:mex:

10600a.jpg

Crystal Arguello and her family

10600b.jpg

Arguello

Arguello gets two life sentences for murdering wife and baby

Michael BeDan
The Aurora Daily Sun & Sentinel

BRIGHTON ' Sitting at times with his face in his hands ' other times looking ahead ' double-murderer Damian Michael Arguello, 27, received two life sentences Friday in Adams County.

Arguello strangled and stabbed his wife and 16-month-old son to death on Jan. 18 at their north-Aurora home. Crystal Arguello, 25, and
Rayve

n Arguello were killed in a bedroom of their home at 2501 Altura Blvd.

Damian Arguello pled guilty July 15 to two counts of first-degree murder, avoiding a trial and the death penalty.

Doug and Mary Lynn Schartzer, Crystal's parents and Rayven's grandparents, spoke
at the hearing before Judge C. Scott Crabtree read the sentence.

We loved them both dearly, Doug Schartzer said. " remember him saying 'Papa' on the phone for the first time back in October, before he was murdered.

Mary Lynn Schartzer said she will be haunted forever by the murders.

" can't express the anguish I have, she said. "'m still waiting for a phone call, waiting for (Crystal) to show up at my house. It's not going to happen.

The Schartzers live in Michigan and flew in for the sentencing. They now are raising their late daughter's two remaining children, a 6-year-old boy and a 7-year-old girl, both of whom witnessed the initial attack before fleeing to a neighbor's house.
<b
r>Damian A
rgue
llo declined an opportunity to speak at his sentencing. He admitted to police he had smoked crack cocaine the night of the murders.

Judge Crabtree said he was particularly disturbed by the murders.

" could not in my own mind begin to conceive h
ow or why anyone could do that, not only to a mother, but a completely innocent child, he said.

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/main.asp?Sec...ArticleID=10600 :mex:

Back