Senior News Editor since 2004

Man slugs MTA cleaner in the face inside Queens subway station, cops say​

By
Tina Moore and

Amanda Woods

May 24, 2022 9:24am
Updated

main-street-mta-worker-assault-02.jpg
The worker was standing near the booth at the Main Street station on the 7 line around 2:15 a.m. when a man approached and asked for the time. Tamara Beckwith

A man punched a female MTA cleaner in the face inside a Queens subway station early Tuesday, authorities said.
The 64-year-old worker was standing near the booth at the Main Street station on the 7 line in Flushing around 2:15 a.m. when a 38-year-old man approached and asked for the time, cops said.
When the cleaner turned to check, the suspect suddenly socked her in the face, police said.
She was treated on scene, and the assailant was taken into custody with charges pending, cops said.
Earlier this month, two MTA conductors were assaulted and one was robbed in separate incidents in Queens and the Bronx.
The NYPD’s latest statistics, updated Sunday, reveal that the city’s subway system has seen a combined 57.5% increase in the seven major crime categories so far this year, compared to 2021.
Felony assaults are up nearly 20%. from 205 to 245, according to the report.
Main Street 7 station.When the cleaner turned to check the time, the suspect suddenly punched her in the face.Tamara Beckwith Subway train.Two MTA conductors were assaulted and one was robbed earlier this month.Dennis A. Clark
Fifteen people were shot in six separate incidents on the rails so far this year – including the terrifying April 12 shooting spree on an N train at the 36th Street stop in Sunset Park.
Ten people were shot and 19 others hurt when Frank James allegedly set off smoke bombs on a rush-hour train and began shooting.
There have been four murders in the subway system, year-to-date.

The most recent murder on the rails happened on Sunday, when 48-year-old Daniel Enriquez was blasted in the chest – unprovoked – on a Manhattan-bound N train approaching Canal Street.

Police are looking to question Andrew Abdullah, who has 19 prior arrests, in connection to the cold-blooded slaying.

Last edited:
BLACK-ON-Hispanic-WHITE: BLACK Suspect in Unprovoked N.Y.C. Subway Shooting Arrested Following Fatal Weekend Attack
?Hell Fire
BLACK SUSPECT
?Hell Fire
5x150-spacer.jpg
victim name

Police arrested Andrew Abdullah, 25, Tuesday in connection to the shooting death of 46-year-old Daniel Enriquez, a Goldman Sachs employee, police officials confirm.

Enriquez was on the Q train near the Canal Street station when he was shot in the chest around 11:45 a.m. He later died at the hospital.

Charges are pending. The Legal Aid Society, which is representing Abdullah, released a statement after he was taken into custody.

"He is presumed innocent and entitled to counsel and a robust defense," according to the statement, NBC New York reported. "At this preliminary moment in the case, we caution New Yorkers from rushing to judgment, as we are just beginning our investigation and reviewing evidence. Mr. Abdullah deserves vigorous representation from his defense counsel and that is what The Legal Aid Society will provide."

According to witness reports, the shooting happened "without provocation." The suspect had been walking back and forth in the subway car when he took out a gun and fired it at close range. As the train pulled into the station the suspect fled.

Enriquez lived in Park Slope and was heading to brunch in Manhattan when the shooting occurred, The New York Times reported. The man had been avoiding the subway for most of the pandemic due to fear for his health, his sister, Griselda Vile, said in an interview.

(Black-on-White)

Suspect in NYC subway shooting Andrew Abdullah charged with murder​

By
Reuven Fenton,

Joe Marino,

Tina Moore and

Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

May 24, 2022 1:52pm
Updated

Andrew Abdullah in custody following subway slaying of Daniel Enriquez

The career criminal sought in the subway shooting death of Goldman Sachs employee Daniel Enriquez last weekend was busted by cops Tuesday, as a minister and his attorneys were negotiating his surrender at a Chinatown stationhouse, according to police sources and his lawyers.
Andrew Abdullah, 25, was hit with second-degree murder and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon in the 11:42 a.m. shooting aboard a Manhattan-bound Q train on Sunday morning, police said at a briefing.
“I’m glad for the city,” the slain man’s partner Adam Pollack said Tuesday after learning of the bust. “It doesn’t change anything for me, though. I don’t get any relief.”
The suspect in the fatal Q-train shooting sat in a Rolls Royce outside the 5th Precinct Tuesday while negotiating his surrender. Andrew Abdullah, 25, turned himself in at the 5th Precinct in Chinatown after negotiating his surrender through a Brooklyn pastor.New York Police Department via AP
Abdullah sought to turn himself in to Mayor Eric Adams in negotiations through a Brooklyn bishop — who showed up at the 5th Precinct in a Rolls Royce Tuesday afternoon. But he was instead nabbed by cops at the Legal Aid Society offices in Manhattan when the talks were going on, police sources and the society said.
00:00
1_th.jpg

Abdullah had been on the lam since the Sunday morning shooting on the last car of the train.

