Female plumbing apprentice Ashlea Reed beats the boys

B

BB-Leo

I AM WONDERING ABOUT THAT... how can female be a plumber, aren't boys any good anymore? AND NOW SHE IS FREE TO PLAY WITH THE PIPES
739022-ashlea-reed.jpg

Female plumbing apprentice Ashlea Reed beats the boys

June 29, 2011

IN the past, water had a better chance of running uphill than a woman had of becoming a plumber.
But Ashlea Reed, 24, fought her way into the industry and has become the first female plumbing apprentice to win an award from the Master Plumbers' and Mechanical Services Association of Australia since it began to recognise apprentices in 1908.

The Cranbourne woman was yesterday awarded the association's inaugural Rose Curtis award for female apprentices.

Ms Reed suffered repeated knockbacks from people who thought she should try something else, but was determined to prove she could handle an arguably tougher career than her construction worker father and brother.

She has since impressed those in the know with her dedication and skills and was presented with the award aimed at encouraging women to not only try the trade, but to stick with it.

The soon-to-be fourth-year apprentice said she hoped her success would encourage other women.

"I remember when I was trying to find a job, how hard it was," she said,

"But this shows that opinions are changing and women can be in the building industry."

For other women considering a job in the trade, she advises a determined attitude and to ignore anyone who asks them to reconsider.​
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...d-beats-the-boys/story-fn7x8me2-1226083786844

Back