Ariel Menendez raped/murdered Elizabeth Butler

-88-

Registered
Slay suspect seen on tape hitting girl, cop says at hearing

A jealous ex-boyfriend accused of killing a 17-year-old North Salem girl was recorded on videotape a week earlier hitting her at the market where she worked, a state police investigator testified yesterday.

Prosecutors may want to use the tape at the upcoming murder trial of Ariel Menendez, 27, of the Bronx to show that he was abusive toward Elizabeth Butler and could not accept that she had dumped him.

The tape was discussed at a hearing on the admissibility of Menendez's statements and other evidence. He goes on trial next week, charged with first- and second-degree murder and other felonies in the June 5 slaying. Butler's body was discovered that morning by her parents after she did not show up for work at Hygrade Market. The body was in her Nissan Pathfinder, parked near the Croton F
alls train station and a short walk from the market.

Authorities contend that Menendez raped Butler before stabbing and strangling her. According to investigators, he insisted that the sex was consensual and that he flipped out and struck her with the knife as they argued in the car that morning.

The videotape was discovered after the killing and a clerk who was behind the counter at the time identified Butler and her ex-boyfriend on the tape, Investigator Darren Bialek testified. She told him that she had not seen Menendez hit Butler that day, May 28, but did remember overhearing Butler insist "we're on a friends basis now" and that Menendez was upset by that.

"She could sense the tension between them," Bialek said of the clerk.

Menendez's lawyer, Harvey Loeb, asked Bialek if the tape showed the two kissing outside after the fight. The investigator said it did not.

Bialek also testified about searching Menendez's Bronx home a day after the slaying and finding a set of st
eak knives that matched the knife found at the crime scene. The prosecution intends to use that to show premeditation on Menendez's part.

Loeb has refused to reveal a defense in the case. His client faces life in prison without parole if convicted of first-degree murder.

There were no eyewitnesses to the killing. But another prosecution witness testified yesterday about seeing Menendez at the train station about the time Butler's body was discovered. The woman, Selvi Sinanaj, said she saw a Hispanic man walk out from the parking lot, enter the train platform and then walk toward her.

She was unaware of the killing but recalled what she had seen a week later when investigators were canvassing the area for witnesses. She testified that the man got visibly nervous and cursed when a police car pulled up near the station.

When Assistant District Attorney Paula Branca Santos asked if she could identify the man in court, Sinanaj said she couldn't remember. Without looking at Menendez,
she said she thought it was the man in the white shirt, which the defendant was wearing.

When Westchester County Judge Barbara Zambelli said, "You have to look at him," Loeb objected to her phrasing it that way. The judge said it was clear the witness was nervous. When Loeb then asked Sinanaj whether she was sure the defendant was the man she saw, she answered, "I'm sure it looks like him."

The hearing is expected to wrap up today and jury selection could begin as early as Monday.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060505/NEWS07/605050391/1018/NEWS02

Defendant in killing of North Salem teen said he 'flipped out,' police testify

A Bronx man accused of killing ex-girlfriend Elizabeth Butler told detectives that he had "makeup" sex with the North Salem teen before choking and stabbing her in the back seat of her Nissan Pathfinder, a police investigator has testified.

But police contend that 27-year-old Ariel Menendez raped Butler and then killed her.

Whether Menendez's statement and other evidence will be permitted in next week's murder trial is the subject of a pretrial hearing that began yesterday and continues today.

Butler's parents sat grim-faced in the gallery, as state police Investigator Darren Daughtry described the killing of their 17-year-old daughter at the Croton Falls train station the morning of June 5.

Daughtry was among those who took Menendez into custody hours after
the slaying of the popular North Salem High School senior, tracking him down at his aunt's house in Stamford, Conn.

Daughtry said that when he walked into the apartment, "I asked him, 'Why am I here?' He responded, 'I know why. I hurt Liz.' "

Later, at the police station, Daughtry said, he read Menendez his Miranda rights, before Menendez calmly described what he had done.

"I just flipped out, I don't know why," Daughtry recalled Menendez saying. "I just got angry and flipped out." Menendez purportedly added, "I should have just killed myself rather than hurting her."

Menendez said he met Butler while getting food at the Hygrade Market, where she worked. They dated for about a year before they broke up. A month later, on June 4, he showed up at her house and stayed in the backyard to avoid being seen by her parents. When she came home that night, she allowed him to sleep in her Pathfinder, he told police. The next morning, they drove together to the train station.

He
told Daughtry they argued and made up, having sex in the back seat, before arguing again. He said he then stabbed her multiple times and choked her.

Menendez said he then fled on foot to the Purdys train station, where his sister picked him up and drove him to the Bronx. There, he dropped off his bloody clothes before getting another ride to Stamford, Daughtry said.

Menendez later pleaded not guilty to murder, sex and weapon charges that could send him to prison for life without parole. He is charged with first-degree murder because he is accused of committing another felony, first-degree rape, during the attack.

"He described it as lovemaking," Daughtry testified, under questioning from Assistant District Attorney Perry Perrone. Defense attorney Harvey Loeb has yet to cross-examine the officer.

