Killen: "NOT GUILTY"

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter
Key suspect in '64 killings planning fair appearance

Visitors to next month's Mississippi State Fair may gawk at their reflections in the Fun House, witness the Mississippi State Championship Mule Pull or shake hands with the key suspect in the Klan's 1964 killings of three civil rights workers.

Learned lawyer Richard Barrett, who heads the white supremacist organization known as the Nationalist Movement, said Edgar Ray Killen has agreed to make an appearance at his organization's booth in the Agricultural Building. Barr
tt plans to gather signatures there in support of Killen, who is under investigation but has never faced state murder charges in the June 21, 1964, deaths of James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schw
erner

"He can possibly
sign autographs and meet the crowd," said Barrett, whose booth will be between those for the secretary of state's office and the Mississippi Library Commission.

Killen could not be reached for comment.

Killen, who at 79 still preaches and chops wood at his Union home, was among 18 Mississippi men who went on trial in 1967 on federal conspiracy charges. Testimony described Killen as the Klan leader who coordinated the details of the killings that night

No Bush Turning Mississippi into Abu Ghraib
National Public Radio - Tavis Smiley Show

Tavis Smiley: From NPR in Los Angeles, I'm Tavis Smiley. This is how it read in the Clarion-Ledger newspaper earlier this week: "Visitors to next month's Mississippi State Fair may gawk at their reflections in the fun house, witness the state championship mule pull or shake hands with the key suspect in the Ku Klux Klan 1964 killers of three civil rights workers." The paper was reporting on a booth at the fair in which Edgar Ray Killen will sign autographs and ask for support to clea
his name of possible charges in the murders of James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner in Philadelphia, Mississippi some forty years ago. Richard Barrett is the man who is setting it all up. He
is General-Counsel of The Nationalist Movement, an organization
which says that minorities receive preferential treatment to the detriment of the white society. Mr. Barrett, granted Edgar Ray Killen was not one of the seven convicted of the murders. It's reported, thanks to a single juror, who said she could never convict a preacher. But asking folks to come for his autograph and signing a card featuring the three murdered man, I guess, to some, that may seem a bit insensitive.

Richard Barrett: Some people called for O. J. Simpson to be re-prosecuted and he was guilty, but Edgar Ray Killen was not convicted and we do have a Sixth Amendment, which requires a speedy trial, not after forty years, and a Seventh Amendment, which says that no fact tried by a jury will ever be reexamined in any c
ourt in the United States. And Edgar Ray Killen and myself and many other Americans are not going to allow George W. Bush to turn Mississippi into an Abu Ghraib. We're just not going to do it, becau
se we have justice and freedom in this country. And, after forty year
s, maybe the discussion coming out of all of this will reassess the invasion of Mississippi in 1964, supposedly to put minorities in over the majority. Perhaps, today, we might decide it's better to have majority rule. And, that's what it's all about.

Smiley: Does it actually concern you, though, that the families of the deceased are insulted by your actions here?

Barrett: Well, I know that they've been insulted by such things as saying that you have to be qualified to have a job and they want a job they can't perform, they want to be in schools, where they can't learn. They want to be forced into neighborhoods, where they're not wanted. But freedom does insult tyranny and I'm glad th
at it does.

Smiley: What do you hope to accomplish by this booth?

Barrett: Several things. One is that Edgar Ray Killen has fought Communism for forty years and we'll
just thank the man. And, we want to remind Attorney-General Jim Hood and John Ashcroft -- I met Hood and I
reminded him -- of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights -- and I said, "Back off." You mention these people who are complaining and, of course, the FBI is trying to dredge up this case. You've, also, heard of "voodoo economics?" Well, they're talking about "voodoo justice." That's what "Papa Doc" Duvallier did. He'd dig up the bones of his enemies and scatter them around. We don't do that in America. What we're going to do here, instead of just listening to more lies from the Bush Administration, we're going to be listening to people who are milking cows, planting cotton and riding horses. We're going to come down, on the grass-roots l
evel, and sign this petition supporting Edgar Ray Killen. And, by the way, anyone else may sign it by going to Nationalist.org and clicking on Petition. They may sign it, too.

