UK: 80yo white woman viciously attacked by Asian, 60yo neighbour stabbed to death

-88-

Registered
Knife Nut Stabs Have-A-Go Hero To Death

A knife nut viciously attacked a frail pensioner before stabbing to death an elderly have-a-go hero neighbour who came to her aid during a horrific bloodbath.

The knifeman, in his 40s, who is believed to suffer from mental health problems, attacked the 80-year-old white woman at her flat in Cypress Road, Thornton Heath, south London, just before midnight last night.

The OAP, who is believed to know the suspect, was today fighting for her life at a central London hospital as police launched a murder inquiry.

Detectives believe the suspect, who is Asian, gained the woman's trust to get into her home before threatening her.

A
60-year-old male neighbour who overheard shouting went to investigate but was brutally stabbed to death when the crazed knifeman turned on him and attacked him with a "sharp instrument."

The knife man, believed to be from the Tooting area of south London, was himself taken to hospital after being injured during the orgy of violence. However he has since being released and taken into police custody for questioning by Murder Squad detectives.

Today forensics officers were carrying out a fingertip search of the three storey block of flats opposite a junior school in a quiet residential street.

Det Insp John Oldham, who is leading the murder hunt, said: "It is a bizarre and horrific incident.

"We are not really sure of the full circumstances of how the suspect gained entry into the pensioner's flat.

"They may have known each other, but it seems a serious argument broke out between the suspect and the elderly lady.

"We cannot be sure of any motive at this stage. Ther
e appears to have been nothing stolen from the flat, but we cannot rule out mental health issues.

"It appears that the elderly lady's friend came to her flat after hearing a disturbance and he was fatally wounded with a sharp instrument.

"The elderly lady also suffered stab wounds. Her condition is critical but she has shown a little improvement and, hopefully, she will survive.

"The suspect also injured himself during the incident. We are not looking for anyone else in connection with this inquiry at this point."

Tooting, which is less than three miles from the scene of the murder, is home to several high profile mental hospitals.

A neighbour of the dead man and injured elderly woman, who asked not to be named, said: "It is usually quite quiet around here, but it is getting worse.

"I probably shouldn't say this but I am trying to sell my flat to move in with my partner and this certainly will not help."

Back