Before leaving the courtroom for a break, Menendez looked over at the Butlers and stared for a few seconds, though they barely acknowledged him.

The victim's parents, who discovered
their daughter's body, said no punishment would be enough.

"On the personal level, there can never be justice ultimately," said her father, William Butler.

"This is very difficult to sit through," said Elizabeth Butler's uncle, Ed Kowalski, who joined the parents. "It's been a very difficult year. We feel Elizabeth's loss more and more each day."

The hearing will continue at 9:30 a.m. before Judge Barbara Zambelli in Westchester County Court.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060504/NEWS07/605040359

hbutler4lc.jpg

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=news07&theme=HOMICIDE05&template=theme

wabc060905fun35vq.jpg

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_060905_finalfarewell.html#

google cache

Hey Gman thanks and I sure agree with you, white women dating spooks and spics rarely works out for them and it usually turns them into a victim in one way or another. This poor girl was a victim of the ultimate crime. What a shame.

Great to chat with you again. This new board is great, so glad WB upgraded it. I remember him mentioning that he's been wanting to upgrade it, and he finially did!

"If he had been deported, my daughter would be alive today"

Menendez found guilty

An unrepentant Ariel Menendez swore at the courtroom after a jury found him guilty of first-degree murder and rape of his ex-girlfriend, a speedy verdict that could send him to prison for the rest of his life.

"Ariel, coward!" Patricia Butler, mother of murder victim Elizabeth Butler, shouted back at Menendez before he was led away in handcuffs.

Westchester District Attorney Janet DiFiore said she now will seek to have the 28-year-old locked up for life without parole, calling this the "only appropriate sentence" for the brutal raping, stabbing and strangling of a 17-year-old girl.

The conviction on the top charges came ye
sterday afternoon, just two hours after jurors began deliberations in Westchester County Court.

Elizabeth Butler's parents said they were surprised at how quickly the decision came, and they praised law enforcement for its success, but there were no smiles even when the verdict was read.

"I don't know how you replace thousands of lost moments," Bill Butler said of his daughter, who was set to graduate from North Salem High School and head to college when she was murdered. "We can't.

"It's not a happy event," he said. "All I can say is we're pleased with the verdict."

He and his wife, Patricia, found their daughter's body in her Nissan Pathfinder the morning of June 5 after she didn't show up for work at the Hygrade Market across from the Croton Falls train station. Prosecutors said Menendez, who met Butler at the market while working at a nearby construction job, raped and then killed her because he could not accept that their relationship was over.

The crime shocked
the small, quiet community, where many locals knew Butler from her activities in high school, the Girl Scouts, the market and the nursery at Hardscrabble Tennis Club.

During the two-week trial, the defense argued that the prosecution couldn't prove its first-degree murder case because there was no sexual assault, only consensual sex. But prosecutors presented extensive DNA evidence showing Menendez's semen at the crime scene and Butler's blood on the clothes he tried to get rid of that day. They said the proof she was raped and intentionally killed was the knife he took from his friend's apartment the previous day.

Jurors asked for a readback on some of that evidence, before returning with the verdict minutes later. Butler's parents, with hands clasped, stared intently at Menendez.

"I just needed to see his face when he was found guilty," Patricia Butler said. "He took my daughter away from me and I had to see justice done."

Menendez held his head down, showing no reaction at
first. A member of the defense team rubbed his back to comfort him, before he directed a profanity at the gallery.

"Who's going to rub Elizabeth's back?" Patricia Butler shouted at Menendez after calling him a coward.

Menendez's relatives left the courthouse before the verdict came back.

Prosecutors got everything they were looking for, a conviction on two counts of first-degree murder, first-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act. Menendez faces 20 years to life without parole in state prison on the murder conviction when he is sentenced July 25 before Judge Barbara Zambelli.

"On the morning of June 5, 2005, the life of a young woman was cut short and many others were changed forever," DiFiore said later. "Although the conviction of this defendant will send him to prison effectively for the rest of his life, the loss that the victim's family and friends have endured will be with them for the rest of their lives."

She congratulated the state police and prosecut
ion team for the conviction and said, "I will seek the maximum penalty allowed by law at the sentencing."

The Butlers, who joined DiFiore for a press conference, said they hope the case will teach young people about the dangers of abuse in relationships, a cause they're promoting through the newly created Elizabeth Gabrielle Butler Angel Foundation.

"As bad as some things are in life, we hope some good will come of it," Bill Butler said.

Patricia Butler denounced the fact that Menendez, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, was allowed to remain in the United States after past convictions for felony driving while intoxicated and other offenses.

"If he had been deported, my daughter would be alive today," she said.

North Salem teen's dad tells of finding her body in SUV

William Butler knew something was wrong when his daughter Elizabeth's co-worker said she hadn't shown up for work June 5. And the feeling of unease worsened when he spotted her sport utility vehicle nearby with a flat tire.

But most alarming that Sunday morning was when he saw the streaks of blood on the passenger seat. Then he opened the back door and saw the 17-year-old's body wedged between the front and back seats.

"Most dramatic was she had a knife sticking out of her side," he testified yesterday in Westchester County Court in White Plains. "I backed up and screamed to my wife and said Elizabeth's name."

