Obama takes offense to Trump’s ‘populist’ claims

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://nypost.com/2016/06/30/obama-takes-offense-to-trumps-populist-claims/

Obama takes offense to Trump’s ‘populist’ claims
By Marisa Schultz
June 30, 2016 | 12:59am

President Obama, in Canada Wednesday, ranted against Donald Trump’s policies on trade and immigration and took special umbrage at any suggestion the presumptive GOP presidential nominee is a populist.

“I’m not prepared to concede the notion that some of the rhetoric that’s been popping up is populist,” Obama said in self-described “rant” in Ottawa as he closed out a press conference with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto.

Obama said he’s the true populist because “I care about people and I want to make sure every kid in America has the same opportunities that I have. :rolleyes: And I care about poor people who are working really hard and don’t have a chance to advance.”

“Somebody else who has never shown any regard for workers, has never fought on behalf of social-justice issues, or making sure that poor kids get a decent shot at life or have health care and, in fact, [has] worked against economic opportunity for workers and ordinary people — they don’t suddenly become a populist because they say something controversial in order to win votes. That is not the measure of populism. That is nativism or xenophobia, or worse, or it’s just cynicism,” Obama said in his 6¹/₂-minute soliloquy. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back