DEMON, Murderous WA teennigger slays white man at random! UPDATE: NOT GUILTY D/T INSANITY.

Brewski

Registered

I'm posting this and then I'm off.. I can't even think straight after reading this.
:guns: :guns: :guns: :suspect:

--------------------

REFERENCE LINK: Tennis coach killed in random shooting

Random, my white ass!!! This 60-IQ hellbound nigger had a MOTIVE for this "RANDOM" crime!!! Read on! 😠 😠 😠

----------------------

Documents, Neighbors Reveal Possible Murder Motive

SEATTLE -- Documents and interviews with neighbors are off
ering clues about the possible motive for a 17
-year-old's alleged slaying of a Bellevue high school tennis coach, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

Samson Y. Berhe, who turns 18 on Thursday, was ordered detained at a hearing Tuesday in juvenile court. He was arrested Monday after he was found on a barge across the Duwamish River from the shooting scene.

Photo caption: "Samson Y. Berhe"
4665122_200X150.jpg

Why hide his evil, coon face, KIRO???

Michael Robb
, a tennis coach at Newport High School, was shot in the face Sunday night as he sat in his car on West Marginal Way in Seattle. Witnesses said a male approached the car and fired a shotgun through the open driver's side window, then ran toward the river

Neighbors told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News the teen said he had a grudge a
gainst white people.

"He always say that he (was) gonna kill all the white people in the world," said Anna Bell Perkins. "Samson had, like, some sort of complex against Caucasian people. And he said he wanted to kill them all and told me I could watch," said another neighbor.

According to court documents, Behre owned a shotgun. Police cut down a tree from his yard and recovered a bullet of the same caliber used to kill Robb.

An hour before Robb was shot, Berhe was investigated and released for a burglary near the shooting scene, police wrote in court papers.

-----------------

'Mike Was Loved By All'

Victim of "random" racist murderous nigger impluse, Michael Robb
http://www.komotv.com/news/images/mike_robb.jpg' border='0
' alt='user posted image' />

BELLEVUE - Family, friends, and students at Newport High School are mourning the loss of Mike Robb, who was shot and killed while sitting in his car in West Seattle Sunday night.

Robb was a beloved husband, father, and tennis coach.

"Mike was loved by all," said his wife Else. "A dynamic and beloved tennis coach, a loving husband and devoted father."

Else is the French teacher at the high school, while Mike was the boys' and girls' tennis coach. And even though it was a part time job, the staff says he was there so much, you would have though he was being paid full time.

His daughter Louisa -- just 14 months old -- was all Mike talked about for the last 14 months. But she wasn't his only child. He considered the Newport High School boys and girls tennis team his family too.

"Mike Robb was one of the most caring guys I've ever met," said tennis co-captain Garren Azama. "He had
a huge heart."

For the last three years, Robb coached at Newport High and at the same time juggled officiating duties for countless tennis tournaments, including the U.S. Open. He was a stickler for the rules and good sportsmanship.

"You'll never see a Newport kid throw a tennis racket or do anything out of line," said athletic director Gil James.

Instructor Russ Bucklin is putting on a good face for the kids he's instructing, but on the inside, it's a different story. He's played hundreds of tournaments and Robb officiated most of them. The last time he saw Mike, he ribbed him about a bad cal
l during an Andre Agassi match at the Indian Wells Tournament in Palm Springs this year.

"In Mike fashion, he just owned up to it and said, 'Yeah, I really blew that call. Agassi is looking at me.' He had one of those umpire moments."

Now everyone including police want to know what happened in the moments leading up to his death.

"It's a travesty," said school principal Patty Siegwarth. "Here is someone that committed years to working with youth and incredibly dedicated and to have that happen."

There will be chance to say goodbye at a memorial service Thursday at 4:30 p.m. at Epiphany Parish in Madrona.

---------------------

Google News search for Samson + Berhe

Last edited by a moderator:

When are Whites going to realize that the nigger and pit bull problem are basically the same? This is, for what appears to be no reason what so ever, the nigger and the pit bull will go into a killing frenzy. The fact is the nigger and the pit bull do not even understand their own actions. The nigger and pit bull just cannot live in with human because of the genetic predisposition to attack and kill.

