Officials: Suspected Case Of Measles At Princeton University

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/28...ected-case-of-measles-at-princeton-university

Officials: Suspected Case Of Measles At Princeton University
Posted: Feb 18, 2015 10:59 PM EST
Updated: Feb 18, 2015 10:59 PM EST
By Shawnette Wilson, Reporter

PRINCETON, N.J. - Princeton University sent out an email Wednesday informing the student body about a suspected case of measles.

"I was a little alarmed that there was a case of measles here," said Jon Cortez. :rolleyes:

He's among the students on the campus of Princeton University who received an email Wednesday informing them about a student suspected of having the measles.

"I certainly wasn't worried because it did say 99.5 % of people were vaccinated for it and that the university had already contacted people that were around the student," said Cortez.

The email from the university reads in part: "We are writing to inform you that the university has received a report of an undergraduate student with a suspected case of measles. Preliminary results were received on Tuesday, February 17 and additional tests are being conducted."

"I'm not worried about it. Most people here are vaccinated," said Pavithra Vijayakumar. She's a global health student and says the news made her think about the controversy surrounding vaccinations.

"I think it's reflective of how dangerous it can be when people from other places aren't vaccinated," she said.

University officials also say the New Jersey Department of Health is recommending that any staff and faculty in specific spaces listed in the email between February 4th and 8th should check their vaccination records and contact a doctor if they have concerns.

Most students on campus aren't worried though.

"I think it should be fine," said Lindsey Bergh.

Another student Luke Strieber isn't worried either.

"We went through the meningitis so we've all had the run of the scary viruses so I think this is the second time around and we've gotten used to it," said Strieber.

University officials say they're waiting on results from additional tests done on the student but they say that student has recovered and is no longer contagious.

Back