Confederate Knights of the Ku Klux Klan (New Jersey)

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
Klan Plans March In Southern N.J. Town

http://www.nbc10.com/news/10459674/detail.html

Klan Plans March In Southern N.J. Town

POSTED: 2:21 pm EST December 4, 2006
UPDATED: 2:43 pm EST December 4, 2006

HAMMONTON, N.J. -- Members of the Ku Klux Klan are planning a demonstration in Millville next year.

Imperial Wizard Joseph Bednarsky Jr. has filed paperwork in the Cumberland County town, saying members would wear robes and hoods and pass out fliers.

Earlier this year, a councilman called on police to investigate whether the KKK had planted asbestos under the old town hall to stop a minority-owned company from getting the job of moving the building.

RACE -- The KKK's inroads in the Northeast

RACE -- The KKK's inroads in the Northeast

Joe Bednarsky is one of the most mild-mannered Klansmen you could ever meet.

He despises Ku Klux Klan members who use the n-word at public rallies, describing such talk as "ignorant" and "uneducated." He denounces those who claim whites should control blacks, saying he dreams of white separatism, not white supremacy. In his work life, he has "absolutely no problem" dealing with blacks, Jews or Latinos.

Most of his hate speech, at least to asap, is reserved for neo-Nazis - he describes them as "criminal" and "anti-American."

447-287ASAP_NEWS_KKK_IN_THE_NORTHEAST.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.42.jpg

Bednarsky is the self-styled leader of the Confederate Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, based in his never-been-Confederate home state of New Jersey - one of a growing number of Klan groups in the northeastern United States.

As America and the world mark the 39th anniversary Wednesday of the assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., asap looks into whether the racially divisive KKK is expanding north and east - and trying to reinvent itself in the process.

---

904-ASAP_NEWS_KKK_IN_THE_NORTHEAST.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.42.jpg

A 'NEW KLAN'?

According to a recent report by the Anti-Defamation League, a group that fights anti-Semitism, northern Klansmen like Bednarsky are enjoying increasing support as whites react to the growing immigration-rights movement.

The report found that the Klan "has experienced a surprising and troubling resurgence due to the successful exploitation of hot-button issues." Klan groups are focusing on immigration, but also on gay marriage and urban crime, as they sprout up in parts of northern states like New Jersey where they were previously unknown.

Bednarsky doesn't often agree with the Anti-Defamation League, but on that point he is in total agreement:

"I'm hearing reports from around the country of a rise in support. It's not necessarily membership but it's people coming to us talking about immigration and other issues."

He sees himself as part of the new Klan movement, in step with others who want to reach out to middle-of-the-road whites who might not don hoods and burn crosses, but who resent immigrants moving into their neighborhoods.

---

SAME AS THE OLD KLAN?

"Don't be fooled."

That's the simple advice of Mark Pitcavage, director of investigative research for the Anti-Defamation League. He has seen this "new Klan" idea carried out before, by Arkansas-based grand wizard and pastor Thomas Robb, who has banned his members from chewing tobacco or using the n-word (at least in public) in an attempt to reach mainstream white society.

"This is a matter of style, not substance," Pitcavage says, "The message that some of the northern Klansmen are giving out may not be as crude as some of the other Klans, but it's just bigotry dressed up."

For Pitcavage, the new racism built on the immigration debate cannot simply be measured in the number of new Klan chapters or members.

"The Klan is notoriously internecine," he said. "They break apart and reform all the time. Some racist groups are increasing in membership but many are happy to stir up white discontent about immigration and black-on-white crime. They try to get people active who are not necessarily members of racist groups."

There are many ways to read the new mild-mannered Klan-lite leaders like Joe Bednarsky. In his own eyes, he is the leader of the new Klan, bravely directing his members around the country and bringing the white separatist message to thousands of angry white voters. He also sees himself as an internationalist, with strong ties to the Jewish-hating Iranian government.

To New Jersey-based anti-racism activist Daryle Jenkins, however, Bednarsky is "one sad case."

"He lives with his mother. He doesn't have this great network across America, he barely has any friends within the Klan," he says.

---

WHAT COMES NEXT?

Bednarsky, who lives in southern New Jersey - less than 50 miles from Philadelphia - is determined to prove Jenkins wrong. He spends a lot of time in the town of Millville taking care of his elderly mother, but the image of him as a lonely man planning Klan meetings from his mother's basement is a falsehood, he says.

