4 Flint school administrators not certified

White Devil

Registered

Note: Flint schools are 100% negro ran and dominated.

FLINT - Four school administrators could lose their jobs this month because they are not state-certified as administrators.

Last month, 16 administrators were at risk of losing their jobs, but the list has shrunk as most of the officials submitted paperwork to the district showing they met the certification requirements.

The four remaining are John Clothier, principal of Schools of Choice; Doug Weir, principal of the Genesee Area Skill Center; Sandra Hodges, principal of McKinley Academy; and Bonita Bingham, who oversees the district's after-school program.

Administrators who oversee education programs, such as building principals, must complete a minimum of six college credits, 18 continuing education units or a combination of both every five years, said Martin Ackley, a spokesman for the Michigan Department of Educati
on.

The district last month issued
a stern warning to the administrators saying they had until Friday to prove they met the requirements or they would be terminated.

The certification originally was due by June 30, 2004.

Albert Price, director of the master's and public administration program at University of Michigan-Flint, said he suspects Flint isn't alone in having school administrators who may not be certified.

He said the new rules were approved by the state Board of Education last year, but similar rules have been enforced on and off over the years, resulting in considerable confusion.

Price said an administrative certification bill is pending in the state Legislature, but lawmakers have not acted on it.

Price was surprised that Flint is taking such a hard-line stance on the issue.

"I suspect not having (certified administrators) is much more widespread than we know," Price said. "But I have not heard anybody being sanctioned by th
e state for not having administrators in compliance."

David Comsa, Flint's direct
or of human relations, said the district is being pro-active in requiring the certification.

The Flint Journal sent an e-mail to more than 40 other Flint-area school districts and charter schools asking whether their administrators were certified, and 24 districts and charter schools responded all saying their administrators were certified.

Flint school officials negotiated with the state to get the deadline extended until Friday, Comsa said.

But Ackley said there was no special deadline extension given to Flint that he could determine after talking with state officials.

Flint officials believe most of their administrators have done the required work but are lacking the paperwork to prove it.

"I'm rounding up my transcripts," Clothier said. "I think the district has bent over backwards for us, but I think it's our fault. I don't blame anybody but the ad
ministrators ourselves."

Clothier said he will prove he has met the requirements by the deadline.

Bingham, director of the district'
s Bridges to the Future program, said she is taking the final class she needs to meet the requirement, and she expects to submit her paperwork by the Friday deadline.

"You work some long hours, and personal things fall through the cracks, like making sure all your transcripts are in," Bingham said.

Weir said he took classes on student discipline and Internet instruction last June and is waiting for the transcripts, and he will have the documentation in by the deadline.

Hodges could not be reached for comment.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index....34609118760.xml

Back