Queens man busted for trying to join ISIS

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://nypost.com/2017/08/29/queens-man-busted-for-trying-to-join-isis/

Queens man busted for trying to join ISIS
By Emily Saul
August 29, 2017 | 2:13pm | Updated

A 22-year-old Queens man has been busted trying to join ISIS, authorities said Tuesday.

Parveg Ahmed was deported back to the US from Saudia Arabia on Monday as he attempted to cross into Syria to joint the militant group, according to a newly unsealed indictment.

The Ozone Park man left a message for his family before traveling overseas, according to court papers, writing: “Forgive me if I was harsh/overbearing. Please remember all that I tried to teach you.”

He faces charges of attempting to provide material support to ISIS and is expected to face arraignment in Brooklyn federal court. If convicted, he faces life behind bars.

After Ahmed was taken into custody, authorities discovered disturbing images “associated with violent” groups on Ahmed’s phone, including “a picture of five men hanging by their necks with the caption ‘Gay men to be hanged,’ texts justifying attacks on the World Trade Center and a picture of the leader of ISIS, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Unsent messages were also found on the phone saying, “We will join the Jihad very son and in Sha Allah [God willing] we will then join the rans of the Shuhuda [martyrs],” the papers say.

Feds also uncovered various social-media accounts belonging to the young man in which he declared allegiance to the bloodthirsty group.

“Who are Jihadis? Muslims who fight to establish the Sharia IN THEIR OWN LANDS, wanted by MAJORITY of the people. USA are the real terrorists,” read one post from October 2014.

When Ahmed was first confronted by authorities in January at JFK as he returned from a trip to Bangladesh, he told them the social-media posts “were made at a low point in his life and at a time when he was smoking a large amount of marijuana,” according to court papers.

Agents then gained access to his home computer, where they found other disturbing propaganda, such as lectures by radical clerics Anwar al-Awlaki and Abdullah el-Faisal.

Ahmed had also bookmarked lectures in support of ISIS.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/20/queens-man-admits-he-tried-to-join-isis/

Queens man admits he tried to join ISIS
By Emily Saul
June 20, 2018 | 5:55pm

A Queens man caught attempting to sneak into Syria admitted Wednesday he was attempting to join ISIS.

Parveg Ahmed, 23, pleaded guilty in Brooklyn federal court to charges of attempting to provide material support to the terrorist organization.

“I tried to travel to a land controlled by an organization which the U.S. government has deemed a Foreign Terrorist Organization,” Ahmed told the court. “I knew it was deemed a Foreign Terrorist Organization. That’s my crime, traveling there.”

Ahmed was caught in Saudi Arabia in June 2017 as he attempted to cross into Syria.

Prosecutors have previously said they found ISIS propaganda on his phone, and disturbing social media posts expressing support for the group.

Defense attorney Michael Schneider declined to comment as he left court.

Ahmed faces up to 20 years behind bars when sentenced.

Back