Flint school board seeks busing, budget solutions

White Devil

Registered

FLINT - If he has his way, Interim Flint Superintendent Ira Rutherford won't close Cummings and King elementary schools next year.

Rutherford said he and his staff continue to look at ways to save money in the 2005-06 budget and he's hoping to keep the schools open.

Rutherford discussed the issue Wednesday as the Flint Board of Education looked at this year's and next year's budgets.

The board also seems likely to approve an agreement to pay the Genesee Intermediate School District to bus about 175 Flint special education students next year.

"We're looking at ways to save dollars," Rutherford told the board. "I think two schools closed next year is too much and we're looking for ways to get around that."

Rutherford didn't offer specifics on how the district would be able to keep King, 520 W. Rankin St., and Cummings, 2200
Walton Ave., open and still balance next year's budget. Closing the buildings wo
uld save about $800,000.

The board has until June 30 to approve the 2005-06 budget and administrators have said they need to cut about $20 million.

The budget plan, which was given informal approval by the school board in March, includes cutting 142 positions, including 82 teachers and 31 maintenance and operations workers; and ending the partnership with Edison Schools Inc.

The district would save about $500,000 a year for three years if the GISD buses the special ed students.

GISD Superintendent Thomas Svitkovich and members of his staff presented the busing plan Wednesday and seemed to impress some Flint board members.

Several members of the Service Employees International Union, which represents Flint bus drivers, attended the meeting opposed to the change. The proposed budget would cut about 16 bus drivers.

"I know you think about economic conditions all the ti
me and it is a problem, but you got to think about the children and parents," SEIU Local 591 President Sandra J
enkins told the board.

Board member Joe L. McMobley II said he's opposed to going with the GISD, but board President Marvin "Skip" Harbin said he believes there is enough support on the board to approve the switch.

"It's an emotional issue, but I think going with the GISD is the best route," Harbin said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index....93957314640.xml

Back