Horrified NYC woman wakes up to man in her bed in ‘sexually motivated’ break-in: ‘Scariest thing’

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Horrified NYC woman wakes up to man in her bed in ‘sexually motivated’ break-in: ‘Scariest thing’​

By
Social Links for Kevin Sheehan and
Social Links for Isabel Keane

Published Dec. 10, 2023

Updated Dec. 10, 2023, 12:03 p.m. ET

A “sexually motivated” burglar broke into a young woman’s East Village apartment in the middle of the night last week before climbing into bed with her in a “terrifying” incident which neighbors have deemed “the scariest thing.”
At about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, the man broke into an apartment near East 11 Street and Avenue A in Alphabet City and attempted to lie down next to a 23-year-old woman who was asleep in bed, police said.
The woman immediately awoke to the intruder lying next to her, causing him to flee her apartment on foot.
She was not injured during the disturbing incident, police said.
It was not immediately clear if the victim knew the man who had broken into her home.

00:00 03:49
Bolbir Sing, 34, who works at the 7/11 at the same street corner immediately recognized the wanted man as a frequent customer and occasional thief.

“Sometimes [he] comes into my store. Yes, he hangs out over there,” Sing told The Post, pointing to the corner on East 11th Street.

Suspect outsidePolice released security footage of the creep to hopefully get to the bottom of his identity. DCPI
“He comes with a group of four or five others. Usually comes in the evening around 7 p.m. Sometimes he steals beer and candy,” Sing said, adding that the last time he saw the suspect was last week.

Women in the neighborhood were horrified to learn of the incident — some even saying it’s made them reconsider living in the East Village.

“Oh my god! That’s terrifying! How did he get in?!” exclaimed Judith L, 26, who is originally from Vermont.

“I don’t know why there are so many crazy people concentrated in this one little area but I think we made a mistake coming here,” she said, adding that she and her girlfriend had already been considering moving to Queens.

“I’ve had packages stolen and I’ve been screamed at on the subway. I keep saying we need to move. This certainly lights a fire under it,” she added.

Alex, 20, a student at the Fashion Institute of Technology, noted she recently bought pepper spray and has had her dad come to her apartment to change her locks.

“I’m not really scared but my mom is. It’s not going to help that this happened on my block,” she told The Post.

Kristen M., 51, who was walking with her German Shepherd Frank, called the incident “the scariest thing,” before remarking, “That’s why I have a dog!”

“Thank God she’s okay. That’s the scariest thing. Completely defenseless,” she said. “It wouldn’t matter if you had a gun or whatever, it doesn’t matter. Agh!”

Isolated shot of Avenue A street sign in Lower East side of Manhattan  with  beautiful blue sky and building in  background out of focusThe sexually motivated break in happened on Avenue A in the East Village, also known as Alphabet City. Getty Images
Police released clear surveillance camera footage of the suspect, who is described as being about 5 feet 9 inches tall and approximately 170 pounds.

What do you think? Post a comment.

Police say he was last seen wearing a blue hat, glasses, a black hooded sweatshirt, a black and white jacket, beige sweatpants and light-colored shoes.

Back