Nigger that act like pit bulls should be put to sleep like a bit bull. And if niggers are going to be in the vicinity of human they should be kept on leashes like pit bulls.

Note that the nigger and pit bull are also similar in their habit of making noises in attempt to intimidate humans. So there should be ordnances that require unruly niggers and pit bulls to be muzzled.

It time the humans hold niggers to the same standards we expect from pit bulls. After all, how different is d

og from a dawg?

:gu
ns::suspect:

Lord have mercy.

Wake up America and smell the nigger.

T.N.B.

Get the rope

Originally posted by Brewski@Jun 29 2005, 10:49 AM

"He always say that he (was) gonna kill all the white people in the world," said Anna Bell Perkins. "Samson had, like, some sort of complex against Caucasian people. And he said he wanted to kill them all and told me I could watch," said another neighbor.

Bring it on all you filthy dark skinned hellhounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to take on the white race if you dare!!!!&#33

;!!!!!!!!! Bring it on all you murderous niggerbitches!!!!!!!!!!! May the best man win!!!

This is a filthy episode of TNB if I have ever seen one. I agree with Brewski, this one is hard to take!!! Too bad for the victim. I have trained myself to alwa
ys beware when niggers are present. They can resort to murder and mayhem in an instant and any white would do well to understand that evil monkeyshines are probable when boons are present. They are an evil species of dark demons!!

Gman

Sent the following to the reporter of the first story:

The running joke is that when Blacks kill Whites, you media types running interference for them label it "random" no matter HOW much evidence there is to the contrary.â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š  Your article is a fine example - you even work hard to hide the race of those involved.â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š  Had the races been reversed in this story would it have been covered the same?

http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/210859

Fortunately, there are other sources not so cowardly.

http://www.kirotv.

com/news/4665129/detail.html

Originally posted by svejk@Jun 29 2005, 11:55 AM
This is, for what appears to be no reason what so ever, the nigger and the pit bull will go into a killing frenzy. The fact is the nigger and the pit bull do not even understand their own actions.

And the most flea bitten ghetto pit bull is better bread than their nigger owners.

Just another Hate crime in the state of washington that is buried so "perception control"of the perfect beings can present this evil animal as cofused,held back,etc.No judgement of this hatemonger and it's races hate for The Great White Anglo saxxon Race!
1.Albert Spears,Tacoma-Killed 2 asians and put a white male in a wheel chair for the rest of his life!
2.Leemah carniege,Des moines-killed 3 white people and a negro girl over the white guy dating and marrying the negro girl!

This fund was opened in July, but I only found out about it recently. I just called up Washington Mutual today though, and they said the account is still open, in case anyone would like to give to it. It's called the "Louisa Robb Educational Fund." I feel sorry for this little girl.

Benefit Fund Opened for Daughter of Slain Coach

[Meant to post these a while ago. These are pretty old, but thought I should put them up anyway: a few commentaries and then all the articles I've been collecting in chronological order. This horrific crime seems to have gone down the memory hole here in the Seattle area. I can't find any recent follow-up stories about it. However, some friends & I plan to bring this back into the public consciousness (through a demonstration) when the arraignment finally happens. They keep postponing it again and again.]

LESSONS FROM NATURE ABOUT SPECIES MIXING
A Tale of Two Tragedies
By Dave Cooper
[from WhiteCivilRights.com]

BLACK HATE CRIME MURDER IN WEST S

EATTLE

By James Buchanan
[from US AlterMedia]

nTEEN SHOOTING SUSPECT SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN CUSTODY
KOMO, 28 June, 05

[Has a video clip but had trouble getting it to play right.]

shooting_suspect_062705.jpg

Investigators now believe the 17-year-old shot Mike Robb in the face with a shotgun.

Then, another twist appeared during Berhe's court appearance Tuesday. The teenager had failed to appear on a car theft charge back in 2002.

"It sounds like there's been a warrant in the system since he failed to appear for his arraignment," said prosecutor Mary Barbosa.