Smil
ey: What would you do if the Attorney-General in your State of Mississippi decided to prosecute Mr. Killen on the state level?

Barrett: You've heard the term, Th
e Empire Strikes Back? Well, this is going to be, The Magnolia State Strikes Back. And, it's not just going to be the people of Mississippi, it's going to be Americans everywhere, who say that we've had enough of the affirmative-action juries, we've had enough of the quotas and the bussing. The only reason they want to bring it back is -- and they disregard the Constitution -- because they say that now they'll have Negro juries and that will be "wonderful justice." Do you know what they remind me of? The Stalinist-Berea trials, the show-trials, in Russia. We don't need Communism and we don't need voodoo-ju
stice in the United States of America.

Smiley: We have about thirty seconds left here. You ran for Governor, but some would suggest that your time has come and gone, yet you co
ntinue to fly the colors of the white-supremacy flag and "hate." Tell me why.

Barrett: You're certainly wrong and in your initial introduction you were wrong. We're here to serve the interests of th
e majority of the American people and that's what we're doing. We fly the flag of the United States of America. I am a twice-wounded Vietnam War veteran and, as I say, the fight against Communism didn't just go on against Ho Chi Minh, it now goes on against the Goodmans and the Chaneys and the Schwerners. And, I predict like Killen did. They asked him. They said, "What's going to be the future of Communism and integration in this country?" and he quoted R. G. Lee, in a sermon, where he said, Payday's Coming. And it is. It's red-white-and-blue.

Smiley
: Richard Barrett is the General-Counsel of The Nationalist Movement. Mr. Barrett, thank you for your time.

Barrett: Thank you, Tavis.

Richard Barrett FO' PRESIDENT!

Controversy at State Fair

With the Mississippi State Fair less than two weeks away, controversy is heating up over a white supremacy group possibly hosting a booth at the fair. One Jackson leader says folks should stay away from the booth and the fair, but fair organizers say the event has more to offer than controversy.

"Why not say no to the Ku Klux Klan, you can't have a booth at the fair grounds?,"said Jackson City Councilman Kenneth Stokes on Sunday as vendors set up for the fair. "We're asking the Agriculture Commission and Dr. Spell to reconsider all
wing a hate group to have a booth at the state fair."

State Fair Executive Director Mike Brinkley says as of Sunday Richard Barrett, member of the white supremacist Nnationalist Movement
, has not reserved a space at the state fair. Thursday is the last day to reg
ister.

"My understanding, just from different groups, is that they're gonna have a picture of the civil rights workers there and the man who is supposed to have killed them, I should say murdered them...will be there," said Stokes.

Brinkley says Edgar Ray Killen, tried in 1967 on charges relating to the murder of 3 civil rights workers, has not applied for an identification badge, required to sit inside a booth. But if Barrett, Killen, or the Nationalist Movement were to apply, Brinkley says, "we have to give him a booth. The attorney general's office made a ruling from the 1st amendment."

Stokes and fellow speakers called for a boycot
t of the fair. "It's time to wake up and get some sense in your head and stay away from this fair," said Percy Crockett.

Bbrinkley says "the worst thing to do is stay awa
y; that's what this man [Barrett]wants; he's winning."

The fair commission could lose big. As a specially funded agency, Brinkley says if th
e agency doesn't bring in the more than half million dollars the fair costs, this could be Mississippi's last state fair.

If the Nationalist Movement sets up a booth, folks in Jackson have mixed feelings about going to the fair.

"As far as me going to the fair, it won't stop it becuase I'm not there going for that. I think it's silly," said Dolly Moore of Jackson.

"It's hard to say really," said Russell, who would not give his last name.

"I'd definitely go to the fair, but I won't go to his booth," said Dave Uecker of Jackson.

Brinkley says the State Fair
Commission can decide the placement of booths at the fair. He also says no petitions will be allowed, and information booths will not be allowed to distribute pamplets on the midway.

Richar
d Barrett could not be reached for comment.

