Mayoral candidates son arrested

K

KY Orphan

Hendrix's son is arrested, jailed

He's due in court in assault case
October 11, 2005

BY SHAWN WINDSOR and MARYANNE GEORGE
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

The son of Detroit mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix was arrested early Monday on suspicion of domestic assault, a misdemeanor.

Ann Arbor police would not confirm the name of a 21-year-old Detroit man they arrested at 1:25 a.m. and took to the Washtenaw County Jail. But his father said that Stephen Hendrix, a business student at the University of Michigan, was arrested for domestic violence.

Freman Hendrix canceled campaigning Monday and today. His son is expected to be arraigned this morning. "This is a personal matter. This is a family matter,&qu

ot; Hendrix told reporters as he stood before his house in Detroit on Monday afternoon. "This must ta
ke precedence over my campaign."

Police would not release the arrest report or comment on the case because Stephen Hendrix had not been formally charged.

A police investigator who requested anonymity because the case is ongoing said the victim, an Eastern Michigan University student, alleged that Stephen Hendrix tried to force her to swallow a pill.

The misdemeanor charge indicates he used no weapon and did not seriously hurt the alleged victim.

As of late Monday, Hendrix said he hadn't spoken with his son.

When asked at a news conference in front of his home what he would tell his son, Hendrix said: "I'm going to give him a big hug. I'm going to tell him I love him. And I'm going to make sure he knows that his family is behind him 100%.&q
uot;

Hendrix refused to speculate whether the incident would hurt his campaign. Nor did he want to talk about Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's implication during last month's mayoral debat
e that somewhere in Hendrix's family was a criminal past.

"I have never been arrested," Kilpatrick said during the debate. "I have never come in contact with anybody in the criminal justice process, me or my family. I just want to know, can Mr. Hendrix say the same thing?"

Hendrix said Kilpatrick was desperate -- trailing his challenger by double digits in the polls -- and resented the insinuation. At that time, records showed no criminal cases involving Hendrix or his immediate family.

Hendrix said Monday he had little information about what happened with his son.

Kamau Marable, a Detroit political consultant, said he does not think the arrest will damage Hendrix's campaign.

"If there is any damage, I think it will b
e slight
," he said. "The way candidate Hendrix is handling it will mitigate the damage. He's being forthright. ... Where you get hurt as a candidate is if you try to cover something up."

Hendrix himself broke the news of his son's arrest, when he iss
ued a news release. Officials at the jail said the reason Hendrix couldn't visit his son Monday was policy requiring visitors to register 48 hours in advance.

Give him a big hug? I'd be ready to kick his ass for acting an idiot while I was trying to get elected. How freaking sad is it that this is the kind of candidates that Detroit voters have to choose between for mayor?

Back