Negro Confesses To Wife's Murder

Rick Dean

Registered

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/news/st...ews/185356.html

185356-78083.jpg
Robert Foster Jr.

Robert Foster Jr. was expected to sit quietly during a brief hearing Wednesday to adjourn his preliminary examination.

But Foster, 46, charged with the March 25 stabbing death of his wife, Deborah Moore-Foster, had something to say.

When Calhoun County District Court Judge Samuel Durham asked Foster if he would agree to postponing his h
aring, Foster said no.

"I don't want to do that," he said. "I wish to confess to the murder of my wife -- first degree."

Durham and defense attorney Mark Webb of Mars

hal
clearly did not expect the statement. They quickly advised Foster to be quiet, and Foster followed their direction. Dur
ham explained that any statements made by Foster could be used against him in future proceedings.

Moments later, when the judge asked if Foster would waive the hearing, Foster replied, "I don't have anything else to say."

Calhoun County Prosecutor John Hallacy was barely able to suppress a smile at the unexpected statement.

In the back of the courtroom, Moore-Foster's son, Joel Moore, said the statement stunned him.

"It was a shock. I couldn't believe he said it. I was glad he said it."

Moments later, as Foster was taken from the courtroom, he turned and looked for a long moment at Joel Moore.

"I wa
s asking why," Moore said later. "Why did he do it? But he looked soulless to me. He is a soulless, evil man."

Webb asked for the adjournment because he said he only learn
ed o
n Mo
nday he had
been appointed as Foster's attorney and only received copies of the police reports in the case Wednesday morning.

Defendants are entitled to a preliminary examination within
14 days of their arrest to determine if a judge finds probable cause to send the case to circuit court for trial.

But Webb asked for the adjournment so he would have more time to prepare for the case.

Durham ordered the hearing delayed and rescheduled it for April 29.

Moore-Foster, 50, was stabbed in her apartment on Capital Avenue Northeast and died in the driveway, covered with blood. Police said she was stabbed with a kitchen knife, probably from her apartment. They found a trail of blood through the apartment and into the parking lot.

When Foster was arrested inside the home of
an acquaintance on Cherry Street, he then told police, "My wife grabbed a knife and stabbed me so I stabbed her back." He had a cut on his right hand.

She filed fo
r divorc
e and ob
tained a personal p
rotection order late last year, saying her husband of two years threatened to kill her.

"He made threats that he would kill me," she wrote in her application to Calhoun County Circuit Court Cler
k's Office for a PPO. "He threatened me with a knife and told me he would kill me."

Moore-Foster's niece, Tanya Maske, and other members of the family said last week that Foster tried to control his wife.

"He was just a violent, jealous, and controlling person," Maske said. "He would tell her, 'You are my wife and you will do as I say.'"

Foster remains in the county jail, held without bond.

About 150 people attended a memorial service and vigil held Tuesday for Moore-Foster in downtown Battle Creek.

Trace Christenson covers crime and courts. He can be reached at 966-0685 or tchrist@battlecr.gannett.-com

Moments later, as Foster was taken from the courtroom, he turned and looked for a long moment at Joel Moore.

"I was asking why," Moore said later. "Why did he do it? But he looked soulless to me. He is a soulless, evil man."

They all are.

T.N.B.

Back