Stokes and fellow speakers called for a boycott of the fair. "It's time to wake up and get some sense in your head and stay away from this fair," said Pe
rcy Crockett.

White "Supremacists" Want Booth at Mississippi State Fair Featuring Suspect in 1964 Slayings

A white-supremacist organization is seeking permission to have a booth at next month's state fair featuring a suspect in the 1964 slayings of three civil rights workers. The state Fair Commission rejected the http://www.nationalist.org/ application to operate a booth at the fair because of "typographical errors," but gave the group until Thursday to resubmit its request, said Richard Barrett, the organization's leader.

In the meantime, State Assistant Attorney General Bob Graves said the Fair Commission and state officials would meet to discuss whether Edgar Ray Killen would be permitted to attend. Barrett said he
wanted to hold a petiti
on drive at the fair in support of Killen
, and that Killen had agreed to participate. Representatives of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and other local leaders gathered at Mississippi's agriculture department Monday to protest the possibility of Killen's inclusion.

Edgar Ray Killen was acquited just like OJ. How can anybody even think of not allowing Edgar Ray Killen to have a booth at the fair?

T.N.B.

"There's nothing he likes better than the attention he's getting over the last few days," McMillin said of Barrett. "So, we're going to ask you to come by our booth and sign a petition to reopen the case."

McMillin said the petition will then be sent to state Attorney General Jim Hood, who has said he will decide on whether to reopen the case as early as next month.

And they just may pull it off. Retry him and this time get a conviction. A liberal all white jury will make sure of it. Can't have folks thinking they let a racist get off with murdering a couple of k*kes and a splib.

And they just may pull it off. Retry him and this time get a conviction. A liberal all white jury will make sure of it. Can't have folks thinking they let a racist get off with murdering a couple of k*kes and a splib.

It will never happen. The United States Constitution guarantees a quick and speedy trial. These niggers are just trying to intimidate Reverend Killen and Mr Barrett along with the rest of the white race.

T.N.B

White Supremacist Group Granted Booth At State Fair

A white supremacist group has officially received permission to set up at this year's state fair.

Nationalist Movement Official Richard Barrett and the Fair Commission reached an agreement Tuesday morning. The booth will feature a petition supporting Edgar Ray Killen, a prime suspect in the 1964 civil rights murders in Neshoba County. It has sparked outrage around the metro area.

Organizers say the fair is about much more than one person. Now that the Nationalists booth is a done deal, fair officials hope
the talk will sway toward normal fair noises, rather than the noise displayed this week in opposition to the Nationalist Movement.

Fair organizer Mike Brinkley said,"We put a lot of time and ef
fort to bring to the State of Mississippi and we don't need to
let this one individual come in here and ruin it for us." Still, African American groups are skeptical of Edgar Ray Killen and what he might have done to three civil rights workers in the 1960s.

Derrick Johnson of the NAACP said, "I do not want my children around an individual who I believe is a murderer but I think that's a personal choice." Hinds County Malcolm Mcmillin said, "What we need to do is go and ignore him." But Hinds County Sheriff Malcolm Mcmillin says by not going to the fair, people will be playing into the hands of the organizer of Killen's appearance Richard Barrett. Mcmillin said, "We're going to ask you to come to the fair and come by the Sheriff's Office booth
and sign a petition urging the attorney general of the State of Mississippi to reopen the case against Mr. Killen."

Johnson says Mcmillin has the right idea, but remains firm in his stance.&
quot;If you're offended by an individual like Edgar Ray Killen being at the fair, then don't attend." This sets up a
potential nightmare for fair organizers over the next few weeks. Brinkley said, "If we stay outside the gates, we don't come in, then he's won."

Officials say the fair is not about winning and losing, but about having fun. Fair organizer Mike Brinkley says he's more worried about the weather driving away fairgoers than Barrett and Killen. We tried to contact Richard Barrett for comment, but our call was not returned.

Derrick Johnson of the N
AACP said, "I do not want my children around an individual who I believe is a murderer but I think that's a personal choice."

orace.gif

Blacks were 7 times more likely than whites to commit homicide in 2002

How is you going to hide yo chilluns from niggers, being dat you and yo chilluns is niggers too.