“A killer is off our streets,” Adams said.

Wanted poster.Andrew Abdullah had been on the lam since the Sunday morning shooting.Paul Martinka
At a press briefing Tuesday, NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig said the gunman was “pacing back and forth inside the train car muttering to himself” before the shooting.

“The only distinguishable words heard were, ‘no phones,'” Essig said. “The male suddenly and without any prior interactions or provocation walked up to our victim… and shot him one time in the chest.”

Abdullah was initially identified as a person of interest in shooting by sources earlier this week, before his surrender and charging Tuesday.

Emergency responders on the train.Daniel Enriquez’s family lashed out at City Hall over runaway violence in the five boroughs and the city’s transit system.Michael Dalton
After his bust, Abdullah’s lawyers complained about how he was while negotiations were still going on.

“Before Andrew Abdullah could voluntarily surrender himself to the local precinct, he was needlessly ambushed out front of our Manhattan trial office by City Marshals, denied of his opportunity to first consult with counsel,” legal aid said in a statement.

“Since last night we have been actively speaking with the New York Police Department and the New York County District Attorney’s Office to negotiate his surrender, and what transpired today was completely inappropriate and unwarranted given those conversations,” it said.

Bishop Lamor Whitehead, a controversial Big Apple clergyman, told reporters outside the precinct that he was “startled” when “eight officers, guns drawn, ran by me and made [Abdullah} get on the floor.

“This man is innocent,” Whitehead said of Abdullah. “His family has untold paperwork showing that he has mental health issues. As he states, he doesn’t remember anything.

Daniel Enriquez.Daniel Enriquez had only recently started taking the subway to work due to a surge in Uber pricing.

“I pray that the courts do the right thing with this young man,” the bishop said. “But as per him wanting to turn himself in, I don’t believe he’s a villain.”

Whitehead said he reached out to the mayor’s office trying to negotiate a peaceful surrender before police arrested Abdullah.

“Mayor Adams, we’ve been in contact all morning and he was ready to be here for the young man to be turned in,” he said outside the stationhouse.

“I wish the police department would have done it a little different and allowed what pastors do. This is what we do,” the bishop said. “And this really hurts me because I thought we had a relationship, right?

“And I understand the seriousness of the crime — the alleged crime. But we have to have a segue. We have to have a segue between the community and the police department. And I want to thank the mayor for understanding and being a great support for this young man turning himself in.”

Whitehead has made headlines before for his close ties to Mayor Adams. Whitehead himself has a criminal record for identity fraud and grand larceny, he has also been accused of pushing bogus youth mentoring programs. Adams nevertheless stood by Whitehead when asked about him in 2016.

Police said the shooting happened after gunman paced back and forth on the last car of the train and then pulled a gun and shot Enriquez once in the chest.

The victim was rushed to Bellevue Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

NYPD spokesman John Miller also confirmed Tuesday that cops had stopped Abdullah as he fled the station — but let him go because he had changed his appearance and did not fit the description of the shooter.

“‘Why are you stopping me?'” Miller says the accused shooter told the cop. “‘I didn’t do anything,’ and so forth. They radio back. They get the description of the black hoodie. They document the stop and there’s nothing to connect him to that.

“Later, when we get that picture that you saw yesterday you see the sweatpants, the sneakers, the hoodie and underneath it you can see this orange or red shirt,” he said. “And the transit officer looked t that and says, ‘That’s got to be the guy I stopped.'”

In the wake of the senseless shooting, Enriquez’s family lashed out at City Hall over runaway violence in five boroughs and the Big Apple transit system.

“I wish you guys would go back to Mayor Adams and tell him the city is not safe,” the dead man’s sister, Griselda Vile, told The Post. “My brother just became a statistic on the way to the city. He was shot at close range.”

Daniel Enriquez on a stretcher.“My brother just became a statistic on the way to the city,” Daniel Enriquez’s sister said.Michael Dalton
Abdullah, who has at least 19 arrests in more than a dozen incidents since 2015, fled the Canal Street station after the shooting and had been the subject of a police manhunt.

He had been freed after a stolen car bust in April, despite Brooklyn prosecutors asking that he be held on $15,000 bail.

“The most basic purpose of the criminal justice system is to keep people safe and in the only state in our nation where a judge is not allowed to consider dangerousness when sending bail,” Adams said at the briefing.

Suspect images.Police said the gunman paced back and forth on the last car of the train before he pulled a gun and shot Daniel Enriquez once in the chest.New York City Police Department via AP
“This was another, yet another failure of that system,” the mayor said. “And now Daniel Enriquez is gone. His family and loved ones are suffering and they rightfully want to know why.”

Adams sidestepped questions about his relationship with Whitehead, a controversial figure who once served a five-year prison term for fraud and grand larceny before being released in 2013.

