EMT shot in back of ambulance by intoxicated man he was treating in Staten Island

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

EMT shot in back of ambulance by intoxicated man he was treating in Staten Island​

By
Joe Marino,

Larry Celona,

Tina Moore and

Patrick Reilly

May 18, 2022 10:37pm
Updated

NYPD, police vehicle on street.
NYPD respond to the scene where a drunk man shot an EMT. Chad Rachman

An EMT was shot in an ambulance by an intoxicated man being transported to a Staten Island hospital on Wednesday night — and a retired NYPD detective helped apprehend the suspect, police said.
The wild chain of events began after EMTs from Richmond University Medical Center picked up the patient from in front of the Funkey Monkey Lounge on Forest Avenue and Llewellyn Place at about 7:40 p.m., police said.
Calls made to 911 reported the man, identified by police as 37-year-old Thomas McCauley, to be drunk and disorderly at the time, sources said.
Responding EMTs placed the man in the back of the ambulance and proceeded towards the hospital.
About a mile into the transport, McCauley allegedly pulled a gun out of his waistband and fired a shot, striking a 25-year-old male EMT in the shoulder, NYPD Inspector Mark Molinari said at a Wednesday night press conference.
The ambulance driver immediately pulled over around 646 Forest Avenue.
The gun recovered from the scene where EMT McMahon was shot.The gun recovered from the scene where EMT McMahon was shot.NYPD Richard McMahon, an EMT at Richmond University Medical Center (EMT Richard McMahon Police, onlookers at scene of shooting.The EMT was shot at 646 Forest Avenue in Staten Island. Steve White
The perpetrator then fled out the back of the ambulance on foot before he was apprehended with the help of a retired NYPD detective and an off-duty Department of Sanitation lieutenant, Molinari said.
The wounded EMT was transported by the ambulance driver to RUMC hospital in stable condition.
A .38 caliber revolver was recovered at the scene. McCauley was also allegedly in possession of a knife and mace, according to police.
Alleged shooter Thomas McCauley also had a knife and pepper spray in his possession.Alleged shooter Thomas McCauley also had a knife and pepper spray in his possession. NYPD vehicleThe man was picked up from a bar in Staten Island. Chad Rachman
McCauley was known to police for a prior call of an emotionally disturbed person, Molinari told reporters. Charges against him were pending as of early Thursday.

Drunken patient who allegedly shot Staten Island EMT charged: cops​

By
Amanda Woods

May 20, 2022 11:03am
Updated

Showing Suspect Thomas McCauley
Thomas McCauley, described in 911 calls as drunk and disorderly, was picked up Wednesday night outside Funkey Monkey Lounge in Port Richmond by EMTs. Brigitte Stelzer

The deranged, drunken patient who allegedly shot a Staten Island EMT in the back of an ambulance this week has been charged, cops said Friday.
Thomas McCauley, 37, was charged late Thursday with assault on an EMT and criminal possession of a weapon in connection to the Wednesday night shooting of Richard McMahon, 25, in the back of an ambulance, authorities said.
He was walked out of the 120th Precinct on Friday morning, police said.
McCauley — described in 911 calls as drunk and disorderly — was picked up Wednesday night outside Funkey Monkey Lounge in Port Richmond by EMTs from Richmond University Medical Center, authorities said.
The EMTs, including McMahon, placed McCauley in the back of the ambulance and proceeded toward the hospital.
About a mile into the transport, McCauley allegedly pulled a gun out of his waistband and fired a shot, striking McMahon in the shoulder.
“I was asking him questions in the back of the ambulance as we drove, you know, patient history,” McMahon told The Post Thursday. “I asked if he had any medications and he said that he had a psych history. So I asked him if he was suicidal and he said ‘yes.’”
Richard McMahonMcMahon was discharged from Richmond University Medical Center on Thursday.Paul Martinka
“I was writing down the medications that he should have been taking and … I looked up and there was a gun pointed directly at me. I heard ‘Bang!’ and as the shot came out, I flinched,” said McMahon, who added that he was only three feet away from the suspect.
McMahon then yelled out, “I’m shot! I’m shot!” to his partner, who pulled over to the side of the road, he recounted.

“As she was coming around, I pulled the gun from his hands. I twisted it out of his hands and when she opened the door, I was still struggling with him,” the heroic EMT said.
McCauley fled out the back of the ambulance on foot but was caught with the help of a retired NYPD detective and off-duty Department of Sanitation Lt. Joseph Perrone, police said.
McMahon, whose injuries were non-life-threatening, was discharged from Richmond University Medical Center on Thursday.
A .38-caliber revolver was recovered at the scene. McCauley was also allegedly in possession of a knife and Mace, according to police.
In a Facebook post Thursday, the wounded EMT’s mother said that learning of her son’s close call was “the worst phone call a mom could get.”
“How does my son get SHOT doing his job trying to help people?” Kathy Rowan McMahon wrote. “He has the biggest heart and compassion for his job and patients!!”
The gun from the EMT involved shooting last night on Staten IslandA .38-caliber revolver was recovered at the scene. NYPD
“Thankfully he’ll be ok!!”

Back