The Call of the Canyon

Rasp

Senior Editor
Sorry for the misleading title; it's the title of a book I was reading by Zane Grey (1872-1939).

"The Call of the Canyon" was published in 1922, shortly after WWI. In it a young woman (Carley) visits Arizona to seek a lost love, but over time she realizes that the decadent eastern society she was once a part of--the Jazz age in particular--was detrimental, or rather, diametrical to those very values our soldiers had fought and died for. She returns to Jew York and is sickened by the foppish behavior of her former pals and (in the following passage) she lambastes a group of shallow-minded wastrels.

It's not a great book, but you can see by his writing that Mr. Grey was an enlightened, racially-aware fellow. [Paragraph breaks are mine, for easier reading.]

"There's nothing wrong with me or my friends or life in good old New York."

"Nothing wro
ng!" cried Carley. "Listen. Nothing wrong in your life today--nothing for you women to make right? You are blind as bats--as dead to living truth as if you were buried. Nothing wrong when thousands of crippled soldiers have no homes--no money--no friends--no work--in many cases no food or bed? . . . Splendid young men who went away in their prime to fight for you and came back ruined, suffering! Nothing wrong when sane women with the vote might rid politics of partisanship, greed, crookedness? Nothing wrong when prohibition is mocked by women--when the greatest boon ever granted this country is derided and beaten down and cheated?

Nothing wrong when there are half a million defective children in this city? Nothing wrong when there are not enough schools and teachers to educate our boys and girls, when those teachers are shamefully underpaid? Nothing wrong when the mothers of this great country let their youngsters go to the dark motion picture halls and night after night in thousands of towns over
all this broad land see pictures that the juvenile court and the educators and keepers of reform schools say make burglars, crooks, and murderers of our boys and vampires of our girls? Nothing wrong when these young adolescent girls ape you and wear stockings rolled under their knees below their skirts and use a lip stick and paint their faces and darken their eyes and pluck their eyebrows and absolutely do not know what shame is?

Nothing wrong when you may find in any city women standing at street corners distributing booklets on birth control? Nothing wrong when great magazines print no page or picture without its sex appeal? Nothing wrong when the automobile, so convenient for the innocent little run out of town, presents the greatest evil that ever menaced American girls! Nothing wrong when money is god--when luxury, pleasure, excitement, speed are the striven for? Nothing wrong when some of your husbands spend more of their time with other women than with you? Nothing wrong with jazz--where the l
ights go out in the dance hall and the dancers jiggle and toddle and wiggle in a frenzy?

Nothing wrong in a country where the greatest college cannot report birth of one child to each graduate in ten years? Nothing wrong with race suicide and the incoming horde of foreigners? . . . Nothing wrong with you women who cannot or will not stand childbirth? Nothing wrong with most of you, when if you did have a child, you could not nurse it? . . . Oh, my God, there's nothing wrong with America except that she staggers under a titanic burden that only mothers of sons can remove! . . . You doll women, you parasites, you toys of men, you silken-wrapped geisha girls, you painted, idle, purring cats, you parody of the females of your species--find brains enough if you can to see the doom hanging over you and revolt before it is too late!"

Back