The question now is: Why didn't officers know about that warrant when they had the teen in custody an hour before the shooting?<
br><
br>*

ACCUSED KILLER PRONE TO THREATS
S
eattle Times 1 July 05

In the days leading up to the fatal shooting of a popular high-school tennis coach, police had numerous encounters with the 18-year-old man charged in the slaying.

One week before Samson Berhe allegedly shot 46-year-old Mike Robb, police were called to Berhe's home by his mother, who said her son had repeatedly threatened to kill himself, according to a statement released yesterday by police. Berhe's doctor, she reportedly told police, had taken him off his mental-health medication.

Three days later, on June 22, police said they again went to the house in West Seattle after Berhe reportedly struck his brother's friend and said that he "ruled the world" and that "all confused people should be kil
led,&quo
t; the s
tatement said. Berhe was taken to Harborview Medical Center for an evaluation, police said, but he was deemed to be "not in need of treatment."

The next day, according to the police statement, officers responded to an "abandoned child" call at Harborview a
fter Berhe's parents refused to pick him up because they were afraid of him.

[...]

Berhe was charged as an adult yesterday --which was his 18th birthday --with first-degree murder for the slaying of Robb, tennis coach at Newport High School in Bellevue and a respected tennis umpire who had worked at the U.S. Open. The charging papers filed in King County Superior Court shed additional light on Berhe's run-ins with police and his threatening behavior in the week leading up to the slaying.

Berhe had spoken to several friends and neighbors in the days before Robb's death of his desire to kill a white person, according to charging papers. A friend of Berhe's told polic
e he had sai
d, "
I got to shoot a cop or shoot a white person, you know, before I leave this world."

Berhe is black and Robb was white.

Charging papers also said another acquaintance, Greg Triggs, said he saw Berhe and a friend brandishing shotguns in their West Seattle neighborhood two days before
Robb's slaying. Triggs said he confiscated the shotgun from Berhe, but returned it at Berhe's insistence on the day Robb was killed.

The police statement also confirmed that officers had talked to Berhe twice on the day Robb was shot.

Police said they spoke to Berhe and another teen about reports the two had been sleeping and partying in a vacant house near Berhe's home. They warned them off but did not arrest them, according to the owner of the house.

Later that day, about an hour before Robb was shot, police said they questioned Berhe and a friend about a burglary. Police said that at that time Berhe dropped a few shotgun shells on t
he street, and t
hey were later r
ecovered by police. The friend was arrested but Berhe was not detained, even though a warrant had been issued for his arrest on two minor juvenile offenses from 2002.

Explaining why Berhe wasn't arrested, police and prosecutors said they weren't aware of the warrant because Berhe's last name was misspe
lled on the warrant and in earlier court documents.
[!]

Robb was driving home on northbound West Marginal Way Southwest at about 7:30 p.m. Sunday when he apparently turned around for an unknown reason, court documents said. Friends of the victim said it would be like Robb --a husband and father as well as a high-school coach --to stop for someone who seemed to need help.

Witnesses told police that Robb was stopped in the center southbound lane and appeared to be holding his door open when Berhe allegedly walked up to him and shot him point-blank in the head with a shotgun. Court documents say witnesses saw the shooter l
ooking agitated and
talking to himself m
inutes before Robb's death.

Police said the shooting was random in that there was no known connection between Berhe and Robb.[Obviously not completely random since he intended to kill a White person]

[...]

Charging papers say that when detectives attempted to interview Berhe after his arrest, he c
alled the police "haters" and "all you [expletive] white people."

"He made faces, contorted his lips, spoke in different voices, spit and drooled," an officer wrote in a charging document. "He flexed his arms and challenged detectives to fight."

Because Berhe allegedly made racial threats, prosecutors may consider charging him with malicious harassment, which is the legal term for a hate crime in this state.

If convicted as currently charged, Berhe would face 25 to 31 years in prison. [That's all?] An additional conviction for malicious harassment would add a few month
s to that sentence, sai
d Dan Donohoe, prosecuto
r's spokesman.

