MOTHER OF ALL $UITS

S

Sophia

BIG COLOR PIC IN PAPER, NOT ONLINE EDITION

Of course shes black !

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/26845.htm

By DENISE BUFFA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 6, 2004 -- A Brooklyn woman has sued her former boss and their firm for $1 million, saying he maliciously fired her because she was pregnant.
Annel Lene, 31, says she was working as a receptionist at Stanley Pleating & Stitching Co. and Manhattan Trimmings in Midtown for a few weeks when she learned she was pregnant.

Lene, who h
d been convinced she couldn't conceive, says she was so happy that she told co-workers. But they immediately warned her not to inform her boss, Stuart Mayer.

"Almost everybody told me, &#39

;Don't tell him you are pregnant because he's going to fire you,' " she said.

Le
ne, who charges discrimination in the suit she recently filed in Brooklyn Supreme Court, says she had to ask to leave work early one day to apply for WIC government benefits for her and the baby.

"I told him I was pregnant. He's like, 'Congratulations,' " she said.

But she says things turned sour later, after she called in and told Mayer her doctor had ordered her two days of bed rest because she wasn't feeling well. When she returned to her $9-an-hour job, Lene says another woman was sitting at her desk --and Mayer was like another person.

"He told me I'm not going to work with him no more because I'm pregnant. . . . Too many appoin
tments, absences, that's what he said."

Lene recalls saying nothing to Mayer, but she remembers the sadness that overwhelmed her. She says she soon plummeted into depression --and w
as u
nable to eat anything but a little rice and beans despite the urgings of her family for her sake and the baby's.

But with the help of her famil
y, particularly her mother, Lene's spirits lifted.

Lene recently showed off her belly through a floral blouse at her baby shower. She says she has a lot to be happy about.

Although Lene is no longer with the baby's father, she said an old boyfriend is whisking her from the two-bedroom apartment she shares with her mom and others to a four-bedroom house in Tampa, Fla., where the couple and baby will live as one happy family.

The expectant mother has put Mayer --who couldn't be reached for comment --behind her. But she wants the lawsuit to go forward.

"I think people need to learn a lesson: because you're pre
gnant, they can't treat you like trash," she said.

Back