Another Sinking Niglet Story

Mammy In Critical Condition

UPPER DEERFIELD TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- A life-and death rescue attempt came up short in a South Jersey creek as an 11-year-old boy drowns and his mother is clinging to life.

The tragedy happened Thursday in Maple Creek in Downe Township, N.J., when a family from Fairfield Township were playing in a place where people are not supposed to be in the water.

"We were like swimming, we was playing in the water," chuttered Vanilla Hatch, 14.

Before Hatch knew it, the tide had changed in the Maple Creek and her family was swept away.

"We had chairs in the water. My little brother, he went to go look for the chairs. He went by the
urrent, but the current pulled him," Hatch said.

The current not only pulled in Howard Hatch, 11, it also captured his brother, Harold Hatch, 12, and the children's mother, Rosa Chatum, 32.<b

r>
"I almost got my mom and that is when I slipped and the
current tried to pull me in. I ran out of the water to go get help. I ran up and down the street trying to find people," Hatch said.

A nearby fishermen dove into the creek and found Howard submerged and not breathing. He tried to resuscitate the boy but it was too late; later, he found the boy's mother under the water.

An off-duty state trooper who showed up at the scene helped get the woman out of the creek.

The girl's mother is still hospitalized.

North Miami drops swimming test to gain black cops

"White men can't jump"

Q: Why have so few blacks gone into swimming as a sport?

A: I think there are social factors but there are also two very fascinating biological factors. One is that blacks have more dense muscles and skeletons. The lower body fat is a plus in many sports, but not so in swimming; it makes them what are called sinkers. Also, people of west African ancestry have about 15 percen
less lung capacity; it makes them lousy distance runners and, virtually all swimming events, from 100-meters on up, are aerobic sports, so people of west African ancestry are not very good at them. I think

that ends-up being a biological barrier.

Back