Japanese tourist bashed, robbed by usual suspect

U

Unregistered

http://www.voxy.co.nz/national/tourist-robbed-auckland-cbd/5/118386

Wednesday, 21 March, 2012 - 19:57

Shortly before 6.30pm tonight, police were told that a Japanese male had been knocked unconscious and robbed of his bag, on Albert Street, Auckland City.

The offender ran from the scene followed by a member of the public, whilst others offered first aid.

Our good Samaritan followed the offender thru town in heavy rain, providing updates to police.

The offender was apprehended and will be facing aggravated robbery charges in the Auckland District Court.

Inspector Kerry Watson said "without the help of concerned members of the public this dangerous offender would not have apprehended"

The victim is a Japanese national visiting New Zealand

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10793726

'Good Samaritan' tracks city robber

A man described by police as a "Good Samaritan" said he was acting on instinct when he followed and helped to catch a robber in central Auckland last night.

Alistair Comyn, 39, and his friend Lisa Bradley were leaving the Shakespeare Tavern on Albert St about 6.30pm when they heard an "almighty bang".

"We looked through the traffic and there was this guy completely flat on the pavement and this guy was stood over him, who picked up the guy's bag and walked off," Mr Comyn said.

At this point he thought the victim might be dead.

"It was just fight or flight - you see something bad and you just feel like you've got to do something to correct it."

He told Ms Bradley to look after the unconscious Japanese tourist while he followed the offender and called police.

Mr Comyn kept his distance from the attacker, and relayed information to the police about where he was going.

"He wasn't running. He was just cool and calm, like he'd done absolutely nothing wrong.

"I kept my distance ... a couple of times he turned around and I just pretended I was on the phone talking to someone else.

"I just kept him in my sight as far away as I could because I had no idea if he'd come after me."

The mugger rifled through his victim's bag before casting it aside, and Mr Comyn picked it up.

For 10 minutes he followed the man as he walked down Wyndham St and Queen St to Shortland St then along High St. At the end of High St, the man met a small group of friends. Not long after that, police caught up and made an arrest.

Inspector Kerry Watson said without Mr Comyn police would not have caught the offender.

"A Good Samaritan followed the offender through town in heavy rain, providing updates for the police," Mr Watson said.

"There's been quite a few robberies in town, but they just blend in with other people."

Ms Bradley looked after the mugging victim, saying his face was bloodied and swollen.

"His English wasn't so good, he was by himself and was a visitor."

The tourist was taken to Auckland City Hospital with minor injuries, and a man is to appear in the Auckland District Court on aggravated robbery charges.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/13247391/charge-over-theft-of-tourists-suitcase/

Charge over theft of tourist's suitcase

A man who allegedly stole a suitcase from a Japanese tourist who was knocked unconscious in central Auckland has appeared in court.

Repara Waitohi, 25, appeared in Auckland District Court after allegedly stealing the suitcase on Albert Street on Wednesday from the a Japanese tourist.

Waitohi faced a sole charge of robbery when he appeared.
He will reappear in Auckland District Court on March 28.

Bashed visitor still backing NZ

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/crime/news/article.cfm?c_id=30&objectid=10794787

A Japanese robbery victim says he will not be letting "one bad Kiwi apple" take the credit away from New Zealand as a "friendly and caring" country.

Kiyoshi Inagaki, 58, was knocked out cold, suffered a gash to the back of his head and broken teeth during the attack at a bus stop on the corner of Albert and Wyndham Sts last Wednesday.

Mr Inagaki's bag, stolen from him while he was unconscious, was returned to him by the police at the hospital where he was treated for minor injuries. The alleged attacker has been arrested and is facing charges of aggravated robbery.

Alistair Comyn, 39, described by the police as a Good Samaritan, played a key part in helping police make an arrest by tailing the alleged attacker while relaying information to police on his cellphone.

Mr Comyn's friend, Lisa Bradley, and another man, Jimmy Worthylake, looked after Mr Inagaki until the ambulance arrived.

"One bad Kiwi apple caused my injury, but if it wasn't for all the other kind and wonderful Kiwis, I may have been dead," Mr Inagaki said.

"So many people have come to help me, and I just want to say thank you and let them know that I still love New Zealand and feel this is a friendly and caring country."

A hotel operator has offered him free bed-and-breakfast, and Mr Inagaki was yesterday being helped by local Japan Society representatives.

The Japanese government-employed teacher from Shizuoka had to again seek medical treatment yesterday after he blacked out during a meeting at the Auckland District Court.

Mr Inagaki claimed in his report to the police that he was attacked by a man and three women after he rejected their request for money and cigarettes.

"I decided to leave and turned to walk away. As I turned around I felt a punch in my face ... I lost consciousness for maybe two minutes," he said in the report.

"Because of the punch, I had bruising to my face and I believe I hit and cut my head on the bus stop. Two of my front teeth were broken."

Mr Inagaki arrived in Auckland just three weeks before the attack and had planned to raise money for the victims of the Japanese tsunami.

Masa Sekikawa, Japan Society president and police ethnic advisory board member, said Mr Inagaki was recovering well and had been advised to return to Japan as soon as possible.

Once this Japanese gentleman factors out the Maories and Somalians, the New Zealanders ARE a nice bunch. I'm sorry that this happened to the poor man. Maories are little better than jiggaboos and of course are absorbing the worst traits from the Somalian jigs as well as the "music" and "styles" from our Jiggaboos here in the 'Kwa. As a poster says, avoid the groid whenever you can.

:barf9:

Hawaii, and N.Z. will never stop savage's, and the newer African savage's called refugee's till White's stand up over night, and I don't think that will happen till the power and food are cut off, if then.

The future is not a 100% predictable.

Back