Tampa cops want to talk to Gregory Everett McCray

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

0720mccray.jpg

Stabbing, carjacking suspect on the loose in Tampa

TAMPA - A 39-year-old Chevron store clerk was mortally wounded Tuesday in what investigators believe was a robbery attempt, and police have named a person of interest in the case.

Just before 11' o'clock, police say, a suspect burst into the Chevron FoodMart near the I-275 and M.L.K. Boulevard interchange. The suspect stabbed clerk David Kisiwani, the only person in the store, and left him unconscious bef
re fleeing.

On his way out, the suspect locked the doors. While a Florida Sentinel Bulletin delivery van driver was trying to open them, the suspect got into the van, threatened the van's

driver at knifepoint, and drove off.

The van was later recovered, but the suspect was not fo
und. Kisiwani, 39, died soon after at Tampa General Hospital.

Friends of Kisiwani told Action News that he was a father of three girls and a boy, and he had hopes of owning the station where he worked.

"He had been working there for three years and he was trying to get a small business loan to buy the station," Donna Meacher said.

"He's a very good guy, very quiet, very nice. He's my best, best friend," Emad Hasan added.

Tuesday afternoon, police said Gregory Everett McCray, 48, may have been in the store before the attack; he was being sought by investigators as a person of interest -- though not a suspect -- in the case.

McCray was released from prison six months ago after serving nearly 16 years behind bars for attempted murder and several armed robberies.

Anyone with information about McCray's
wher
eabouts, or the location of his dark blue 1995 Ford Explorer (license number X18GXQ) should call Tampa police.

Turn yoself in n-gg
er, da jig is up!

T.N.B.

Gas station stabbing suspect behind bars

Tampa police have arrested the man wanted in connection with the stabbing death of a Chevron station clerk.

Forty-eight-year-old Gregory Everett McCray of Tampa is in custody at the Orient Road Jail.

Police received a tip that McCray was at the Salvation Army on Florida Avenue. Officers found him there and arrested him on the spot.

Store clerk Yahya Kisnani, 39, died Tuesday afternoon at Tampa General Hospital after being stabbed during a struggle with the suspect at about 11 a.m. He is survived by his wife and four children.
<
r>Surveillance video shows McCray lunging through a window at Kisnani. Police say the suspect also left crucial evidence at the scene.

"We have discovered that he left his driver's licens

e at the scene of the crime," said Tampa Police Spokeswoma
n Laura McElroy. "We have found fingerprints of Gregory McCray at the crime scene and we have surveillance videotape placing him inside the Chevron in a struggle with the victim."

As the suspect fled from the scene, a driver with the Florida Sentinel newspaper pulled up to deliver morning papers. The suspect warned him not to go inside, but the driver ignored him. When the driver found the front door locked, he turned around and saw the suspect trying to steal his 1994 white Ford van.
Surveillance video of the crime.

The driver pleaded with the suspect not to take the van. But the suspect put a knife to his throat and told him, "Don't mess with me. I done something bad and I need to get away fast.'&
#39;

The suspect, presumably McCray, fled in the van heading northbound on I-275. Police later found the van parked on Adele Street, minutes away from the crime scene.

McCray got
out
of jail in January after serving 16 years for a similar crime involving a Jacksonville storekeeper

In this case, McCray is charged with first-degree murder, robbery with a deadly weapon and carjacking with a deadly weapon. He is being held without bond. He was also arrested on drug charges in April.

"He obviously has a lengthy criminal record and that's where he's headed back to," said McElroy.

Wake up America and smell the negro!

T.N.B.

Back