T.N.B.

Booths at fair to center on '64 slayings

Two petitions at the Mississippi State Fair next month will compete on opposite sides of a 4-decade-old civil rights slayings case.

Richard Barrett, the head of a white supremacist group, was allowed a booth and his petition at the fair Tuesday, the same day Hinds County Sheriff Malcolm McMillin said he will counter with a different petition at his booth.

Barrett, the leader of the Nationalist Movement, is asking for signatures in support of Edgar Ray Killen, who is under investigation but has ne
er faced state murder charges in the June 21, 1964, slayings of civil rights workers James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner in Neshoba County.

McMillin said his petition will seek support
for reopening the murder conspiracy case against Kil
len.

Barrett said he has a commitment from Killen to appear at his organization's booth in the Industrial Building on Oct. 9.

Killen did not return messages The Clarion-Ledger left at his home Tuesday.

The state Fair Commission approved Barrett's contract to have a booth and solicit signatures for his petition after commission officials originally said they would not allow him to have the booth because his application was not properly filled out.

"His booth will be there, and the only opinion we have is that our minds are focused on putting on the best state fair we've seen," said Mike Brinkley, state fair director.

State Attorney General Jim Hood said officials realized Tuesday that the necessar
y information was on Barrett's application, just in the wrong place.

"I don't agree with the message Barrett intends to convey," Hood said. &quo
t;But I knew that if we took this to court, we'd lose. He has his right to do this."

The fair runs Oct.
6-17 at the state fairgrounds in Jackson.

"We think the position we need to take in this is to encourage people to come out to the fair," McMillin said. "Bring folks with you. Let's not let (Barrett) hijack this fair ... One clown don't stop the show."

Directing his comments to the sheriff, Barrett said, "Our petition will whup your petition."

Hood, who is researching the possibility of seeking murder indictments in the case, said all "this hoopla will not affect my decision to reopen the case. It will be based on evidence and the law

Mayor Johnson Takes Stand In Fair Booth Controversy

Their message spreads hate and is a danger to fairgoers, so the Mayor of Jackson doesn't want them around.

Mayor Harvey Johnson wants the State Fair Commission not to allow the white supremacist group, Nationalist Movement, from setting up a booth at the fair this year.

Johnson is a member of the Fair Commission, which has already approved the Movement's application.

Attorney General Jim Hood has said he doesn't believe the Commission can legally prevent the group, headed by Richard Barrett, f
om having a booth.

Barrett's booth will include a petition supporting Edgar Ray Killen, whose suspected of orchestrating the murder of three civil rights workers in 1964.

No on
e has never been charged.

Johnson says he's concerned for the safety of
fairgoers.

He doesn't believe this message is a good representation of Mississippi or Jackson.

Johnson is sending a letter to the Commission requesting a formal hearing on this issue.

Agriculture Commissioner Lester Spell, who is the Chairman of the Fair Commission, responded by saying once the commission receives Johnson's letter it will address the issue.

He had no further comment.

Johnson says he's concerned for the safety of fairgoers

Well, being in Jackson Mississippi, I'd be concerned for the safety of fairgoers too because niggers murder at seven times the rate of whites&#
33;

orace.gif

Reference:

mayor.jpg

Mayor's Welcome Statement

Wake up America and smell the negro!

T.N.B.

PHOTO: Neshoba County Sheriff Deputy Cecil Price holds a copy of the Meridian Star as he awaits the verdict in the murder trial of three civil rights workers in Meridian, Miss., Oct. 19, 1967. Price was convicted on conspiracy charges along with six other defendants. At left is Edgar Ray Killen, one of 18 defendants whose case ended in mistrial. Photo by The Associated Press.

n200409306.jpg

White supremacists secure booth at state fair (09/30/200
)

The Mississippi State Fair is a good place to enjoy delicious carnival food like smoked turkey legs and funnel cakes, and rides like the Fireball.

