haiti

By PAISLEY DODDS
Associated Press Writer

SOUVENANCE, Haiti (AP) -- Haitians celebrated one of the year's most important Voodoo pilgrimages on Sunday, an event marked by drumming, sacrifices - discussion of whether Haiti's new government can heal a country still reeling from a bloody rebellion.

Carrying a heavy political significance this year, the pilgrimage drew hundreds to Souvenance, a village 90 miles north of Port-au-Prince, where followers made animal sacrifices to the West African warrior spirit Ogoun and danced to dizzying drum beats.

Founded by former slaves from the kingdom of Dahomey - now Benin - this dusty vi
lage fringed by cactus trees hosts the ceremony each year during the Rara carnival, when bands of costumed drummers and dancers roam the countryside.

Wrapped in white satin scarves, initiates chant a

nd
ance throughout the night to beckon sp
irits as onlookers gather. Rum, cane liquor and herbs are offered to appease a pantheon of spirits.

On Sunday, the faithful sacrificed goats and held them overhead, the goats' blood dripping onto their heads and staining their white clothes.
Voodoo is one of Haiti's three constitutionally recognized religions, along with Roman Catholicism and Protestantism. Under President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the government sanctioned Voodoo marriages, baptisms and other rites. Two-thirds of Haiti's 8 million people are said to practice Voodoo, which worships one creator and many spirits, or loas.

"Voodoo is all about unity," said George Fernand, 63, a Voodoo houngan, or priest. "We're hoping the new government will help
bring us unity."

Some of the rebels who staged the revolt that ousted Aristide on Feb. 29 held Voodoo ceremonies at the launch of their insurgency.

An offering to the Voodoo
god
of w
ar burned
in Gonaives, the site of Haiti's declaration of independence from France
200 years ago and where the latest revolt began.

On Sat*rday night, initiates gyrated in front of Wilfred Ferdinand, a rebel leader known as "Little Wil," and a houngan gave him a special blessing.

"Voodoo allowed us to accomplish a lot," said Ferdinand, guzzling beers as he watched the trancelike dancing in the dirt-floor Voodoo temple. "I've come to pay my respects and see it all happen."

Government representatives were also expected in Souvenance, but none had arrived by early Sunday.

The rebels have close ties to Haiti's impoverished masses, while the nation's new U.S.-backed interim government is composed of technocrats, many of whom spent years abr
oad.

Interim Prime Minister Gerard Latortue says the government will hold elections in 2005.

At least 300 people were killed in the rebellion. Some parts of the country
are sti
ll witho
ut police and int
ernational peacekeepers.

"The country needs security and it needs leaders who can help stop the hunger that so many of
us have," said Roget Biename, 54, a resident of Souvenance, which like most villages in Haiti is plagued with malnutrition and lack of clean water. "If the government wants to earn our trust they will have to work on all these things."

Voodoo rituals date back more than 400 years and have roots among the Yoruba tribe of Togo, Benin and parts of Nigeria.

The religion was banned by French colonial authorities, forcing slaves to hide their faith by adopting Catholic saints to correspond to African deities.

Several presidents also outlawed Voodoo, but it surged under dictator Francois Duvalier, or Papa Doc, who with his top hat and gl
asses resembled Baron Samedi, the Voodoo guardian of the dead.

Because of deepening poverty, Voodoo - which often requires pricey offerings of alcohol and food to t
he spirits
- has lost s
ome followers. But most p
ractice the religion.

"It's our culture," said Rodney Jean-Louis, 43, a Haitian-American who came from Queens, New York, to participate in
the ceremony. "Whether I'm in New York or anywhere else, the drums are going to beat in my blood."

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Voodoo - what a contribution to the world.

I'm shocked that the media does not shove it at us as "one of the worlds great religions".

Personally, I like it better when they eat each other!

That's because I am progressive, enlightened and sensitive to minority issues!

Apparently, you guys have a lot of misunderstandings about Voodoo. For example, had you fully realized that Voodoo is about unity, I bet you would have stopped the hate. Am I right?

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/04122004_voodoo.html
Voodoo is one of Haiti's three constitutionally recognized religions, along with Roman Catholicism and Protestantism. Under President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the government sanctioned Voodoo marriages, baptisms and other rites.

Two-thirds of Haiti's 8 million people are said to practice Voodoo
, which worships one creator and
any spirits, or loas.

"Voodoo is all about unity," said George Fernand, 63, a Voodoo houngan, or priest. "We're hoping the new government will help bring us unity."
r
r
</
>

Back