MURDER CHARGE IN COACH'S SLAYING
Seattle P-I, 1 July 05

Seattle police -- who'd dealt with the teen five times in the week before the shooting -- say he'd told neighbors he wanted to kill a white person or a police officer. One neighbor
said Berhe, who is black, claimed at least a dozen times that he was "going to kill all the white people."

One of his friends -- a man whom police encountered with Berhe just hours before the shooting -- recalled Berhe stating it as an apparent mission:
"I got to shoot a cop or shoot a white person, you know, before I leave this world."

<a href='http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=mentalexams02m&date=2005
0702&query=robb' target='
_blank'>SUSPECT HAD TWO
MENTAL EXAMS BEFORE SLAYING
</a>
Seattle Times, 2 July 05

Teenager Samson Berhe was twice taken to Harborview Medical Center in the span of four days last month when he exhibited violent and threatening behavior, police said.

But his stay in the hospital was brief both times and he was deemed "not in need of treatment," according to police. [Not in need of treatment?!?]

["â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š¦]

In charging documents, prosecutors ackno
wledged that Berhe had a history of both mental instability and substance abuse.

LOCAL DIGEST ' ARRAIGNMENT DELAYED IN SLAYING OF COACH
Seattle Times, 8 July 05

<a href='http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/232061_clark11.html' target=
'_blank'>TO JUDGE CLARK, P
UNISHING KIDS IS NOT THE POINT<
/b></a>
Seattle P-I, 11 July 05

[This article downplays the gravity of Berhe's horrific crime ' obviously this affirmative action judge's kinder, gentler approach is not working.]

450clark20_job.jpg

In juvenile court there are no juries, and Judge Patricia Clark, who presides in King County, sometimes hands down sentences no more onerous than directing wayward teens to write about their hopes for the future.

This moth
erly guidance does little to dispel the notion held by some parents and prosecutors that juvenile court is the Romper Room of criminal justice, a kiddy-style mimicry of the real thing -- though many of the young people appearing before Clark are fully capable of adult-size crimes.

Samson Berhe, 18, recently charged with the apparently random[?], point-blank shooting of a popular high
school tennis coach, was summoned t
o juvenile court three years ago fo
r stealing a car. But the teenager never showed and a warrant for his arrest went nowhere.
Now Berhe is sitting in the King County Jail, awaiting arraignment on a murder charge.

He is like hundreds of young people Clark sees each year -- angry, difficult to reach, emotionally unstable -- so skeptics may question the efficacy of her approach. The judge makes conversation with each child, peering down through narrow, rectangular glasses while giving on-the-fly lessons about the legal system. She asks offenders whether they think she shoul
d lock them up or send them home.
[Gee, I wonder which one they choose...]

["â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š¦]

Public outrage at the apparent callousness of the crime has mounted, but to Clark, it is an example mainly of glaring failures within juvenile justice.

"Clearly this child has mental health issues, which had been obvious to people for some time," she said, noting that police h
ad taken Berhe to Harborview Medical Ce
nter for a psychiatric evaluation days
before the shooting. "As opposed to retribution, I would like to hear a community dialogue about closing these gaps." [?? Would this dialogue happen to involve someone named Al Sharpton?]

WOMAN CLAIMS SON'S INNOCENCE IN SEATTLE MURDER
KOMO, 27 July 05

[Samson's mother proclaims his innocence ' yeah, right. Has a video but had trouble getting it to play right. This is the latest article I could find - all the way back to July!]

Originally posted by Brewski@Jun 29 2005, 11:49 AM
I'm posting this and then I'm off.. I can't even think straight after reading this. :guns: :guns: :guns: <!--emo&:suspect:-
->http:

//newnation.vg/forums/style_emoticons/default/suspect.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='suspect.gif' />

--------------------

REFERENCE LINK: Tennis coach killed in random shooting

Random, my white ass!!! This 60-IQ hellbound nigger had a MOTIVE for this "RANDOM" crime!!!â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š Read on! 😠 😠 :angry:â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š

--------------------
--<b
r>
Documents, Neighbors Reveal Possible Murder Motive

SEATTLE -- Documents and interviews with neighbors are offering clues about the possibl
e motive for a 17-year-old's alleged slaying of a Bellevue high school tennis coach, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

Samson Y. Berhe, who turns 18 on Thursday, was ordered detained at a hearing Tuesday in juvenile court. He was arrested Monday after he was found on a barge across the Duwamish River from the shooting scene.

