(Foreign-born Muslim) Suspect in New York, N.J. bombings taken into custody - shootout with police

http://nypost.com/2017/10/12/prosec...-was-act-of-war-in-dramatic-closing-argument/

Prosecutor says Chelsea bombing was ‘act of war’ in dramatic closing argument
By Priscilla DeGregory
October 12, 2017 | 7:41pm

In a dramatic two-and-a-half-hour closing argument, a federal prosecutor told jurors of accused “Chelsea bomber” Ahmad Rahimi, “He built these bombs for months with guidance from terror organizations…it is nothing short of a miracle that no one died in this attack.”

“Who did these things? This man did these things, the defendant Ahmad Khan Rahimi conducted these bombings… with evil in his heart,” assistant US attorney Emil Bove said standing mere inches from Rahimi.

“He wanted to maximize the death, devastation and destruction,” Bove later added.

At one point during the remarks Bove even forcefully placed a pressure cooker and ball bearings before jurors to demonstrate the intent and destruction Rahimi hoped to cause.

“The defendant was proud of his bombs, proud of his plan. It was an act of war,” Bove said.

“There is no miracle defense. It is not a defense that no one died. It is not a defense that these bombs didn’t go off while being transported. It’s not a defense that the bomb at 27th street was defused before it could go off,” Bove argued.

Earlier, the final witness took the stand and tearfully recounted being stopped at a red light when the West 23rd Street bomb detonated, shattering the windows of the car she was in.

Tsitsi Merritt began crying as the jury was shown a video of the white Toyota Prius that a friend was driving with Merritt and her 11-year-old son as passengers when the bomb went off on Sept. 17, 2016.

Prosecutors say Ahmad Rahimi, 29, placed a series of bombs in Chelsea and in Seaside, NJ.

The video shows the car stopped at a light and its back window bursting out, while bystanders start running in panic as debris falls around them.

“We heard a loud sound and the car we were in jumped and was shaking — I relate it to an earthquake. We heard people running and screaming. The back seat windows shattered onto [my son], some rear view mirror damaged,” Merritt said in Manhattan federal court on Thursday.

Merritt said the driver and her son were dazed after the explosion. “[My friend] drove past the traffic light because when the explosion happened she was in a daze. She was not responding to me. I said, ‘Get out of here!’ At Houston [Street] she stopped. I was telling my son, ‘You’re OK,’” Merritt said.

“My ears were ringing. A lot of vibration going on in my head. I felt like I had an alien head. I couldn’t really grasp how I was feeling,” Merritt said of her injuries.

After the prosecution rested, Rahimi’s defense team did the same after deciding not to put their client on the stand.

The defense is expected to begin its closing arguments Friday morning and jurors could begin deliberating in the afternoon.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/13/accused-chelsea-bomber-did-us-a-favor-didnt-detonate-2nd-bomb-lawyer/

Accused Chelsea bomber did us a favor, didn’t detonate 2nd bomb: lawyer
By Kaja Whitehouse
October 13, 2017 | 11:06pm

A lawyer for accused Chelsea bomber Ahmad Rahimi has offered a stunning new theory about an explosion that rocked New York City last year — telling a Manhattan federal jury that a second pressure-cooker bomb on West 27th Street failed to detonate only because Rahimi had a change of heart.

“This is a man who knows how to detonate a bomb. And if he wanted to, he would have,” defense lawyer Sabrina Shroff told the jury during closing arguments on Friday.

Rahimi, 29, changed his mind after hearing the first explosion on West 23rd Street, which injured more than 30 people and caused millions in property damage, Shroff said.

“If as the government says, he had only evil in his heart and a mission to kill, then he would have detonated the bomb on 27th Street. But he did not,” she argued.

Shroff never contested Rahimi’s role in the bombings. Instead, she argued for the jury to find him not guilty on three of eight counts — all tied to the West 27th Street bomb.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/16/chelsea-bomber-convicted-of-attack-that-injured-dozens/

‘Chelsea bomber’ convicted of attack that injured dozens
By Emily Saul and Kaja Whitehouse
October 16, 2017 | 11:41am | Updated

A homegrown Islamic terrorist was convicted Monday of detonating do-it-yourself time bombs in Manhattan and New Jersey last year — setting him up for a mandatory sentence of life in a federal prison.