“Well, we always encourage, particularly the religious leaders, I have a good relationship with many of the religiously throughout the city,” he said. “And when it was placed on my radar, that this person wanted to turn themselves in, I communicated with law enforcement because it’s about getting the bad guy off the street.

“That’s what we did,” he said. “And all that participated in assisting us to do so.”

Asked about the bishops claims that he was on the phone with the mayor, Adams referred questions to prosecutors because “this is an active case.”

Pollack, Enriquez’s live-in partner, told The Post Monday that Enriquez had only recently started taking the subway to work due to a surge in Uber pricing.

Enriquez’s live-in partner, Adam Pollack, told The Post Monday that Enriquez had only recently started taking the subway to work due to a surge in Uber pricing.

Pollack, 54, said his partner of 18 years typically traveled to his job at Goldman Sachs four days a week and liked to venture into Manhattan on Sundays for brunch and to shoot pool with friends at a local watering hole.

Bishop Lamor Whitehead arrives at the 5th Precinct to negotiate Abdullah's surrender.Bishop Lamor Whitehead arrives at the 5th Precinct to negotiate Abdullah’s surrender.Robert Miller
“He was going to brunch,” he said of Enriquez. “It’s just so random.”

Police released surveillance photos of the gunman following the shooting.

The killer fled after the 11:42 a.m. incident, handing the murder weapon off to a homeless man when he reached Centre Street before running off.

Cops said the homeless man then sold the weapon — a 9mm Luger — to another vagrant in exchange for $10 worth of crack cocaine — with that man then turning the gun over to police.

Essig said the gun had been reported stolen from Virginia in 2019.

On Tuesday, police sources said tests on that gun positively identified it as the weapon that killed Enriquez on the subway train.

Accused Q train killer Andrew Abdullah indicted for murder of Goldman Sachs employee​

By
Georgett Roberts and

Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

June 15, 2022 5:35pm
Updated

Accused Q train killer Andrew Abdullah arraigned on murder indictment

The deranged gunman accused of randomly killing a Goldman Sachs employee on a Manhattan subway train was arraigned on a murder indictment Wednesday, even as his lawyer claims prosecutors have no proof.
Andrew Abdullah, 25, was indicted on second-degree murder in the May 22 shooting death of Daniel Enriquez aboard a Manhattan-bound Q train, police said.
He was ordered held without bail pending a return court appearance on July 13.
Abdullah, wearing an orange jail jumpsuit and with his hands cuffed behind his back, pleaded not guilty to the charges in a soft voice before Manhattan Judge Gregory Carro.
“My relationship with him so far, he’s a very soft-spoken man,” defense lawyer Kristin Bruan told reporters outside the courthouse.
1_th.jpg

00:01 01:17

Andrew Abdullah’s lawyer, Kristin Bruan, speaking outside court after her client was indicted on murder charges

“It’s curious to me that we have five people that can’t identify him despite being on the train, and the district attorney has not given me a shred of evidence,” Bruan said, adding that her client needs “medical and psychiatric attention, and it’s not being fulfilled.”

“I personally witnessed five people in lineups and no identity,” she said. “Personally, the hardest part is the public assuming guilt because the police said that they got him.”

Witnesses told police that Abdullah was pacing back and forth in the last car of the train around 11:42 a.m. when he suddenly pulled a gun and opened fire as the subway crossed over the Manhattan Bridge.

EMS works onDaniel EnriquezDaniel Enriquez, 48, was taking the subway to go meet his friends for brunch when he was shot and killed in the attack. Michael Dalton Andrew Abdullah in courtFive witnesses were unable to identify Andrew Abdullah as the gunman, despite all of them being on the train, according to his attorney.Steven Hirsch
Enriquez, 48, was on his way to meet friends for Sunday brunch when he was gunned down in the unprovoked attack.

Police said the killer then got off the train at Canal Street and fled.

In a bizarre twist, cops said Abdullah allegedly handed off the Luger 9 mm handgun to a homeless man as he ran from the station — who sold it to another vagrant.

The second homeless man turned the weapon into police.

Enriquez’s partner, Adam Pollack, said the slain straphanger had only recently begun taking the subway to work and weekly outings with friends after Uber raised its fees.

Daniel EnriquezEnriquez had only recently started taking the subway again.Family handout

Abdullah was arrested three days later outside the Manhattan offices of the Legal Aid Society after he tried unsuccessfully to surrender to Mayor Eric Adams through a controversial minister.

“Daniel Enriquez’s vibrant life was brutally cut short in a flash of violence that shocked our city,” Bronx District Attorney Alvin Bragg said in a statement Wednesday.

“My heart goes out to Mr. Enriquez’s loved ones as they continue to mourn the death of a cherished son, brother, partner and so much more,” Bragg said. “I want to assure them, and all New Yorkers, that we will stop at nothing to ensure accountability for this terrible crime, and make sure our subways are safe for all.”

Abdullah was arraigned on murder charges after his arrest, with the case later presented to a grand jury, which voted to indict him on the charges.

Back