Rick Dean

Registered

http://www.cleveland.com/lottoscandal/inde...01battle09.html

elecia010904.jpg

This is surprising -- not.

Ohio woman admits lying in lottery case

The Associated Press
Jan 8, 1:53 PM EST

CLEVELAND (AP) -- A woman admitted through tears Thursday that she lied about losing the winning ticket for a $162 million lottery prize, saying: "I wanted to win so badly for my kids and my family."

Elecia Battle, 40, is dropping her lawsuit to block
payment of the 11-state Mega Millions jackpot to the certified winner, her lawyer Sheldon Starke said.

"I wanted to win," Battle said. "The numbers were so overwhelming. I did buy a t

icke
t and I lost it. I wanted to win so bad for my kids and my family. I apologize."

The Cleveland woman had filed a police repo
rt saying she lost the ticket, possibly when she dropped her purse outside a convenience store. The lottery dismissed the claim and declared Rebecca Jemison, 34, the winner on Tuesday.

Police Lt. Kevin Nietert said Thursday he expected Battle to be charged with filing a false police report, a misdemeanor punishable by 30 days to six months in jail.

Battle apologized to her husband, her lawyer and Jemison, saying she wanted to use the money to help her family and recently laid-off Cleveland police officers.

"I'm not a bad person, I'm really not," she said. "Everyone has a past."

Lottery officials said they
knew the truth all along.

"The Ohio Lottery from the beginning had all the confidence in the world that Rebecca Jemison had the winning ticket and purchased the winning ticket," spo
kesw
oman Mardel
e Cohen said.

Jemison had provided another lottery ticket purchased at the same time and location and had a lottery ticket that showed she had played the same numbers in the pr
ior drawing, the lottery said.

Battle's police report said the ticket numbers were related to her family, and police initially said she had a credible story because she knew details such as the approximate time the winning ticket was bought.

Police and court records show Battle has a criminal history.

While working at a Richmond Heights pharmacy in 1999, Battle used a customer's credit card number to make purchases, police said. She paid a $450 fine for misuse of a credit card, and a 10-day jail sentence was suspended.

Battle was convicted in 2000 in Cleveland Heights of
assault for grabbing a drug store clerk's hair and scratching her, according to police records. Battle got a six-month suspended sentence.

She was convicted of criminal trespassi
ng in 20
02 and paid restitu
tion of about $1,250, according to South Euclid court records. Fines were suspended because she was indigent.

Jemison, a hospital telephone operator who lives in suburban South Euclid, quali
fied for a lump-sum payment of $67.2 million, after taxes.

‚©2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

WHAT? a negro that lied? you must be mistaken........hey RD, you 'locked and loaded' for the Louisville race riots to come???????? get ready, them nigras be pissed.........

I saw that they had a mini bongo-party downtown today, but was surprised that there were as many whites there protesting along side with the bootlips as there were. Today's white race traitor is tomorrow's victim of TNB.

True.....I long to rearrange the facial bones of these f$cking wiggers and negrolovers........the lowest form of life on the planet.......I had a patient in the office the other day I heard pulling into the parking lot with the n$gger music blaring and he comes slouching in the office with the baggy pants, backward hat, etc........in front of several patients and the entire office staff, I degraded him verbally....."hey Martell, UB lookin good" and "with the money you spent on that car boom box, you could have had a way better car"........he stopped, turned around and walked out......F*ck off wigger. Eat Sh*t.........

Back