Coon Chose The Wrong State Fo' TNB!

Nigtarded

Da TNB Reporter
Murderer To Die For Clerk's Killing

Michael Riley Killed Clerk in Quitman, Texas

POSTED: Tuesday, May 19, 2009
UPDATED: 6:45 am CDT May 19, 2009

19501212_480X270.jpg

HUNTSVILLE, Texas -- Condemned prisoner Michael Riley wasn't volunteering to die but had asked his friends to not pray for a reprieve that would keep him from the Texas death chamber Tuesday evening.

"I've been locked up 23 years," Riley, 51, said recently from a tiny visiting cage outside death row. "I've been going through this over and over. It's getting old."

With his appeals exhausted and the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles refusing a clemency request. Riley was set to die for fatally stabbing a store clerk during a robbery
in 1986 in his hometown of Quitman in East Texas.

His lethal injection would be the 15th this year in the nation's most active death penalty state.

Riley had been a frequent customer at the Shop-A-Minit convenience store and when he walked in and asked for ice cream on a Saturday morning, clerk Wynona Lynn Harris told him to help himself. She was busy counting money.

Riley pulled out a 10-inch butcher knife, stabbed her in the back and kept stabbing. After inflicting nearly three dozen wounds, he walked out with about $1,000 in a money bag and a left a trail of bloody footprints leading toward his home a few blocks away.

"He stabbed her with such force he bent the end of the blade and bent the handle on the concrete floor when he was ramming it through her," recalled Marcus Taylor, the former district attorney in Wood County who prosecuted Riley for capital murder. "The crime scene was
extremely violent. He severed bones all over her body."

Speaking to The Associated Press from death row, Riley readily acknowledged the slaying and blamed a gambling addiction for repeatedly getting him into trouble.

"Dice," he said. "I've been a gambler all my life. I was weak. Every time I was locked up, it was dice games I lost."

In 2005, Riley was within days of execution when lawyers contending he was mentally disabled and ineligible for capital punishment won a court-ordered reprieve.

"You can't be scared to die," he said. "After so many years here, you should be prepared for it."

Riley was well known to authorities in Quitman, about 75 miles east of Dallas. When charged with Harris' slaying, he was on probation for forgery for writing a bad check. He received a nine-year prison term in 1980 for burglary but was paroled three years later. He had an earlier prison stint for burglary, plus arrests and jail time in Wood County for burglary, public intoxication, ass
ault and theft.

"It was all my doing," he said of the killing. "It was something that shouldn't have happened. I can't get it out of my head."

He turned himself in to the sheriff's office a few hours after the murder after learning authorities were looking for him. He'd been seen outside the store just before the time of the attack by a man who'd made a milk delivery there. He confessed after detectives found his bloodstained coveralls containing money taken from the store in a field near his home.

Riley was convicted and sentenced to death in 1986, but the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in 1991 overturned the conviction, finding a potential juror was dismissed improperly. At his retrial in 1995, he pleaded guilty. At punishment, his lawyers argued for life in prison. Prosecutors sought death and jurors agreed with them.

Taylor said the length of time between the crime and the punishment was frustrating.

"He's been on death row longer than the victim lived on this
earth,"
the now retired prosecutor said.

Riley is among the two dozen longest serving of Texas' 334 condemned prisoners. When he arrived on death row in November 1986, 18 inmates had been executed since the state resumed carrying out capital punishment in 1982. Riley now would be the 438th put to death.

"So many guys went through this before," he said, describing himself as lucky and blessed. "I've made peace with God. I've asked him to forgive me. One day that passes just makes it closer. I won't jump up and down, but I'll be free."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/19501157/detail.html#

:cheers2:

Re: Hims ded!

Texas Man Executed For 1986 Murder

Michael Lynn Riley Killed Wynona Harris

POSTED: Wednesday, May 20, 2009

HUNTSVILLE, Texas -- Locked up longer than his 23-year-old murder victim lived, condemned killer Michael Lynn Riley was executed for fatally stabbing a mother of two during a convenience store robbery in East Texas.

"For those people that may think death penalty cases don't get proper examination, this is certainly evidence that's not true," Marcus Taylor, the now-retired Wood County district attorney who prosecuted Riley and sought the death penalty, said after watching Riley's punishment carried out.

Riley, 51, apologized repeatedly in the moments before he received lethal injection Tuesday evening and became the 15th condemned prisoner executed in the nation's busiest death penalt
y state.

"I know I hurt you very bad," he told relatives of Wynona Harris, the woman stabbed and slashed in February 1986 at a store in Quitman as she was robbed of about $1,000. "I truly am sorry for the hurt and pain I caused you."

Brandy Oaks, who was 4 when her mother was killed, said she accepted Riley's apology and was pleased to hear it, although she had been prepared for the possibility Riley could wind up with a life prison term.

"This is a difficult day and there are no winners on either side," she said.

Oaks' sister, Jennifer Bevill, who was 1 1/2 at the time of the slaying, said she had to pray to seek forgiveness "for this person that has done this to your family."

"It's strange. It's almost like I never had her to begin with," Bevill said about losing her mother.

While he didn't volunteer for execution, Riley had asked friends to not pray that he receive a reprieve, and he repeated that sentiment to friends wh
o witnessed his death.

"I told you years ago that I was ready," he said.

Eight minutes later, after urging his fellow death row inmates to "stay strong" and that "Fleetwood is out of here," using his death row nickname, Riley was pronounced dead.

His appeals were exhausted and no last-ditch attempts to delay the execution were filed. The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles also turned down a clemency request.

Harris worked at the Shop-A-Minit convenience store in his hometown of Quitman, about 75 miles east of Dallas, and was a frequent customer. When he walked in that Saturday morning in February 1986 and asked for ice cream, she told him to help himself while she counted some money.

Instead, he attacked her with a 10-inch butcher knife, stabbing and slashing her nearly three dozen times, then fled with about $1,000 in a money bag.

A customer looking to get a gas pump turned on went inside the store and spotted Harris' battered body.

Taylor sa
id Tuesday evening Riley's death was considerably more peaceful.

"It did not have the force and violence that hers did,"
he said.

A milk delivery driver told police he noticed a man in distinctive coveralls hanging around outside the store. Detectives also followed bloody footprints to the murder weapon and a money bag.

Riley, who was on probation at the time for a bad check conviction, turned himself in to authorities later that day after hearing police were looking for him. After detectives recovered his coveralls and the stolen money inside them, he confessed.

Riley said gambling losses prompted the killing.

"Dice took my life," he told The Associated Press recently from prison. "It's the worst drug habit you can have."

In 2005, Riley was within days of execution when lawyers contending he was mentally disabled and ineligible for capital punishment won a court-ordered reprieve. Courts subsequently ruled he was not mentally disabled.

Besides the forgery
conviction for writing a bad check, he had an earlier nine-year prison term in 1980 for burglary but was paroled after three years. He had another prison stint for burglary, plus arrests and jail time in Wood County for burglary, public intoxication, assault and theft.

He was convicted of Harris' murder in 1986 and sentenced to death but the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals five years later overturned the conviction, finding a potential juror was dismissed improperly. At his retrial in 1995, he pleaded guilty. Lawyers argued for life in prison. Prosecutors sought death and jurors agreed with them.

At least six other Texas death row inmates have execution dates in the coming months, including Terry Hankins, 34, scheduled to die June 2 for a shooting rampage eight years ago in Tarrant County that left his two stepchildren dead. The children's mother also was gunned down.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/19514995/detail.html

:cheers2:

Back