The fair also comes complete with award
s and displays highlighting some of the best talent the state

Barrett cancels state fair booth

After stirring a torrent of controversy, the leader of the white supremacist Nationalist Movement has canceled his plans for a booth at the state fair.

"He won't be there," Mississippi State Fair Director Mike Brinkley said Friday.

Barrett pulled the plug on the booth Friday evening, after learning that Edgar Ray Killen

Barrett Pulls Out

2377024_BG3.jpg

2377024_BG4.jpg

2377024_BG5.jpg

Former Ku Klux Klan leader Edgar Ray Killen will not make an appearance at the state fair next week after all. His wife, Betty Jo Killen, told WLBT News Friday that her husband never told Nationalist Movement leader Richard Barrett that
e would attend the fair. Barrett has been saying exactly the opposite.

Killen apparently never told Barrett he would attend the fair, according to his wife, Betty Jo. She told WLBT News, "He
has nothing to do with the booth (at the fair). That is Richard Barrett's doing. Richard Barrett wanted publicity, and he got plenty."

Mike Brinkley, executive director of the fair,
and Hinds County Sheriff Malcolm McMillin reacted to the news.

No Fair Booth for Barrett, Killen

He said a former klansman would appear at his booth at the state fair. Now the leader of the Nationalist Party says he's backing out, but the whole episode may have been nothing more than a scam for publicity.

The 10 Commandments are posted outside Preacher Edgar Ray Killen's home in Union, Mississippi. The alleged Ku Klux Klansmen is under investigation for the 1964 slayings of three civil rights workers.

In an interview with WLBT, Betty Jo Killen, his wife said, "My husband is a good man, you won't find one better no where. I
hink he's been unfairly treated."

After weeks of speculation neither Killen nor Richard Barrett, a Nationalist movement leader, will have a booth at the state fair.

Mike Brinkley, Ex
ecutive Director of the Fair, said, "As of 4:05 this Friday afternoon, Mr.Ba
rrett contacted the Mississippi State Fair commission and at that time he announce he was cancelling the booth."

Officials are relieved. Mayor Harvey Johnson, in a written statement said, "So many people were upset and outraged by the divise message of hate this booth would have brought, and the public safety issue was a real concern of mine. I believe we have progressed too far in Jackson and in our state, and it's regrettable that a few people with espouse extremist, hateful ideology would try to divide us."

Brinkley said, "He said him and his board, since the preacher couldn't be there and he and his board met and therefore decided to cancel."

Mrs.Killen says they nev
er planned on going. "We're not going to the fair, we have no intention. My husband had nothing to do with getting the booth that was Richard Barrett....I don't know why he did it, I don&#39
;t know why he wanted publicity. He got his publicity but at my husbands expense."

Mrs.Killen says she would have liked to hear
the choir sing at the fair, but after the controversy...she'll be staying home.

Seven klansmen were convicted of federal civil rights violations in the 1964 slayings. There were no state charges and no one served more than six years.

Yep, this is Mrs. Killen's doing alright.

T.N.B.

Civil Rights Groups Challenge State Fair Commission

Even though a white supremacist group won't have a booth at the fair, members of the NAACP and Southern Christian Leadership Conference are upset at the Fair Commission.

The groups say fair officials didn't properly discuss allowing a booth to the Nationalist Movement headed by, Richard Barrett. NAACP President Derrick Johnson says the commission should have tried to discourage Barrett from opening up the booth. SCLC member Stephanie Parker Weaver wants assurances this won't happen again. The fair commis
ion spokesman says no comment, we have a fair to put on. Johnson says this situation recalls the need to reopen the 1964 murder case of three civil rights workers. "The only reason why Richard Barrett
was able to leverage the media attention he was able to
leverage is because of the states' inaction. We call on the state to act as swiftly as possible and reopen the case of three civil rights workers."

Barrett was set to open a booth supporting Edgar Ray Killen. Killen is suspected of orchestrating the cvil rights murders. Barrett didn't open the booth after Killen's wife said her husband never approved the booth.

All you niggers can go back to Afreaka!

T.N.B.

Back