Maori cop wanted sex for letting her off

William of the White Hand

Junior News Editor
I saw him on TV last night as he and his wife went hand-in-hand into court followed by a large group of supporters - "probably women he had had sex with in exchange for sex". LOL

Woman taped cop's 'R18' offer court told
Last updated 05:00 07/05/2013

8639085.jpg

HAYDEN BRADLEY: The 30-year-old Whanganui police constable denies a charge of corruption and bribery of a law enforcement officer.

A policeman has denied asking a motorist for "R18" favours in return for letting her off driving charges.

In the High Court at New Plymouth yesterday, Whanganui constable Hayden Clifford Bradley, 30, denied one count of corruption and bribery of a law enforcement officer.

Crown solicitor Cherie Clarke told the jury of seven women and five men the accused had stopped the complainant in her car, and then let her go.

In the following days Bradley made inquiries about the woman using the police computer system and visiting her former home, ex-partner and parents, and later picking her up and suggesting they do "R18 stuff".

Ms Clarke said she would call 15 witnesses, the first being the complainant, who has interim name suppression.

Bradley's lawyer Susan Hughes, QC, said it was important the jury paid particular attention to the recorded conversation between the complainant and Bradley.

"Nothing sought, nothing offered, and you will have very little trouble returning a verdict of not guilty," she said.

Giving evidence, the complainant said Bradley had pulled her up and they had recognised each other.

Despite having been disqualified from driving the previous year, she told him she had a licence and he let her leave.

Later he called her mother's house and spoke to her on the phone, saying he had found out she was a disqualified driver and suggesting there might be a way to avoid prosecuting her.

"He said 'I should probably take you through the courts'."

He had then "ummed and aahed" about what they were going to do about it, she said.

"I was just confused. I thought he might be letting me off with a warning but I wasn't sure. It was a very weird conversation."

When she asked if he wanted her to go to the police station he said it depended if she had a partner and how many people she had told about it.

"It was along the lines of 'I need something personal from you so I know you're not going to tell anybody that I've let you off'."

She said he wanted to meet instead of sort it out over the phone.

"It felt like it was sexual," she said.

Later she got the number of a police officer she had met and spoke to him. As a result Detective Senior Sergeant Dave Kirby rang her and asked her to go to the police station and make a formal statement.

She did this and also consented to have her communications with Bradley recorded.

On February 6 she got a text from Bradley asking if they could meet at 11pm that night. They organised that he would pick her up from a bar.

Before she went to meet him she rang Mr Kirby and did not hang up, putting her phone in her pocket so the meeting could be taped.

The Crown played the recording of the meeting as evidence and during the conversation Bradley could be heard asking for something personal from the woman and saying the nature of what he was suggesting was "R18".

Bradley asked: "Do you mind if from here to there you play with them?"

"Play with what?" she replied.

"With each other."

The woman said Bradley pointed to both of their genital areas.

When Ms Hughes put it to the woman that she had continued the conversation after Bradley had said "yeah, I think we'll just leave it at that", she said she knew she was being recorded and was acting.

"I'm dropping you off aren't I?" Bradley asked.

"OK, but what's happening on the way?" the woman said.

"Nothing."

"So then what are we sorting?"

"I thought we were sorted."

The woman also said her directions from Mr Kirby had been not to offer Bradley anything.

"It felt like he was using the position he had and the power he had in that position to get sexual things out of me. He confirmed my suspicions when he put the offers out there."

Mr Kirby confirmed he had instructed her in that manner.

"I said it was better if Mr Bradley told her what he wanted."

The trial continues.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/8639310/Woman-taped-cops-R18-offer-court-told

Back