Musician's relatives weep at slay trial (he was to meet black man for sex and drugs)

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://nypost.com/2013/12/11/musicians-relatives-weep-at-slay-trial/

Musician’s relatives weep at slay trial
By Josh Saul
December 11, 2013 | 7:05am

young1.jpg

Troy Young was shot dead in his apartment in 2009.

The family of a slain Idaho man who came to the Big Apple chasing dreams of being a rock star wiped away tears Tuesday as Brooklyn prosecutors opened their case against his alleged killer.

“I want to see justice. I don’t care whether he robbed him or what the situation was, but my son didn’t deserve to die,” Beverly Thibodeau said of her son, Troy Young.

Young, 29, was shot dead in his Carroll Gardens apartment in 2009.

young2.jpg

Troy Young’s mother Beverly Thibodeau at court with her husband Michael.

Prosecutors say Tyshawn Augustus, 27, killed Young in a sex-for-drugs hookup that devolved into a robbery.

It all ended, prosecutors said, with Young dead and the convicted drug dealer making off with his Fender Stratocaster guitar.

“They were planning to meet for the purpose of engaging in sex for drugs,” Assistant DA James Leeper said, adding that prior to the shooting, the two men had chatted over the phone about the exchange.

“The actual encounter turned out very differently. It turned into a fatal encounter,” Leeper said.

Young’s family sat stoically in the Brooklyn Supreme Court gallery.

“There are no words. I wish they had the death penalty,” said Young’s sister, Allyson Marotta, who dabbed both eyes with a tissue during the trial.

The case against Augustus rests on the phone contact between him and Young, the musician’s DNA that was found under Augustus’ fingernails and the expected testimony of a man who says Augustus recruited him to help with the robbery, prosecutors said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thug who shot musician gets 23 years to life​

By
Social Links for Josh Saul

Published Feb. 25, 2014, 2:35 p.m. ET

Troy Young

Tyshawn Augustus was sentenced to 23 years to life behind bars for killing Troy Young (seen here) in December, 2013. MySpace

A Brooklyn thug who shot and killed an aspiring musician from Idaho in a robbery gone wrong was sentenced to 23 years to life behind bars Tuesday.
Tyshawn Augustus, 27, was convicted of murder in December 2013 for killing Troy Young, 29, in a 2009 sex-for-drugs hookup that devolved into a robbery of Young’s Fender Stratocaster from his Carroll Gardens apartment, prosecutors said.
“In the course of the robbery there was a struggle. The defendants shot Troy Young once and stole his guitar,” said Brooklyn prosecutor James Leeper.
“Troy was the youngest of my five children – four boys and one girl – he was my baby and my rock,” mom Beverly Thibodeau said in a statement read by Leeper.
“I can’t imagine why someone would murder my son the way he was murdered.”

Young had come to the Big Apple chasing his dream of becoming a rock star, his family has said.
Defense attorney Doug Appel said Augustus wouldn’t speak at his sentencing because he plans to appeal his conviction.
As he was sentenced, Augustus held a paperback book, “The Intelligent Investor,” which is described on Amazon as containing “timeless wisdom for today’s market conditions.”

Back