"Proud Korean-American" In Oakland Gets Hate Crime

http://www.timesstar.com/Stories/0,1413,12...2199621,00.html

Hate message at restaurant
Owner who wants to convert Kwik Way eatery near Lake Merritt reports profane graffiti, racial slur
By STAFF REPORTS

OAKLAND -- A man who has faced neighborhood opposition for trying to convert his fast food restaurant near Lake Merritt into a McDonald's franchise said Monday he was the victim of a hate crime during the weekend.
Police are investigating, but said there are no leads to suspects and they are not sure whether what happened could be classified as a hate crime.

Richard Hahn, 29, said someone wrote a racial slur and profanity-laced threats to "sell or die" on a door of his Kwik Way restaurant in the 500 block of Lake Park Avenue. He said the vanda
lism occurred between late Saturday and 9:45 a.m. Sunday, when he made the disc
overy.

What happened "doesn't make any sense," Hahn said, especially because he has not yet received city Planning Commission approval to make the change.

Hahn said he has not decided what he is going to do about converting the restaurant, but noted "the fight is not over yet. I'm angry, but I'm also more passionate."

Hahn said he would leave what was written on the door "to remind me that I am a proud Korean American and I'm not running away."

He may be a Korean but he'll never be an American. Not a *real* American anyway. Too bad he doesn't realize this.

Back