Three shot in Evanston, Kevan arrested

-88-

Registered

Three shot in Evanston, man arrested

EVANSTON - Several children ducked for cover after a gunman scaled a fence separating a cemetery and a small block of homes here and opened fire at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, hitting three members of a family.

Two of the victims were shot - one in the back of the head - as they tried to rescue the initial shooting victim by pulling him into a car to take him to the hospital.

As they sped away, police said, the gunmen continued firing, striking two more family members.

None of the names of the victims was released by District 2 police. One of the victims, the father, was shot in the leg. The other two victims are his sons.

Police found the bullet-riddled Honda at University Hospital. One son - the first person shot - was struck by two bullets, wounding him in the arm and shoulder.

None of the victims' injuries were life-threatening, sa

id Cincinnati police Lt. Michael Savard.

An hour later, police found and arrested the suspected gunman, Kevan Turner, 28, on Wabash Avenue, about three blocks away from the Hudson Avenue shooting.

He was arrested on three charges of felonious assault.

Police say Turner is well known by police.

Police say Turner parked his gold Chrysler Concord near the cemetery and row of homes where the three victims live and approached one of the victims, shooting him twice after some sort of verbal altercation.

Shawndrea Kendell, 13, who was inside a neighboring home in the 3400 block of Hudson Avenue, said she heard the gunfire and saw the first victim crying for help. Shawndrea then called 911.

"I said, 'Hello, somebody got shot,' but then I saw the police coming and I hung up," Shawndrea said.

After the initial shooting, both the father and the second son raced out of their house - three houses away - in an effort to get the son to the hospita
l. T
hat's when they were shot.

Shawndrea said she saw Turner hop back over the fen
ce before racing off.

"It was like four shots; Bam! Bam, bam, bam!" said 47-year-old Matthew Washington, who lives about a 1â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š½ blocks away on Crane Avenue.

Savard said it was a miracle that the son who was shot in the head was expected to survive.

Tuesday's triple shooting followed a deadly holiday weekend in which two more people became homicide victims in the city of Cincinnati, bringing this year's total so far to 78 - the highest number of homicides in 28 years.

The new total is closing in on 1971, when there were 81 homicides.

Neighbors like Shawndrea and her mother were shocked by the shooting because the area, which is close to Duck Creek Road, is considered safe compared to other city areas.

"It's very quiet here. It's a very quiet block for Evanston. That's why I'm so shocked.

"You could go to sleep with yo
ur doors
open," said Shawndrea's mother, Kim Shelton.

Thirteen-year-old Mecca Freeman who was sitting on a front porch when the shots rang out said no
thing shocks her any more after growing up in various city neighborhoods.

Between the start of 2005 and Oct. 31, police received 2,903 reports of shots being fired in the city.

"We have a lot of stuff like that in Cincinnati, so I'm not scared," Mecca said.

Both police and Shelton say that Turner is well known in the area.

Shelton said she was shocked to hear that Turner was still in the area an hour later but pleased with the swiftness of his arrest.

"That was quick and that's good," Shelton said. "He must have wanted to get caught. ... I guess he feels it's safer in jail than out on the streets."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.d
ll/a...28036
5/-1/CINCI

Back