Confederate flags adorn Texas doorways

Rasp

Senior Editor
Confederate flags adorn Texas doorways

Confederate flags placed on Frisco doors

FRISCO - The Confederate Navy Jack flag is a symbol of the South. To many, it represents hatred and to some living in a Frisco apartment complex, the message left on their door was loud and clear.

0611hate_8230-t240.jpg

Apartment residents usually find notices and rent statements on clips beside their doors. They never expected to find rebel flags.

"I was devastated because I couldn't believe it was there," said resident Cedric Bell.

Bell and his wife say they looked at other apartments in their building, but didn't find any other flags.

"To me,
it's a symbol of hatred and racism. And for someone to put that on my door, and... for no one else to have it on their door, I feel targeted and I feel like it's a threat," said Hilda Bell.

Frisco police found 15 flags on doors in three different buildings. An apartment manager told us someone placed a flag on the model and vacant units.

"It really hurt me. I mean, me being from Mississippi, and moving here for a better life and still having to see this and experience this is terrible," said Cedric Bell. [FU Nigger!]

Police say they're not considering it a hate crime because people of different races got flags, including Jason Weir.

"Well, I'll be honest. I was offended by it, as well. Things like that don't need to be going on," he said.

The flag used, known as the Jackson flag, is a replica of the second flag that flew over the confederate states in the 1860s.

Hilda Koonce says she's rather not se
e it again, especially at her front door.

"This is the first time in my 27 years that I have ever experienced something like this. It's sad because it's 2008," she said.

Back