Senator's email to professor sparks conflict

Hellcat

Registered

By Andy Benson
Editor-in-chief
April 19, 2004

Tension generated by Thursday's ASBSU Senate meeting spilled over into cyberspace when ASBSU Senator Belle Antchekov sent a vaguely worded email [see sidebar] to English professor Marcy Newman accusing Newman of racism and pledged to seek an unstated form of justice.

The dispute began when Newman addressed ASBSU President David Morriss at Thursday's meeting. Newman raised concerns that the current ASBSU administration was insensitive to issues faced by under-represented students. During the heated exchange, Morriss said that Newman had previously stated that a white speaker was inappropriate during Martin Luther King J
. Celebration Week earlier in the semester, statements quickly confirmed by Newman.

Later that night, Antchekov sent an email intended for Newman to Nick Newman, BSU art professor, who then forwarded

th
email to Marcy. Newman det
ermined the letter was of a threatening nature and contacted the Ada County Sheriff's Office, initiating an investigation.

Antchekov said she wants Newman to apologize for her comments, characterizing them as racist towards whites.

A faculty member who represents Boise State should not be saying this type of stuff, Antchekov said. She's a teacher, she has a responsibility to not be racist "â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š¦ She really ought to make a public statement apologizing for that.

Newman defended her comments during the senate meeting, reiterating that she felt a white speaker was inappropriate during a celebration commemorating the accomplishments of Dr. King.
A white person is not an appropriate MLK speaker, Newman said. All year long, we have white speakers on campu
s every month, every week. This is one opportunity to have someone who is not from the dominant culture speak on campus. And I think that's asking for very little.

Newman also dismissed A
ntch
ekov
's accusati
nons that she was racist.

" think that she obviously been not been getting a very good education from Boise State if that's her understanding of racism, Newman said. Racism is fundamentally about institutional structures that create a climate in which people not of the dominant culture are oppressed. It's an ill-informed and an ahistorical understanding of racism.

Antchekov said that justice meant Boise State President Bob Kustra would be notified and was unapologetic for the tone used in the email: She should feel threatened because she did the wrong thing. However, Antchekov said nothing sinister was implied.

Come on, I'm not that type of person, Antchekov said.

Newman said the letter crossed the line between discourse and intimidation and called Antchekov's
judgment into question.

Making that kind of threat to another human being is unconscionable, Newman said. And I think it's really absurd considering what I said at that me
eting
"â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š¦
I think
that's really not t
he way an elected official should be acting.

The following is the text of the email sent to English professor Marcy Newman by ASBSU Senator Belle Antchekov

Dear Ms. Newman,

I would like to introduce myself. I work teaching English as a second language. I volunteer with the Agency for New Americans, a refugee resettlement agency here in Boise. I have travelled to the middle east (not military). My major is International Politics and I intend to get a masters in Middle Eastern Studies. My best friends are of diverse backgrounds. If any person would dare call me racist, I could vouch that at least twenty people would defend me that I am not with an oath. I also happen to be white. Basically I am saying this. Your comments in the senate were of a racist nature and un
less you publicly apologize for these statements, I will do my best to assure that justice is served and you will have the punishments fit for any person being proven to ma
ke public
s
tatements o
f a racist nature. Racism a
gainst the white race is equal to racism against any other. Racism is Racism. You should consider yourself fortunate that I am giving you this warning.

ASBSU Senator
Belle Antchekov

http://www.arbiteronline.com/vnews/display...9/40839c116800d

Back