A Manhattan federal jury found Ahmad Khan Rahimi, 29, guilty as charged on eight counts following a two-week trial over the twin blasts in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood and in Seaside Park, N.J,. on Sept. 17, 2016.

“Rahimi’s crimes of hate have been met with swift and resolute justice,” acting Manhattan US Attorney Joon Kim said in a prepared statement.

“Today’s verdict is a victory for New York City, a victory for America in its fight against terror, and a victory for all who believe in the cause of justice.”

The feds alleged that Rahimi’s Internet searches and writing found in notebook he kept showed he was obsessed with Osama bin Laden, al Qaeda and ISIS, but the Elizabeth, N.J., resident — who immigrated from Afghanistan at age 7 — wasn’t accused of formal ties to any terrorist groups.

The fiend remained composed as he heard the verdict against him, which followed less than four hours of deliberations over two days, and tried in vain to make eye contact with members of the eight-man, four-woman jury.

He then chatted and chuckled with his defense lawyer as Judge Richard Berman met in the jury room with the panel.

Laughter from the group was heard through the door in the courtroom.

As he left the courtroom, the jury’s foreman said: “It’s never easy to part of something like this.”

Berman scheduled sentencing for January 18. Rahimi has been jailed without bond since his arrest following a bloody shootout with cops in Linden, N.J.

Defense lawyer Sabrina Shroff said she would seek a sentence of less than life on counts 1 through 6, on hopes that an appeals court overturns the remaining counts, which carry mandatory life sentences.

No one was injured by Rahimi’s first blast — in Seaside Park — because the bomb exploded ahead of a charity race that had been delayed.

But the pressure-cooker bomb he later planted on West 23rd Street injured dozens of people and caused millions of dollars in property damage.

A third device, left on West 27th Street, didn’t go off — and Rahimi’s lawyer last week threw the prosecution for a loop when she told the jury it was because Rahimi got cold feet after hearing the blast on West 23rd Street.

In a bid to dramatically reduce Rahimi’s chance of spending the rest of his life in prison, she asked the jury to acquit him of three counts tied to the unexploded device.

The feds tied Rahimi to the attacks through purchases he made at Home Depot and on eBay for parts used to make the bombs, as well as through fingerprint and DNA evidence.

Victims of the West 23rd Street bombing offered dramatic testimony, with Chelsea resident Cort Cheek describing a “double boom” so loud “it was like the end of the world.”

The feds also played dozens of damning surveillance videos that showed Rahimi walking around Manhattan while pulling a pair of roller suitcases, each of which held a homemade bomb.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...nmates-Feds-Ahmad-Khan-Rahimi--466121183.html

Feds: Manhattan Bomber Trying to Radicalize Other Inmates
The allegations came in a letter Friday from the office of Acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim to Judge Richard Berman
Published at 6:18 PM EST on Dec 23, 2017 | Updated at 9:54 AM EST on Dec 24, 2017

The man who was convicted of setting off a bomb in Manhattan that injured 30 people last year has been attempting to radicalize fellow jail inmates, federal prosecutors said.

The government says Ahmad Khan Rahimi gave other inmates access to speeches by Osama bin Laden and Anwar al-Awlaki and materials including bomb-making instructions since October, while awaiting sentencing at the Metropolitan Correction Center in Manhattan.

The allegations came in a letter Friday from the office of Acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim to Judge Richard Berman.

"The defendant allowed the inmates to view these materials on his laptop, and also provided some of them with electronic copies," prosecutors wrote.

Prosecutors said they had recovered the copies from two inmates' electronics.

The inmates Rahimi shared the materials with included Sajmir Alimehmeti, a Bronx man who has been charged with providing material support to the Islamic State, according to prosecutors.

Rahimi's electronic devices were given to him as pre-trial discovery materials. Prosecutors said they had also found indications he'd been trying to connect with other terrorism suspects.

"After learning of the defendant's radicalization efforts, the MCC staff searched his personal property and located, among other things, an address book containing the names and inmate numbers of other defendants charged with terrorism offenses," prosecutors wrote.

