Taylor

Registered
http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/prosecutor_says_mobile_murder.html

Prosecutor says Mobile murder defendant
ripped out insides of victim at group home

by Brendan Kirby

December 07, 2012

11956671-small.jpg

Razellius Mills ... denied bail in murder case.

MOBILE, Alabama – A judge this morning denied bail for a man accused of fatally stabbing a fellow group home resident on Wednesday. The judge scheduled a preliminary hearing for Jan. 14.

Mobile County District Judge Charles McKnight also appointed attorney John Thompson to represent the defendant, Razellius Mills. The defendant will remain at Mobile County Metro Jail, where he has been placed on a suicide watch.

Assistant District Attorney JoBeth Murphree described the particularly gruesome nature of the alleged attack, which police say occurred at a Mobile group home in the 3500 block of Country Wood Court, where a judge had ordered him to stay.

Murphree told the judge that Mills cut Derrick Woods across his midsection, pulled out his intestines and cut them off. She said the lead investigator was available if the judge wanted to hear more details.

“I really don’t,” McKnight said. “I think it speaks for itself.”

Outside the courtroom, Murphree said she did not know what prompted the attack.

“It just happened, and I haven’t had a chance to learn all of the details,” she said.

According to court records, a judge on Oct. 31 modified the conditions of Mills’ probation on a third-degree burglary conviction, ordering him into a halfway house. The revocation proceedings came in response to an arrest by Saraland police on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon and third-degree theft.

Instead, he ended up in the hospital after drinking antifreeze, and Mobile County Probate Judge Don Davis committed him to outpatient treatment.AltaPointe Health Systems accepted him into the group home.

Murphree told McKnight that AltaPointe reported that the group would be an appropriate setting, “which turned out not to be the case.”

Mills, 20, has not allegations of violence in his past. Other than the burglary conviction and the charges stemming from the Saraland arrest, the only other mark on his record is a third-degree trespassing charge. Murphree acknowledged that the murder charge represents an unusual “zero to 60” escalation of criminal conduct.

According to AltaPointe officials, a staff member at the group home was cooking for residents when Mills stabbed Woods, A fellow resident discovered the stabbing and informed the staff member.

4 YEARS LATER

Man pleads guilty to stabbing, ripping out intestines of fellow patient in Alabama group home​

• Published: Jun. 09, 2016, 5:38 p.m.
razellious-millsjpg-826662ee67b5cff1.jpg

Razellius Mills, 24, pleaded guilty to the stabbing death of 32-year-old Derrick Woods, a fellow patient at AltaPointe Health Systems. Prosecutors say Mills removed Woods' intestines from his abdomen, then cut them off, during the murder.

By Jared Boyd | jboyd@al.com
Razellius Mills, 24, pleaded guilty to the stabbing death of 32-year-old Derrick Woods, a fellow patient at AltaPointe Health Systems. Prosecutors say Mills removed Woods' intestines from his abdomen, then cut them off, during the murder.

Mills is sentenced to 27 years in prison, in light of his plea agreement.

"Given the risk of a mental state defense succeeding and the defendant ending up right back in another group home with minimal supervision, 27 years in prison is a just and reasonable result in this case," Assistant District Attorney Keith Blackwood says.

"I made this decision in consultation with the victim's family after studying hundreds of pages of psychological records as well as taking into consideration all the surrounding circumstances of the facts of the case. Razellius Mills is going to prison where he cannot hurt anyone in our community for a very long time."

Police responded to the facility on the 3500 block of Country Wood Court in early December 2012. Mobile Fire-Rescue pronounced Woods dead on the scene.

Mills was arrested, but not charged and booked until the following day.

A staff member was cooking dinner for residents in the facility when the stabbing took place. Faculty members were alerted of the stabbing by another resident who found the body.

The AltaPointe facility houses patients with mental behavioral disorders. Staff provides care for these patients 24-hours a day. The stabbing was the first homicide reported by any of the group homes in AltaPointe's 20-facility network, spokesperson Carol Mann told AL.com in 2012.

"We're shocked and all of us are sad because we have staff providing services and monitoring (those in the group home) 24-hours a day," Mann said. "We look at them like family, and it hits us close to home."

Patients are not given treatment on-sight, Mann says. Instead the group home is mainly residential, allowing patients to participate in a support system for their respective mental illnesses while obtaining personal skills such as financial and hygienic advice.

"We all ask ourselves that, 'How could we have prevented this?'" Mann said
. "This incident was unpredictable."

Staff members and eight other residents were transferred to new facilities after news of the attack.

AltaPointe serves about 13,000 patients and runs 20 adult group homes with a total of 171 beds, in various Mobile County neighborhoods, Mann said.

‘Dilbert’s’ Scott Adams: ‘White people should get the hell away from Black people’

During his online program, the controversial East Bay cartoonist offered up his latest provocation, arguing that Black people constitute a ‘hate group’​

Adams also said, “I’m going to back off from being helpful to Black Americas because it doesn’t seem like it pays off. … The only outcome is that I get called a racist.”

Adams continued by suggesting that Black people don’t value education as much as other groups and by claiming he’s “sick” of seeing “video after video” of Black people beating up on non-Black people. He also stated: “We should be friendly. I’m not saying we should start a war or do anything bad. I’m just saying, get away.”

Back