Photo caption: "Samson Y. Berhe"
http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0629/4665122_200X150.jpg

[B][COLOR=blue]Why hide his evil, coon face, KIRO???[/COLOR][/B]â┚¬Ã…¡ÃƒÆ’”�šÃ”š

[B]Michael Robb[/B], a tennis coach at Newport High School, was shot in the face Sunday night as he sat in his car on West Mar
ginal Way in Seattle. Witnesses said a male approa
ched the[/B]
[B]car and fired a shotgun through the open driver's side window, then ran toward the river

[B][COLOR=red]Neighbors told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News the teen said he had a grudge against white people.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=2]"He always say that he (was) gonna kill all the white people in the world," said Ann
a Bell Perkins. "Samson had, like, some sort of complex against Caucasian people. And he said he wanted to kill them all and told me I could watch," said another neighbor.[/SIZE][/B]

According to court documents, Behre owned a shotgun. Police cut down a tree from his yard and recovered a bullet of the same caliber used to kill Robb.

[B]An hour before Robb was shot, Berhe was investigated and released for a burglary near the shooting scene, police wrote in court papers.[/B]

-----------------

<a href=
'http://www.komotv.com/stories/37680.htm' target='_
blank'>&#39
;Mike Was Loved By All'</a>

[B]Victim of "random" racist murderous nigger impluse, Michael Robb[/B]
[IMG]http://www.komotv.com/news/images/mike_robb.jpg

BELLEVUE - Family, friends, and students at Newport High School are mourning the loss of Mike Robb, who was shot and killed while sitting in his car in West Seattle Sunday night.

Robb was a beloved husband, father, and tennis coach.

"Mike was loved by
all," said his wife Else. "A dynamic and beloved tennis coach, a loving husband and devoted father."

Else is the French teacher at the high school, while Mike was the boys' and girls' tennis coach. And even though it was a part time job, the staff says he was there so much, you would have though he was being paid full time.

His daughter Louisa -- just 14 months old -- was all Mike talked about for
the last 14 months. But she wasn't his only child. He
considered the N
ewport High School boys and girls tennis team his family too.

"Mike Robb was one of the most caring guys I've ever met," said tennis co-captain Garren Azama. "He had a huge heart."

For the last three years, Robb coached at Newport High and at the same time juggled officiating duties for countless tennis tournaments, including the U.S. Open. He was a stickler for the rules and good sportsmanship.

"You'll never see a Newport kid throw a tennis racket or do anything out of line," said athletic director Gil James.

Instru
ctor Russ Bucklin is putting on a good face for the kids he's instructing, but on the inside, it's a different story. He's played hundreds of tournaments and Robb officiated most of them. The last time he saw Mike, he ribbed him about a bad call during an Andre Agassi match at the Indian Wells Tournament in Palm Springs this year.

&qu
ot;In Mike fashion, he just owned up to it and said, 'Yea
h, I really blew tha
t call. Agassi is looking at me.' He had one of those umpire moments."

Now everyone including police want to know what happened in the moments leading up to his death.

"It's a travesty," said school principal Patty Siegwarth. "Here is someone that committed years to working with youth and incredibly dedicated and to have that happen."

There will be chance to say goodbye at a memorial service Thursday at 4:30 p.m. at Epiphany Parish in Madrona.

---------------------

Google News search fo
r Samson + Berhe
Pathetic niggers all round on this one.

The kid needs put on ice...the judge need's put back in the gorilla exhibit.

The travesty is the fact that
this nigger piece of trash shot a white loving husband and fathe
r purely for his skin co
lor, and instead of the judge revealing the true hate of nigger trash for white people, she comes up with bs out the ass.

On top of that...this nigger who hates white people and brazenly told people he wanted to kill them, supposedly HAS NO MOTIVE for killing this white tennis coach.

I can't decide who is the worst, the judge, the kid, or the press on this one.

