Memphis: FBI busts city council niggers!

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter
5751850_BG1.jpg

Rickey Peete (Memphis City Council)

5751850_BG2.jpg

Edmund Ford (Memphis City Council)

5751850_BG5.jpg

Joe Cooper

Two Memphis City Council members arrested on public corruption charges

Action News 5 has learned that Memphis City Council members Rickey Peete and Edmund Ford have been arrested on public corruption charges, alongside former Shelby County Quarterly Court member and sometimes lobbyist Joe Cooper. Cooper was also an aide to the late William B. Tanner, promiment Memphis businessman.

The two Council members are accused in federal complaints - following an investigation called "Operation Main Street Sweeper" - of taking bribes to forward favorable recommendations to the Land Use Control Board, or L.U.C.B., to repeal a moratorium on billboards on October 27th. Cooper is charged in a separate investigation called "Operation Clean Sweep" with money laundering with convicted drug dealers.

According to the complaint, Peete was paid $12, 000 at his office on three dates (September 12th, 20th and October 4th). Ford was paid $6,900 total at his mortuary.

An informant told FBI agents that he had lobbying relationships with both of the Council members, telling them that he would periodically make payments to the two for the purpose of buying influence. The informant reportedly assisted Ford in securing financing for his car and for his mortuary.

Both voted in favor of the proposal to repeal the moratorium following the bribes.

FBI agents plan to interview all of the other Council members about the charges. They have indicated that their investigation is ongoing.

Both Peete and Ford were scheduled for initial court appearances today. Cooper's appearance date is unknown. Peete was released on his own recognizance. His next appearance will be for a preliminary hearing on December 20th before Judge Allen. Ford has not yet appeared.

Both were arrested today and the FBI is currently going through Rickey Peete's home on N. Mclean. Sources tell us that agents have impounded his car.

FBI agents are also at Council member Joe Brown's house and office where, we understand, they are conducting interviews.

The FBI has called a 4 P.M. news conference to make the announcements. We will be streaming it live on our web site.

5950766_BG1.jpg

Rickey Peete

Attorney says racism involved in case against Peete

Memphis City Council member Rickey Peete's attorney called the corruption case against him racist Wednesday morning.

Speaking outside federal court after entering a "not guilty" plea, attorney Handel Durham, Jr. alleged racism in the corruption case against Peete.

"There has never been, in Memphis, Tennessee, a successful black man in this city that has not suffered some form of attack," he said. Yeah, but it usually from dey x-hoes, knowha'm'say'n.

The indictment against Peete alleges he accepted $14,500 in bribes. Fellow Council member Edmund Ford is accused of accepting almost $9,000 in bribes.

Durham alleged racism because of the large number of black elected officials that have been indicted in federal stings, including Operation Tennessee Waltz and Operation Main Street Sweeper.

"You have approximately 17 black leaders indicted," he said. "What do you think? I mean, what would a reasonable individual come to? They would have to say something." I would say niggers are corrupt, criminal and COONS, send them all back to Afreaka!

Former Shelby County Commission candidate Joe Cooper was also named in the complaint against Peete and Ford.

Edmund Ford chimps out--owes 19K in utility bills [Video at link]

Edmund Ford blows up over reports, scandal

In an impromptu tirade Tuesday against members of the Memphis media, the FBI and his colleagues on the Memphis City Council, Councilman Edmund Ford unleashed during a utility committee meeting at City Hall.

6186599_BG3.jpg

Citing mis-reporting on the part of the local media, Ford claimed to be in possession of utility bills that demonstrate he never owed the full $16k, over which he is said to be in arrears. Rather, he claimed, the utility had sent bills to the wrong address.

"You can look at my bill. I'm current on my business and I'm current on my house," he said.

He chided Council member and Mayoral aspirant Carol Chumney for publicly criticizing his failure to step down following recent federal indictments saying, "don't make me a punk" and demanding that she not make him a part of her campaign.

He threatened reporters with personal retaliation over alleged harassment of his wife, saying they were following her and warning that he would step out of his public role if he witnesses that. "Don't chase my wife," he repeated.

And he hinted that other elected officials should refrain from mentioning his name or talking about his recent circumstances as, he suggested, he knew things about them that would be incriminating.

You can watch the entire unedited video on WMCTV.COM.

Councilman Edmund Ford

LIKE FATHER LIKE SON.

FBI search warrant issued at Ford family home as part of criminal investigation, officials say​

Katherine Burgess
Memphis Commercial Appeal

MAY 25, 2023

Commissioner Dr. Edmund Ford, Jr. speaks Monday, Nov. 4, 2019, during a Shelby County Commission meeting at the Vasco A. Smith, Jr. County Administration Building in downtown Memphis.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation served a court-authorized search warrant Thursday at the family home of Shelby County Commissioner Edmund Ford Jr. and Memphis City Councilman Edmund Ford Sr.
The search warrant and the FBI’s presence at the address of 917 Summer Shade Lane was confirmed to The Commercial Appeal by Joel Siskovic, spokesperson for the FBI.
Siskovic said he could not share any other information regarding the nature of the search.
More:Edmund Ford Jr. is under investigation by special prosecutor in ethics inquiry
Jeff Ridner, assistant attorney general fo the 17th Judicial District of Tennessee, confirmed that the search was releated an ongoing criminal investigation into Ford Jr. precipitated by Ford ushering a $450,000 grant to the nonprofit Junior Achievement of Memphis and the Mid-South and then also selling them computers, a business interest he did not disclose.
More:Commissioner Ford Jr. ushered $450K grant to Memphis nonprofit, then sold it computers
That conflict of interest was first reported by The Commercial Appeal in 2020, with the criminal investigation beginning in spring 2021 after then-District Attorney General Amy Weirich recused herself and Attorney General Robert Carter of District 17 was appointed.
Councilman Edmund Ford Sr. listens to fellow staffers as they meet at City Hall downtown on Tuesday, May 18, 2021.

The address served Thursday is listed on City Councilman Edmund Ford Sr.’s petition to run for reelection. Ford Sr. and his wife own the property. Ford Jr. has also listed the address on financial disclosures as his campaign address as recently as August 2022. Ford Jr. also listed that address as his residence when seeking reelection last year.

Ford Jr. did not answer a phone call Thursday.

Ford Sr., reached by phone, said he was busy, but could talk later.
“I can’t comment on anything right now,” Ford Sr. said.

Katherine Burgess covers government and religion. She can be reached at katherine.burgess@commercialappeal.com or followed on Twitter @kathsburgess.

Back