Judge Berman is to sentence Rahimi on Jan. 18 after a jury convicted him in October of all the charges against him.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/16/chels...ze-inmates-made-light-of-attacks-prosecutors/

Chelsea bomber has tried to radicalize inmates, made light of attacks: prosecutors
By Priscilla DeGregory
January 16, 2018 | 7:40pm

Convicted Chelsea bomber Ahmad Khan Rahimi has been unrepentant while locked up, according to federal prosecutors who argue he should get life behind bars at his Feb. 13 sentencing.

Rahimi was convicted of detonating a series of bombs in New York and New Jersey in 2016.

While locked up, he has tried to “radicalize his fellow inmates and made light of his attacks,” prosecutors say in court papers filed in Manhattan federal court Tuesday.

Rahimi wrote in a letter to a friend on Dec. 12, just two months after a jury convicted him for the September 2016 attacks, “My Judge is a kaffir, my lawyer is a kaffir, my prose[c]utor is a kaffir, and my jury are all kaffirs,” court papers state.

Kaffir is a term used to refer to a non-Muslim.

Rahimi, 29, continues in the letter, “Who among them will understand the Muslim problem. Their hands are already drenched with Muslim Blood and how will they understand our struggle.”

Rahimi also bragged about his notoriety to a family member who visited him in jail, saying, “I don’t need to watch the news because I am the news [Laughs],” according to government court papers.

In addition in the same conversation, Rahimi boasted about how he is an “expert” bomb maker.

While locked up at Metropolitan Correctional Center, Rahimi has also allegedly shared materials from his trial with other inmates, according to the feds.

“His conduct reflects a complete lack of respect for the law and indicates that he has not been deterred, but rather emboldened,” prosecutors wrote in asking that the judge to sentence Rahimi to life behind bars.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/12/chelsea-bombers-dad-my-son-is-a-terrorist/

Chelsea bomber’s dad: My son is a terrorist
By Priscilla DeGregory
February 12, 2018 | 8:37pm | Updated

On the eve of his son likely being handed a life sentence, the father of convicted Chelsea bomber Ahmad Khan Rahimi calls ​his offspring a ​”​terrorist​”​ and says he warned the FBI about him before the attacks but ​his caution went unheeded.

​Mohammed Rahami said he told the FBI in 2014 that he thought his son​ ​– who goes both by Rahimi and Rahami​ ​– ​could be a terrorist, according to an NBC interview.

“After two months, they say, ‘Your son is not doing any act like a terrorist,’” Rahami ​told NBC​,​ adding, “I said, ‘You sure he not doing anything?’ He say, ‘Yeah, is good news.’”​​

Rahimi​ ​–​ ​a 30-year-old Afghanistan immigrant​ ​– was convicted ​in October for detonating two bombs in Manhattan and one in Seaside Park, New Jersey, on Sept. 17, 2016.

The bomber’s dad said, “He did it as a terrorist. This is a terrorist.”

After the bombing Rahami said the FBI took responsibility for “not doing our job​,” ​he told NBC. ​Rahami ​said he told them, “It’s too late.”

Rahimi used a homemade pressure-cooker bomb​ ​​that​ ​he planted on West 23rd Street​ ​for the attack that injured dozens and caused millions in property damage.

Another bomb left at ​West ​27th Street was found and disarmed causing no harm, and the bomb that was set to go off during a charity ​run in New Jersey exploded early, sparing runners and spectators from any injuries.

Rahami added, “My son, he did wrong, and the FBI did the wrong​,​ too. The government is responsible for that reason. They have the power to stop the crime and they did not stop the crime,” according to the interview.

“You have to go to the government as to why they did not stop this child,” Rahami told NBC.

Rahimi faces life in federal prison at his sentencing tomorrow.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/13/chelsea-bomber-sentenced-to-rot-away-in-prison/

Chelsea bomber sentenced to rot away in prison
By Priscilla DeGregory and Bruce Golding
February 13, 2018 | 2:30pm | Updated

ahmad-khan-rahimi-feature.jpg

Ahmad Khan Rahimi
AP

An unrepentant, homegrown Islamic terrorist was sentenced to multiple life terms Tuesday for setting off a time bomb that injured 31 people in Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood as part of a planned wave of attacks across New York and New Jersey.

