Judge rules in favor of Habitual TNB offender

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

pettibone%20and%20josh.jpg

New hope of freedom for a local man behind bars

(MOBILE, Ala.) May 19 -- A local man, facing life behind bars as a habitual offender, is one step closer to tasting freedom. With the Alabama Supreme Court over-turning his conviction, his fate is now in the hands of Baldwin County District Attorney David Whetstone.

Norman Pettibone realizes the odds were against him from the start. <span style='color:red'>A black man, in
he Deep South, accused of committing a crime against a white female, with an all white jury. You might as well bend over and kiss your butt goodbye because they're going to find a way to convict you.</s

pa
>

But Norman Pettibone has refused to give up. In fact just las
t week the Alabama Supreme Court ruled in his favor for a second time. "'m innocent, Pettibone states emphatically. " don't deserve to be here. I can't give up. He was convicted and sentenced to 99 years to life for holding-up a gas station along Highway 59 in Loxley.

They have absolutely no evidence to link me to this crime. No more than a lady saying that's his picture"â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š¦ that's him. He's gone to trial three times for a crime he says he didn't commit.

The first time the jury couldn't reach a verdict. At his second trial he was convicted and sentenced to 99 years to life. But after the trial, the state's key witnesses came forward telling the judge Pettibone was b
eing set-up. And his testimony was that he lied at my trial because the prosecutor and the police officer instructed him to do so. In exchange they were going to give him three years probation.

From his j
ail cell in Atmore, he began acting as his own attorney, successfully argui
ng his case before the state's highest court"â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š¦ but it wasn't enough. The Alabama Attorney General asking the Supreme Court to keep Pettibone locked away... but that request was denied late last week.

" had a passion. I had a passion to win this case. I had a passion to try and clear my name and I think I'll be able to do that this time."

His fate is now in the hands of Baldwin County District Attorney David Whetstone. In an earlier interview, the district attorney told NBC 15 he would have to think twice before retrying the case. We're going to look at it. He's been there some time. We're looking at his background to see if we think we should use state resources to continue and we
'll make that decision very quickly."

For Norman Pettibone it's already cost him the last four years of his life. His attorney, Rusty Piggot, admits his client has made
mistake
s in the past"â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š¦

but he says it's obvious Pettibone did not commit this crime.

A local man, facing life behind bars as a habitual offender, is one step closer to tasting freedom.

His attorney, Rusty Piggot, admits his client has made mistakes in the past"â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š¦

Dear God, give me a break!

T.N.B.

Back