Ex-NFL player Sergio Brown arrested in connection to his mother’s death: source

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Ex-NFL player Sergio Brown arrested in connection to his mother’s death: source​

By
Melissa Koenig

Published Oct. 11, 2023, 10:57 a.m. ET

Former NFL player Sergio Brown has been arrested in connection with his mother’s death after being seen partying in Mexico in the wake of her death, according to a report.
He was deported from the country on Tuesday and taken into custody near San Diego based on an arrest warrant issued in Illinois, an unidentified law enforcement source told CNN.

Sergio Brow has been arrested in connection to his mother's death.Sergio Brow has been arrested in connection to his mother’s death.Getty Images Myrtle Brown was found dead in Sept.Myrtle Brown was found dead in Sept.Nick Brown / Facebook

Police in San Diego are now reportedly working to transfer the former pro-footballer from Southern California to the Chicago area, where his mother, Myrtle, was found dead in her home last month.

Authorities discovered Myrtle’s body after relatives alerted the Maywood Police Department that they were unable to find or contact her or her son.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office later determined the 73-year-old died from injuries related to an assault, and declared her death a homicide.

Ex-NFLer Sergio Brown fought with cops on a plane trying to extradite him over murder charge​

By
Matt Ehalt

Published Oct. 13, 2023, 12:14 p.m. ET

Former NFL player Sergio Brown, who was arrested for first-degree murder in connection to his mother’s death, fought with Mexican officers on a plane Sunday in Mexico City while they tried to extradite him back to the United States, according to a video shown on CBS8 in San Diego.
Michelle Williams, a resident of Lakeside Calif., shot the video while the Aeromexico plane was on the tarmac.
Williams and her family were on their way back when Brown started talking out loud and fighting with two officers at his seat on a plane headed for Tijuana.
“They’re kidnapping me again … I’m from Chicago,” Brown said before pushing one of the officers. “I should not be going to Tijuana.
“Let me go. This is kidnapping.”
Brown was not handcuffed, according to Williams, and it took the officers approximately 90 minutes to get him off the plane.
A doctor tried to help calm Brown down and offered the former safety a glass of water.

Sorry, the video player failed to load.(Error Code: 101102)

Sergio Brown 4
Sergio Brown is held by extradition officers.Michelle Williams
“It was crazy just to hear him start yelling that he was being kidnapped, that these men were kidnapping him,” Williams told CBS8. “And I’m just thinking, ‘What is going on?’”
Brown was deported from Mexico on Tuesday and taken into custody near San Diego following an arrest warrant that was issued for him in Illinois.
He is being held in a downtown San Diego jail without bail, per CBS8.
Sergio Brown 4
Sergio Brown shoves an extradition officer.Michelle Williams
Sergio Brown 4
Sergio Brown speaks to fellow passengers.Michelle Williams
He has waived his right for an extradition hearing, per the network.
Myrdle Brown, whose body was found in a creek near her home in the Chicago suburb of Maywood, died from injuries related to an assault, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office, and her death was declared a homicide.
TMZ acquired a video of Brown partying in Tulum earlier this month, shortly after his mother’s death.
Sergio Brown of the Jacksonville Jaguars helps to coach a team of local school children during the NFL Launch of the Play 60 scheme 4
Brown played for the Patriots, Colts, Falcons, Jaguars and Bills during a seven-year NFL career.Getty Images

What do you think? Post a comment.

He also posted a rant on Instagram in September that appeared to reference the missing persons report filed by his family.

“What the f–k? Missing? They ain’t never seen ‘Finding Nemo’? What the f–k is going on? This is traumatic. Lucky I don’t have to say a joke. You … what the f–k? Just keep swimming,” Brown said.

Back