Ahmad Khan Rahimi, an Afghan immigrant who became radicalized through online postings by Al Qaeda and ISIS, had faced the mandatory punishment since a jury convicted him in October on eight counts, including use of a weapon of mass destruction.

Chilling surveillance videos played at Rahimi’s trial showed pedestrians enjoying a temperate Saturday night before they recoiled in shock and ran for their lives when his pressure-cooker bomb blew up outside a home for the blind and disabled around 8 p.m. on Sept. 17, 2016.

Authorities said it was a miracle no one was killed by Rahimi’s fiendish blast, which sent a nearby dumpster flying more than 120 feet and sprayed shrapnel that tore into the chests, legs and eyes of innocent passers-by.

Among the spectators who packed the Manhattan federal courtroom for Rahimi’s sentencing was a woman walked in with a guide dog and sat in a row reserved for victims.

Rahimi, 30, who formerly lived in Elizabeth, New Jersey, was caught bragging about his notoriety over a jailhouse phone during his trial, and he later sent a letter to a crony in Germany claiming that only “Allah will be my Judge.”

Prosecutors said Rahimi even tried radicalizing fellow inmates inside Manhattan’s notorious Metropolitan Correctional Center by

“distributing propaganda and publications issued by terrorist organizations.”

Before lowering the boom on Tuesday, Manhattan federal Judge Richard Berman said “it now appears, if you put two and two together,” that

Rahimi was spreading his hate during Friday-afternoon prayer sessions Berman let him attend during the trial.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...ainst-Convicted-Chelsea-Bomber-562107441.html

New Jersey Jury Begins Deliberations in Attempted Murder Case Against Convicted Chelsea Bomber
Published 4 hours ago

Jurors have started deliberating in the attempted murder trial of a man already convicted of planting bombs in New York City.

The eight woman and four men heard closing arguments Thursday in the trial of Ahmad Khan Rahimi. The Afghanistan-born naturalized U.S. citizen faces charges stemming from a shootout with police officers before his 2016 arrest, which occurred after a two-day manhunt.

Rahimi's attorney argued his client acted in self-defense.

Rahimi is serving a life sentence after a jury convicted him last year of setting off a pressure cooker device, injuring 30 people. A second bomb a few blocks away failed to go off.

The government contends Rahimi set a small pipe bomb along a Marine Corps road race in Seaside Park, New Jersey hours before the explosion in Chelsea on Sept. 17, 2016.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...rrest-Shooting-Bombing-Chelsea-562512471.html

Convicted NYC Bomber Guilty of Attempted Murder in NJ
Published Oct 8, 2019 at 8:50 AM | Updated at 8:12 PM EDT on Oct 8, 2019

Jurors in New Jersey convicted for attempted murder trial a man already found guilty of planting bombs in New York City.

Afghanistan-born naturalized U.S. citizen Ahmad Khan Rahimi faced charges stemming from his arrest in 2016.

The jury of eight women and four men began deliberating last Thursday and asked for a re-showing of a surveillance video that showed a gun battle in Linden between Rahimi and police — a key piece of the prosecution's case.

It took them until Tuesday afternoon to convict Rahimi in the attempted murder of five police officers.

"We are grateful to the Union County Prosecutor's Office for their resolve in holding him accountable for trying to kill these heroes," said Linden Police Chief Dave Hart in a statement. "Their actions on that day will forever inspire us, and this conviction sends a clear message that those who use fear and intimidation to disrupt our way of life will be stopped, and they will be held accountable."

Two of the cops involved in the gunfight were injured in the exchange, including retired Linden Officer Angel Padilla who took a bullet to the gut which thankfully was stopped by the bulletproof vest.

Rahimi's attorney had argued his client acted in self-defense.

Sentencing has been scheduled for November 15. Rahimi is already serving a life sentence after a New York jury convicted Rahimi last year of setting off a bomb, injuring 30 people. A second bomb failed to go off.

The government presented evidence that Rahimi also set a small pipe bomb along a Marine Corps road race in Seaside Park, New Jersey, the same day.
Copyright Associated Press / NBC 10 Philadelphia

Back