Butler was the first witness in the murder trial of Ariel Mene
ndez, the 28-year-old Bronx man accused of raping Elizabeth Butler and then strangling and stabbing her that morning in her Nissan Pathfinder in North Salem.

Assistant District Attorney Paula Branca-Santos said Menendez could not accept being dumped by his teenage girlfriend and that he brought a kitchen knife to their last confrontation in anticipation of killing her. She said the prosecution had "compelling, powerful and overwhelming" evidence against Menendez, including Butler's blood and his semen on his clothing that he later had a relative try to throw out.

"As Bill Butler and Patty Butler discussed their ordinary plans for that day, Ariel Menendez was actually carrying out his extraordinary plans, plans he hatched the night before," Branca-Santos told the jury in opening statements before Westchester County Judge Barbara Zambelli. "Two miles away (from their home), Ariel Menendez was raping and murdering their 17-year-old daughter ... bringing her short life to a violent end."

Def
ense lawyer Harvey Loeb conceded that the two had a rocky relationship and it was a tragedy that Butler was killed. But he suggested that the two had consensual sex in the car that morning and that the prosecution would not be able to prove the charges against his client beyond a reasonable doubt.

Menendez is charged with first- and second-degree murder. He could face life in prison with no possibility of parole if prosecutors can convince the jury that Butler was sexually assaulted and that Menendez intentionally killed her during the course of that attack.

Elizabeth Butler was three weeks shy of graduating from North Salem High School when she was killed. She was a peer counselor at the high school and was excited about the prospect of leaving home for college. She had planned to attend Albany University, SUNY.

Menendez and Butler met in the summer before her senior year when she worked at the Hygrade Market across from the train station. Menendez would stop by there on breaks from a ne
arby construction job.

Her family was later introduced to him as "Carlos" and was unaware of Menendez's real name and age. Butler said his daughter told him Menendez was 19. He said he met him a few times, but Menendez was "not very conversant."

They dated for nearly a year, but she broke off the relationship several weeks before she was killed. Her father said she had begun dating a high school classmate, who took her to the prom, and that she seemed shocked when Menendez showed up at their house before school one morning in May.

Menendez showed no emotion as the trial began, sometimes leaning on his hand, sometimes resting his head on the defense table. Not once did he look at the witness stand, even while Butler stared in his direction as he identified the defendant for the record.

Butler was planning to take his daughter to Hygrade the morning of June 5 because he needed the SUV while his car was disabled. But he did not wake up in time, and when she seemed antsy to leave for
work, he told her to take the SUV, that he would pick it up from her later.

"She said, 'OK. Bye. Love you,' " he told Assistant District Attorney Perry Perrone.

Two hours later, she wasn't at the market. He left a message on her cell phone and drove around the block, where he and his wife spotted the Pathfinder.

Once he saw her body, Butler said, he removed the knife, tossed it aside and then gently put her on the back seat.

Several people in the gallery sobbed, and one female juror wiped away tears, as Butler explained how he tried giving her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and how it seemed like forever for police and an ambulance to arrive, even though he knew it took only a few minutes.

His daughter was pronounced dead an hour later at Putnam Hospital Center in Carmel.

Butler identified a yellow fabric that was around his daughter's neck and a bent, 4-inch knife as the one he pulled from his daughter's side. He tossed the knife back into the evidence box with a
thud.

But not all the details came back to him. When Perrone showed him a crime-scene photograph and asked if he remembered if there was blood in a particular location, Butler said he did not.

"I was focused on this little girl with a knife on her on the floor," he said.

Killer of North Salem, N.Y. girl gets life in prison

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) ? A man was sentenced today to life in prison without parole for the rape and murder of his teenage ex-girlfriend, whose body was found in a parked car near a suburban train station.

Ariel Menendez, 28, of the Bronx was convicted May 29 of first-degree murder and rape in the stabbing and strangulation of Elizabeth Butler, 17, whose body was discovered by her parents after the brutal attack in June 2005.

Butler lived in North Salem, N.Y.

The sentencing was interrupted by an outburst from Menendez, who began cursing and shouting at the victim?s family. The killer had also cursed when a Westchester County jury convicted him after just two hours of deliberations.

Menendez left the girl?s body inside
her Nissan Pathfinder, which was parked at the Croton Falls Metro-North train station. The high school senior worked nearby.

According to authorities, Menendez became enraged after the teen broke off their relationship.

Menendez had told Elizabeth and her parents that he was a 21-year-old construction worker, not a 27-year-old illegal alien with a prior arrest for felony drunk driving plus additional minor offenses. Elizabeth had broken up with him and was dating someone else.

Grief did not blind Elizabeth’s mother to the devastating results to her family from open borders.

Patricia Butler denounced the fact that Menendez, an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, was allowed to remain in the United States after past convictions for felony driving while intoxicated and other offenses.

If he had been deported, my daughter would be alive today,” she said.

http://img190
.imageshack.us/img190/9146/12118734112986261669nc0.jpg

menendeza1py1.jpg
LowdownSpic
166706gn8.jpg

Back