Widow of slain coach sues parents of teenage suspect​

Originally published September 19, 2006 at 12:00 am Updated September 21, 2006 at 2:59 pm

The widow of a slain tennis coach is suing the parents of the mentally unstable teen accused of killing her husband last year, saying the...

By
Sara Jean Green

Seattle Times staff reporter

The widow of a slain tennis coach is suing the parents of the mentally unstable teen accused of killing her husband last year, saying the young man’s family was aware of the youth’s violent tendencies but did nothing to stop him from walking out their door with a shotgun.
In a civil lawsuit filed in King County Superior Court this month, Elsa Robb is seeking unspecified damages for herself and 2-year-old daughter Louisa for the death of her husband, Mike Robb. Robb was a popular Newport High School tennis coach and a nationally known tennis umpire who officiated at three U.S. Opens.
The suit claims that Yemane and Zodi Berhe were negligent in the supervision of their son, Samson Berhe.
Samson Berhe, now 19, remains at Western State Hospital in Lakewood, Pierce County, where doctors are attempting to restore his competency so he can stand trial on a first-degree murder charge.
Mike Robb was driving on West Marginal Way Southwest, on his way to his West Seattle home, when he was killed by a shotgun blast to the head about 7:30 p.m. June 26, 2005. Just before noon the next day, police found Samson Berhe, then 17, on a barge in the Duwamish River and arrested him in connection with Robb’s homicide.
At the time of his arrest, Berhe “made faces, contorted his lips, spoke in different voices, spit and drooled. He flexed his arms and challenged detectives to fight,” according to charging papers filed June 30, 2005 — Berhe’s 18th birthday.
People who knew Berhe, who is black, told police that he had previously made comments about wanting to shoot a police officer or a white person, charging papers say. Mike Robb was white.
According to Elsa Robb’s lawsuit, her husband’s death was preventable: “Samson’s parents were well aware of his dangerous propensities, his professed desire ‘to kill white people,’ his drug usage and his psychological problems, and even knew that he possessed a shotgun and ammunition, yet they failed to take appropriate steps to ensure that he did not act out on his violent fantasies,” the suit says.
Yemane and Zodi Berhe could not be reached for comment Monday, and it is unclear whether the couple has retained an attorney.
In the months before the fatal shooting, police were called to the Berhe residence in Seattle on several occasions, including three times the week before Robb was killed, a Seattle police spokesman said last year. Samson Berhe was twice taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for a psychiatric evaluation, but both times King County mental health professionals determined he was not in need of hospitalization.
After Berhe’s second evaluation, on June 23, 2005, his parents refused to pick him up at the hospital because they were afraid of him, according to police. Officials with Child Protective Services were called, and Berhe was taken home.
Two days later, he left his parents’ house with his belongings, including the shotgun used in the slaying and ammunition, according to Elsa Robb’s lawsuit.
An hour before Mike Robb was shot, Seattle police officers had stopped Berhe and another youth in connection with a residential burglary. While talking to the officers, Berhe apparently dropped shotgun shells onto the sidewalk but was released; police later learned that a spelling mistake had failed to turn up a juvenile warrant that had been issued for Berhe’s arrest for a previous crime, a spokesman said at the time.
Tim Leyh, the lawyer representing Elsa Robb, said it “is not at all unusual” to sue the parents of a minor in a wrongful-death lawsuit. Asked why Harborview and Seattle police were not named in the suit, Leyh declined to comment on his legal strategy.
The suit claims that despite “clear and chilling warning signs,” Yemane and Zodi Berhe failed to ensure their son didn’t have access to a shotgun, did not report him missing and did not tell police their “son was out on the streets with a shotgun and ammunition.”
King County deputy prosecutor Mary Barbosa said Samson Berhe was sent to Western State Hospital soon after his arrest. He was found not competent to stand trial, and in October doctors began trying to restore his competency, possibly through medication and therapy, she said.
On Nov. 6, Berhe’s doctors are expected to testify about whether Berhe is able to understand the nature of the legal proceedings and charges against him and whether he can assist his lawyers in his defense, Barbosa said.
At that point, a judge will rule whether Berhe is competent to stand trial.
If a judge rules Berhe is not competent, he will be sent back to the hospital indefinitely — and will stand trial only if and when doctors “determine he is competent,” Barbosa said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Insanity ruling in West Seattle killing​