To prove his point, he is organizing a Klan rally on May 12 in nearby Hammonton, N.J., where a town councilor refused to apologize for suggesting the New Jersey Klan had tried to spread asbestos in the town hall. Bednarsky is rallying his moderate Klan friends to highlight the local town's injustice to his group.

He has applied for a protest permit, but has contacted the ACLU to help fight the $10 permit fee.

Not exactly the cross-burning, terrifying Klan of decades past.

"Joe Bednarsky is beyond flaky," laughed Daryle Jenkins, whose mind turned to the sympathies for the KKK that a former president (and New Jersey governor) was thought to have. "He's no Woodrow Wilson, and the southern Klans don't have a whole lot to do with him."

The real danger, he says, is from the racial tension that people like Bednarsky try to stir up.

"They can feed into existing problems," says Jenkins. "They can stir up trouble, but ultimately their moment was a long, long time ago and it's not coming back."

KKK rally canceled

KKK rally canceled

HAMMONTON -- The leader of an area chapter of the Ku Klux Klan has canceled a planned May 12 demonstration and is calling for the dissolution of the chapter.

Joseph V. Bednarsky Jr. on Friday acknowledged the Ku Klux Klan is a hate group and asked for forgiveness from residents and town officials.

"It's going nowhere," Bednarsky said. "I just don't want to do it anymore."

Bednarsky said he joined the KKK back in 1986, when he was just 18 years old. He formed his own group, Confederate Knights, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan in 1992.

"I express deep regret for ever joining," Bednarsky said. "I have not only lied to myself but others as well in stating that it was not about hate when in fact it was."

:cry1:

Bednarsky's announcement comes just days after he appeared before the Town Council seeking an update on its permit application for the demonstration, which was slated for outside the Post Office.

At that meeting, Bednarsky also sought unsuccessfully to receive an apology from Councilman Rock Colasurdo. Published reports last year stated Colasurdo believed the KKK was behind asbestos found underneath the original Town Hall site.

Shortly thereafter, Bednarsky began the demonstration planning. The event would have at least five robed and hooded Klansmen distributing literature on the KKK and asbestos.

Bednarsky said Monday he expected to mail a letter to Town Solicitor Brian Howell this week notifying the town of the cancellation.

Mayor John DiDonato said Monday it was good to put the episode to rest.

"I believe that everyone is happy that this is behind us. The sun can now shine on the town's positives," DiDonato said.

Reached Tuesday, Colasurdo echoed the mayor's views.

"Something happened to (Bednarsky's) mind and the Lord made him see the light," Colasurdo said. "I can't put it any nicer than that. We're all just happy it's over."

Howell said last week the group would have been treated no differently than any other organization seeking such a permit. Officials earlier stated that Bednarsky's group would need to provide names, addresses and Social Security numbers of the members participating.

The Klan held a demonstration this year in Millville. The event was not violent but did result in one arrest of an anti-Klan group member who allegedly used profanity.

On Sunday, Bednarsky offered his apologies.

"I would first like to publicly apologize for everything that I ever said or did to anyone that was in a hateful manner. The list is long but I would like to start with the citizens of Millville for the many years I have said and did some hateful things to many of them and hope they will find in their hearts to forgive me someday," Bednarsky said in a statement. "I would also like to apologize to the citizens of Hammonton and Hazleton for wanting to bring the Ku Klux Klan to their town and hope that not only the citizens forgive me but also the city officials as well."

:cry1:

Bednarsky feels his future actions will show how sorry he is for his past actions.

"I also understand that this is not something that will just change overnight and will take time to overcome," he said.

Bednarsky said he is currently working on a book on his experiences as a Klansman and now an ex-Klansman entitled "Life Behind the Mask." He said the book is due to be released in September 2008.

----------------------
A few words to describe race-traitors:

Pusillanimous

ADJECTIVE: Ignobly lacking in courage: chickenhearted, cowardly, craven, dastardly, faint-hearted, lily-livered, unmanly. Slang : chicken, gutless, yellow, yellow-bellied.

Contemptible

ADJECTIVE: So objectionable as to elicit despisal or deserve condemnation: abhorrent, abominable, antipathetic, despicable, despisable, detestable, disgusting, filthy, foul, infamous, loathsome, lousy, low, mean, nasty, nefarious, obnoxious, odious, repugnant, rotten, shabby, vile, wretched.

Disreputable

ADJECTIVE: Meriting or causing shame or dishonor: discreditable, disgraceful, dishonorable, ignominious, opprobrious, shameful.

Back