Nogs Pound Viets In South Philly School-

If these were White Nationalists outside a public school, we'd need a permit far in advance, else we'd be arrested on the spot. But nor the precious Viets.
VIDEO at site-
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/060804_nw...oolprotest.html
Asian Students Fear for Their Safety
June 8, 2004 --There was a protest Tuesday by Vietnamese students in South Philadelphia who insist that they're not being treated fairly by their school, and the people who run it.

VIDEO: Cathy Gandolfo reports

Some of the parents who have children at Southwark School are
concerned that their children are not being treated fairly and they believe it's because they are Asian. This morning they staged a protest.

Dozens of members of South Philadelphia's Vietnam

ese community demonstrated outside Southward School at 9th and Mifflin. They c
ite at least 5 incidents where Vietnamese students were allegedly beaten by African American students and that the Principal Anna Jenkins doesn't address the problem. They are concerned for the children's safety.

A parent, who did not want to be identified, says her 8th grade daughter was pushed to the ground. Through a translator, she told Action News her daughter still suffers form headaches.

Those we spoke with believe that the principal does not report all incidents to the district. A spokesman for Philadelphia schools disagrees with all of the protesters' allegations. He says Southwark is one of the safest schools in the city and has had very few incidents and there is no bias on the part of Princi
pal Jenkins.

The district says there may be some personal differences between the school principal and the organizers of today's protest. In any case, the two sides meet regularly to dis
cuss
concerns and the school district says it will continue to do so.

Slants beaten by n-ggers at a school paid for by white taxpayer dollars.
The joys of multiculturalism never cease do they?

The Dinks have been here how many years and can't speak English?

Of course, they could be the ones who are still arriving - 30 YEARS AFTER THE WAR ENDED!

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/8876156.htm

Protesters claim principal biased against Asians

By MENSAH M. DEAN

deanm@phillynews.com

On the surface, Southwark Elementary School is the picture of racial harmony.

Of the 550 students, 38 percent are Asian American, 37 percent African-American, 13 percent Caucasian and 12 percent Latino.

On Principal Anna Jenkins' office door hangs this Chinese proverb:

Tell me and I forget.

Show me and I remember.

Involve me and I understand.

"We learn about each others' cultures
ere, and it makes it more interesting," said Jenkins, daughter of Italian immigrants whose husband is African-American.

Some of Southwark's Asian-American students and parents, however, belie

ve Jenkins' words amount to a whitewash.

Beneath the surface at the 95-year-old
South Philly school, they say, Asian-American students are routinely treated unfairly by none other than Jenkins.

Yesterday morning, about 50 children, teens and adults from the Asian-American community protested outside the fortress-like school to demand that Jenkins punish students who attack Asian-American children, and that she report all such incidents.

John Pham, an Asian-American community organizer, alleged that Jenkins under-reports violent incidents against Asian-American students to protect her reputation as a first-year principal.

Jenkins, 35, along with school district officials, refuted the protesters' allegations.

The school, at 9th and Mifflin, is actually one of the ci
ty's safest, spokesman Fernando Gallard said, noting there has been only one serious assault on a student this year while dozens of other fights and other incidents were deemed of a lesser magnit
ude
and handled with suspensions.

"I'm sorry, but you can't be a racist when you have interracial children
," Jenkins said, referring to her own family.

The protesters, though, said Jenkins is loud and rude with students and parents alike. They demanded that she treat Asian-American parents with respect when they come to the school and that she provide translators for those who speak little or no English.

Chen Chhea, 34, said that when she spoke with Jenkins in the fall after her son Rickey had gotten into a fight, Jenkins yelled at her and blamed Rickey for the fight, a contention that she and Rickey disputes.

"When black and Asian kids fight, she suspends the Asian kids," Rickey, 13, said during an interview at his home a few blocks from school.

Said
his mom, whose family immigrated from Cambodia: "I just want it to be fair. But there has been no change since October. Maybe a new principal will be fair. We are human beings. We just wan
t fairn
ess for every race."

Tommy Tran, 13, said he was attacked by four African-American girls after he refused to give one of the girls a broom he was usi
ng. Tommy said that only he was suspended.

"It's not fair because they hit me too," Tommy said during the protest. (District officials said that two other students had been involved and that one of them had been suspended.)

Pham said representatives of the Asian-American community and the district have met numerous times since the fall.

The parents of about 13 Vietnamese students withdrew them from the school this year, Pham said.

He said he had suggested to district officials that Jenkins be given training "to learn about Asian culture and how to have manners with the Asian parents. The parents get intimidat
ed when you get loud with them."

Loi Ma, executive director of the Vietnamese United National Association of Greater Philadelphia, said the two-hour protest had been meant t
o show Jenk
ins that "we support our children. The principal looks like a very powerful lady, and what is happening to our children doesn't seem like a big deal to her," he said.

But Jenkins said it was an
outright "lie" that she treated Asian-American students unfairly or differently from others.

She noted that since arriving at Southwark in September, she has begun two after-school Asian dance classes and an after-school Asian-language class, and has worked closely with the school's Asian-American counselor.

As for being rude? "I have a very bubbly personality. I'm Italian, I talk with my hands. Their culture is very timid," Jenkins said, "so maybe I can tone that down. But that's a cultural thing; it's nothing malicious."

District official
s said personnel at Southwark and at every other school began receiving cultural sensitivity training this year. They said an investigation had revealed that Asian-American stud
ents were not b
eing targeted for attack by other students and that Jenkins was reporting incidents properly.

Of the 83 suspensions at the school this year, only six were of Asian-Americans, said Claudia Averette, the district official who investigated the protesters' allega
tions.

"When I look at suspension numbers...," she said,"I do not see unfair practices toward Asian students."

I pity the White kids who have to go to that school.

Back