Man headed to mental hospital instead of trial​

By TRACY JOHNSON, P-I REPORTER
May 5, 2008

960x0.webp

Samson Berhe, left, and attorney Byron Ward listen to Judge Dean Lum before a hearing that concluded the 20-year-old was insane when he killed Mike Robb in 2005.Joshua Trujillo/Seattle Post-Intelligencer
A young man who gunned down a popular high school tennis coach in West Seattle almost three years ago is headed for a mental hospital instead of a murder trial -- a decision that left the victim's family angry with the killer and the system.
A King County judge found Samson Berhe not guilty of murder, concluding he was insane when he shot Newport High School coach Mike Robb and sending the 20-year-old to a state institution until he is no longer considered a danger.
While prosecutors and Berhe's attorney agreed it was the right outcome, it only brought more pain for Robb's relatives, who said the crime could have been prevented.
"There were so many warning signs," said Robb's sister, Linda Robb Boardman. "How many cracks in the system does it take before someone steps up and takes action to stop a potential killer?"
Berhe had five run-ins with police in the week before the shooting. Seattle police say they took him to Harborview Medical Center for mental evaluations at least twice, but he was quickly released.
Officers even stopped Berhe and another man just three hours before Robb's death but didn't realize he had an outstanding arrest warrant because of a spelling glitch.
Berhe, who is black, told neighbors he wanted to kill a police officer or a white person before Robb was shot, according to court documents.
Deputy Prosecutor Mary Barbosa said she understood Robb's family didn't support the decision to lock Berhe in a mental institution instead of prison, "and it's hard not to blame them."
"This comes down to, frankly, the best opportunity to protect society," she said.
Superior Court Judge Dean Lum said it was "clear that the defendant brutally murdered, in a senseless manner, a fine man," but found that the young man was either not able to perceive what he was doing that day, or unable to tell right from wrong.
Berhe could remain at Western State Hospital for a few years, the rest of his life, or anywhere in between. A judge would decide, based on doctors' recommendations, if or when he should be granted any degree of freedom.
Berhe was standing on the side of West Marginal Way Southwest on July 26, 2005. A witness told police he seemed agitated and was yelling to himself.
Robb, 46, was driving home but turned back "to help a guy who appeared to be in distress," said Robb's brother, Ren. "He paid for that act with his life."
Robb stopped. Berhe went to the driver's side window and shot him in the head.
In court, Robb's relatives wept as they told the judge what kind of person he was. A much-loved tennis coach. A devoted Red Sox fan. A father whose greatest joy was his 1-year-old daughter.
As a boy he loved magic tricks, cherished his pets and taught his sister how to juggle, jump on a pogo stick and whistle through her fingers.
"He found the positive in a world that had not always been good or fair to him," his sister, Cordelia Robb, said through tears.

"He had an amazing heart, which is why he would have stopped to help this person in the first place."
Struggling with English, Berhe's mother, Zewdi Berhe, told Mike Robb's family she was "very, very sorry" for what happened. "My son, he has mental illness," she said softly.

He was diagnosed late last year with paranoid schizophrenia. His attorney, Byron Ward, said the intensity of the young man's psychosis was unusual, noting that it took more than two years for doctors to help him become competent to face the charge.

Berhe had delusions that he'd been "chosen" to rise to the status of "Creator" and had nearly all of God's powers, according to a mental evaluation done late last year.

While at Western State Hospital, he talked about the CIA and "fake Americans." A doctor said it was clear he had genuine mental problems but suggested he sometimes exaggerated them.

Berhe also reported hearing voices, paranoia and an ability to read minds. He was sometimes seen rapidly shaking his head for no apparent reason, the doctor wrote, and detailed "an elaborate paranoid delusional system" involving God, Jesus and the devil.
Several more recent evaluations of Berhe's mental condition were not made public.

Back